Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Message from Olympus UK re E-M1 supply issues (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29497)

Ian 9th October 2013 08:21 AM

Message from Olympus UK re E-M1 supply issues

I have been in touch again with Olympus' Mark Thackara and here is a message for everyone who is experiencing delays and uncertainties regarding the supply of their E-M1 plus lenses/accessories:

I agree it is all frustrating but demand is higher than expected and whilst communication needs improving we are working on this.

1 - It is only week or so since we started shipping

2- We did not promise anywhere that I am aware of (and I have asked about news letters and web etc) that on-line shop orders would get preference.

3 - We started to ship to dealers and to initial on-line orders at the same time with based on the proportion of customer pre-orders.

4 - Re our plans for dealers: The overwhelming emphasis in our planning is to try and promote a healthy dealer sector - how else will people see product? Giving people the option to order on-line direct is something we have done for some time as do most other companies. Some people prefer it and it gives choice. The sectors will co-exist.

5 - The whole payment process was based on the pre-launch delivery information i.e: it was thought that orders could be fulfilled within the 30 day banking guidelines. Some deliveries have slipped and if people would prefer a refund and to re-order - they can. I am told we were trying to do the best for those who ordered early to avoid missing out. A single unit I am aware of slipped through the net to a branch without a pre-order but for the vast majority, things are shipping to orders.

Whatever happens we will ensure no one who has a genuine order misses out on the promotion - I can't say much more than that.

I want to personally emphasise that the e-group was conceived by myself and Mark to be a conduit through which Mark and his colleagues could assist Olympus customers and I think the track record of the site speaks for itself. Many members have been helped through the site over the 6-7 years we have been running and the aim continues.

We've been through similar new model supply issues in the past and I am not aware of anyone here who has been left unfairly high and dry. We aren't going to change now!

Ian

G2EWS 9th October 2013 08:53 AM

Re: Message from Olympus UK re E-M1 supply issues

Well done and thank you Ian and Mark,

This is the communication we needed.

Best regards

Chris

sapper 9th October 2013 09:26 AM

Thank you Ian and Mark.
Must say I love this forum, not sure about other brands but one of the head honchos in Oly UK is in touch with ordinary users like me.

But it is like waiting for Christmas for my new toy:D

Bikie John 9th October 2013 09:37 AM

Thank you Ian and Mark. The message is reassuring, and it illustrates one aspect of the benefits the forum brings.

John

catkins 9th October 2013 10:21 AM

As said in another thread on this forum, I'm quite relieved to have a bit of time to relax, read up and trying to learn what new techniques 'manic November' will bring to me - bizarrely, it feels a bit like being in the dentist's waiting room waiting for the inevitable filling, only to find that they have a lovely reclining chair, a bright light that feels like the sun, a photo on the wall of a lovely beach and relaxing chill-out music . . . . the anticipation and the mind games beforehand are hopefully the worst part of the whole event!!
So far, my only 'bugbear' with Olympus is that they have stopped producing four thirds cameras - hopefully the E-M1 will prove to me how wrong my fears of change are, with the back-up that the new Pro lenses will prove that the long history of top quality Olympus four thirds mount glass is being successfully transferred to micro four thirds.
Anyhow, many thanks Mark for the update via Ian and this Forum - communication with the loyal supporters is and will continue to be the key to Olympus's future / continued success! Hopefully, by Christmas, we will all be forgetting about 'pre-orders', 'supply and demand' and 'promotion', and concentrating on something else!!
Regards
Chris

bilbo 9th October 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catkins (Post 255807)
Hopefully, by Christmas, we will all be forgetting about 'pre-orders', 'supply and demand' and 'promotion', and concentrating on something else!!

Like taking pictures perhaps! *chr

catkins 9th October 2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbo (Post 255810)
Like taking pictures perhaps! *chr

Or suddenly remembering that I've double booked myself for relatives and in-laws - nothing like a bit of crisis management at Christmas time!! *zzz
Regards
Chris

Bruce Clarke 9th October 2013 10:59 AM

Thanks for the update Mark and Ian. Reading between Mark's lines, it sounds like dealers are getting priority over the online shop, and haven't heard of anyone who has had an E-M1 related delivery from the latter. I ordered late from the shop, so am not expecting it yet, but those ordered early will hopefully get a fair allocation soon.

Bruce

benvendetta 9th October 2013 11:20 AM

Thanks Mark and Ian. Although I have yet to order, it is good to know that Olympus UK are engaging with members of this forum direct.

I have some information about another combined venture that I will share with you soon :)

jamsa 9th October 2013 11:27 AM

I look forward to some more communication from here....ie for example when you ship the next batch out....the kits lens arrivals and anticipated despatch etc. but thank you for this update.
I was close to cancelling the order and looking at other formats , brands and deals but I am still swaying to the E-M1 atm.
I don't spend just short of £2,000 lightly and my wife wont let me forget it so the sooner she sees something in my hand for it the safer and happier I will be!

bilbo 9th October 2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamsa (Post 255828)
... and my wife wont let me forget it so the sooner she sees something in my hand for it the safer and happier I will be!

Tell her she can have her hair done again *couple :)

Grumpy Hec 9th October 2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbo (Post 255831)
Tell her she can have her hair done again *couple :)

I bet that happens anyway and that the price is "secret". It is in my house anyway :confused:

Hec

simonknee 9th October 2013 03:43 PM

Is it possible to discover why my "day one" EM-1 body/grip/mmf3 order is now due an 8th Nov delivery?

Simon

Alpha1 9th October 2013 04:03 PM

I am just pleased that I pre-ordered through a reliable premier dealer. Thank you. *chr

sapper 9th October 2013 05:16 PM

I had a phone call from Camera World today. "Mr Hall?", "Yes?" "Did you order an Olympus EM-1 from us?"?, 'Yes I did", (Heart thumping, it's in I thought).
"Well it's not in yet", "Poo".
"Did you know you can get a spare battery, ETC from Olympus if you registered?', 'Yes I did and I have".

Must say I thought it was a bit early, not due in till November, but did get just a little excited when he said who he was.

But what good customer service I thought. They didn't have to remind me to register.
It's no wonder I will shop with them in future.