Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Unplanned Christmas Events (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30754)

Chevvyf1 18th December 2013 10:12 AM

Unplanned Christmas Events

Well, no matter what they happen and cause us to react !

a few years ago, Parents of two darling little boys we looked after 3 days a week, phoned just as we were going into Winchester by bus, for our annual trip out, on Christmas Eve for a wander about the Cathedral & French Christmas Market then lunch and a bus home at dusk to view the Christmas Lights enroute ...

Nice plan ... BUT the phone rang and I answered it ... their Dining room Ceiling had "fallen down" ... it being an old Edwardian House lovingly restored ... Nick wanted to let them find a builder somewhere ... so we could go on our way and enjoy our Christmas ...

But I said "SHE (mum) is 7 months pregnant with 3rd baby ; they are having a first Christmas at their home with all both families ... and he can't do it (dad had right leg amputated from below the knee at age 11) he cannot bend down and pick something up ... like plasterboard ...

It had been a week earlier they had a bath over filled flood above ...

Nick went and got changed from fine clothes as me ... and off we went - I bought Mum and the two boys back here to ours, where the playroom provided all the entertainment the boys could want ; mum could get lunch - fish fingers, waffles and beanz were pushed into the oven and I went back to help with running up and down a board pushing a wheel barrow of debris (shovelled in by dad, as Nick was hooking down the unsafe remainder of the ceiling). Nick then nail gunned a thick vinyl clear sheet to the ceiling, I swept up and left dad with the mop and hoovering to do ... as I came home to collect mum and children ...

Then Nick and I took a shower, poor a glass of bubbly and ate some cheese on toast and watched a film !

LAST YEAR we did not answer the phone ... but met neighbours at the bus stop ... the day before New Years Eve ... who were getting married next day and could not afford a photographer as they charged so much for that DATE ... so we took a few for them ...

SO THIS YEAR ???

we got an email from one of the babies mums to say "were getting married on Monday 23rd" could you ...

STILL at least its known in advance and planned for us :) but I shall not answer the PHONES from MONDAY 7pm

I think we are lucky, a friends nephew took his dads car and killed himself so they have a funeral Monday !

Any funny or inconveniencing Christmas larks to tell ? :D

CHIN UP; Keep Calm and SIP slowly smiling ! *chr is my advice

PS yes we are having the baby overnight Monday next :) and we are taking a couple of photos at the small (4 Guests) Registry office wedding - they have been together for 17 years !

The Technician 18th December 2013 11:41 AM

Re: Unplanned Christmas Events

This is all what makes life interesting *chr

Chevvyf1 18th December 2013 11:50 AM

Michael, I am happy bored :) with a quiet two weeks this Christmas :)

macmcgill 18th December 2013 01:06 PM

Well its back to work for me tonight, joining in Lowestoft in the morning.

Where I will be regaled with the usual tales of sailormen having Christmas early. So that'll be at least 3 dodgy sexual encounters, 4 unfortunate clashes with the local constabulary, 2 upset mothers in law and one guy who is now single.

You could write a song about that I expect. We do every other one away, so you get used to the tales of woe, and try not to laugh to much at em. But I expect the banter on board over the festive season to be quite lively and unrepeatable here! It usually is.

dogsbody 18th December 2013 01:06 PM

Does the spontaneous irresponsible purchase of a 60mm macro 2.8 Count as an unplanned Christmas event?
*crazyxmas

Chevvy I hold you responsible for this! you sang priase for the lens on another thread, and
another subscriber on a different thread mentioned London Camera Exchange's used stock and that is where I found it.

This smacks of a conspiracy :eek:

Jonathan

Chevvyf1 18th December 2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmcgill (Post 270283)

Where I will be regaled with the usual tales of sailormen having Christmas early. So that'll be at least 3 dodgy sexual encounters, 4 unfortunate clashes with the local constabulary, 2 upset mothers in law and one guy who is now single.

You could write a song about that I expect. We do every other one away, so you get used to the tales of woe, and try not to laugh to much at em. But I expect the banter on board over the festive season to be quite lively and unrepeatable here! It usually is.

Well given your tale sailormen ... its amazing you have been married so long - perhaps sending husbands to sea half their life is the answer ;) *yes

I want to ask are you Navy or ? I forget what the other is on freight or cruise ships or fishing ?

Whatever wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy 2014 with more time for photography :)

Chevvyf1 18th December 2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody (Post 270284)
Does the spontaneous irresponsible purchase of a 60mm macro 2.8 Count as an unplanned Christmas event?
*crazyxmas

Chevvy I hold you responsible for this! you sang priase for the lens on another thread, and
another subscriber on a different thread mentioned London Camera Exchange's used stock and that is where I found it.

This smacks of a conspiracy :eek:

Jonathan

Jonathan, I am exceedingly sorry to have made you BUY this 60m lens - :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) SEND IT BACK IMMEDIATELY *chr NOW !

Honest its UTTERLY AWESOME :)

ps Have I told you about the 75 and 45 yet ? ok I'll hold that for your birthday (when is it ?) and your 2nd birthday (Fathers Day) ;) ;) ;)

dogsbody 18th December 2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 (Post 270290)
Jonathan, I am exceedingly sorry to have made you BUY this 60m lens - :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) SEND IT BACK IMMEDIATELY *chr NOW !

Honest its UTTERLY AWESOME :)

ps Have I told you about the 75 and 45 yet ? ok I'll hold that for your birthday (when is it ?) and your 2nd birthday (Fathers Day) ;) ;) ;)

yes I have heard of those, but for now further purchases are a *nono

and I am still a couple of months away from my birthday.

It was a lucky find really because If I had not seen this advertised second hand I would not have taken the plunge, but saving a few on the lens was too tempting

on a serious note, any tips for the 60mm ?

macmcgill 18th December 2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 (Post 270289)
Well given your tale sailormen ... its amazing you have been married so long - perhaps sending husbands to sea half their life is the answer ;) *yes

I want to ask are you Navy or ? I forget what the other is on freight or cruise ships or fishing ?

Whatever wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy 2014 with more time for photography :)

I am assured by the wife that a husband for a month at a time is about right! After 25 days or so its "when are you going back?".

I am Merchant Navy, these days I just work in the North Sea, as its closer to home. I drive an ERRV - the Putford Guardian.

And merry Christmas and a healthy hale and harty new year to all.

Chevvyf1 18th December 2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody (Post 270326)
yes I have heard of those, but for now further purchases are a *nono

and I am still a couple of months away from my birthday.

It was a lucky find really because If I had not seen this advertised second hand I would not have taken the plunge, but saving a few on the lens was too tempting

on a serious note, any tips for the 60mm ?

Yes ! USE IT lots *chr I took lots of Birds of Prey with it - they are on here in my gallery and larger on my Flicker :) Enjoy ! Its an AWESOME Lens :D

Chevvyf1 18th December 2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmcgill (Post 270327)
I am assured by the wife that a husband for a month at a time is about right! After 25 days or so its "when are you going back?".

I am Merchant Navy, these days I just work in the North Sea, as its closer to home. I drive an ERRV - the Putford Guardian.

And merry Christmas and a healthy hale and harty new year to all.

oooh! took a lookie thats a interesting "ship" :) Enjoy working over Christmas :)

Chevvyf1 18th December 2013 08:51 PM

WoW a month full time - must equate to 4 months part time :) thats stressful !

Ann1e 18th December 2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmcgill (Post 270283)

Well I see she arrived in port at 17.37 this evening so all is well. It's amazing the info you can google!

Regards,
Ann1e

DerekW 18th December 2013 11:17 PM

So what does a Standby Safety Vessel do?
Apart from providing a refuge from misalliances on shore for the vulnerable <G>

macmcgill 19th December 2013 06:52 AM

Google ERRV its quicker than me explaining it all