Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-510 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   E510 firmware update (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=266)

RogerMac 7th December 2007 09:52 PM

E510 firmware update

I am getting the distinct impression that after updating my E510 firmware the noise and sharpness at ISO 1600 has improved. I first noticed it on some very large enlargements (between A0 and A1 on cropped portions of the original) and then going back to the original test shots that I took when it was new in July and attempting to repeat them in the same lighting conditions I am convinced that there is a noticeable improvement - especially in the JPGs but also just noticeable in RAW.

So my question to Ian is, am I deluding myself or did Oly take the opportunity to slip in an undocumented improvement?

Thanks

Roger

Ian 8th December 2007 10:22 AM

Re: E510 firmware update

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerMac (Post 1861)
I am getting the distinct impression that after updating my E510 firmware the noise and sharpness at ISO 1600 has improved. I first noticed it on some very large enlargements (between A0 and A1 on cropped portions of the original) and then going back to the original test shots that I took when it was new in July and attempting to repeat them in the same lighting conditions I am convinced that there is a noticeable improvement - especially in the JPGs but also just noticeable in RAW.

So my question to Ian is, am I deluding myself or did Oly take the opportunity to slip in an undocumented improvement?

Thanks

Roger

It's not something I have noticed myself. Do you mean 1.2? I must confess I haven't upgraded to that yet as it's only supposed to enable the EC-20 converter to work and I don't have one yet. This does mean I'm in the position to do a before and after comparison :)

Ian

beardedwombat 8th December 2007 11:28 AM

I also reckon the IS has improved a little too, but its difficult to quantify.
Chris

RogerMac 8th December 2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1894)
It's not something I have noticed myself. Do you mean 1.2? I must confess I haven't upgraded to that yet as it's only supposed to enable the EC-20 converter to work and I don't have one yet. This does mean I'm in the position to do a before and after comparison :)

Ian

yes I have installed 1.2 and it is after that installation that I noticed it. I also think that IS is improved slightly - but that was documented

Roger

emirpprime 9th December 2007 11:30 AM

They really should tell us about these things! Even if they just leak a rumour via a mid-level slip of the tongue. It would add more to their reputation to know they are still improving lond realeased models.
Phil