Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Windows 10 raw image viewer (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50722)

DavyG 6th June 2019 04:50 PM

Windows 10 raw image viewer

The latest update to Windows 10 (1903) will now display raw image files including .ORF images.

To view the files, ensure you have the latest Windows 10 update and download the Raw Image Extension from the Windows store.

Dave

AMc 6th June 2019 09:40 PM

Re: Windows 10 raw image viewer

I tried this earlier and it seems I need the early access Windows Update so it’ll have to wait as I use my pcs to earn my living and can’t risk installing beta stuff.
Looks like it should be good when it’s ready though.

Pjphoto59 6th June 2019 10:52 PM

I have just installed Win 10 Feature Update Version 1903. I set it to start the installation late yesterday evening. The whole rigmarole was completed at 18:00 hours today. So I do not recommend doing it if you need your computer in a hurry.

I was pleasantly surprised that my computer (Dell 5000) seems to run much faster now.

I did not understand the comment that Version 1903 permits viewing of RAW files. I use *.ORF, *.ARW and *.DNG files, and these are and have always been visible in file explorer, either as a list, or as thumbnails.

Or am I missing something here?

Tordan58 7th June 2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 (Post 482350)
I did not understand the comment that Version 1903 permits viewing of RAW files. I use *.ORF, *.ARW and *.DNG files, and these are and have always been visible in file explorer, either as a list, or as thumbnails.

I think a missing piece of information is that the OP refers to ORF files originating from the E-M1 Mark 2, which so far will not be displayed as thumbnails (contrary to the E-M1/E-M5). I still have to update to version 1903 to confirm the support.

AMc 7th June 2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 (Post 482350)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tordan58 (Post 482370)
I think a missing piece of information is that the OP refers to ORF files originating from the E-M1 Mark 2, which so far will not be displayed as thumbnails (contrary to the E-M1/E-M5). I still have to update to version 1903 to confirm the support.

Yup my PEN E-PL5 .ORF files have thumbnails in explorer but the ones from the slightly more modern E-M10 and E-M10ii do not.
Microsoft previously offered a Camera Pack with Win 8 that included RAW support for a lot of cameras, they then integrated that with Win 10 but never updated the supported cameras.

Pjphoto59 7th June 2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tordan58 (Post 482370)

Thanks for that, I have an EM1i and an EM5 ii, which both worked OK

Otto 7th June 2019 02:47 PM

I'm on Win10 v1809 and according to "Check for updates" am up to date. Most of my .orf files (E-M5i, E-M1i, XZ-10, E-300, E-620) display as thumbnails in File Explorer but the Pen-F does not. I have not been offered the 1903 update so far.

Pjphoto59 7th June 2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 482374)
I'm on Win10 v1809 and according to "Check for updates" am up to date. Most of my .orf files (E-M5i, E-M1i, XZ-10, E-300, E-620) display as thumbnails in File Explorer but the Pen-F does not. I have not been offered the 1903 update so far.

Richard,

Besides my proper computers I have a 10" tablet by Terra. Until last week it had a removable keyboard, but now that does not work any longer. It has 27GB free of 57GB.

It is now offering me the chance to update to version 1903. Needless to say I will not be accepting this offer. . .

blu-by-u 8th June 2019 04:53 AM

:mad: just early this year I PAID tor that plugin so that i can view those ORF thumbnails :mad:

drmarkf 8th June 2019 10:15 AM

I see that Crashplan will be withdrawing support from 1803 in November this year: as ever, there are swings and roundabouts over installing updates that vary with different people's use cases.

I'm planning to replace my desktop machine over the summer, so I won't be taking the update on my old one.

Graham_of_Rainham 9th June 2019 05:05 PM

It took a few hours, but I now have W10 1903 and RAW Codex.

All good so far and laptop seems quicker to load programs... :)

AMc 24th June 2019 01:48 PM

My update just went through, I installed the viewer and it looks pretty good to me!

Otto 4th July 2019 05:31 PM

This old Dell spent about four hours updating itself to v1903 this afternoon and, once again, my Epson scanner software has been deleted and all my multimedia file associations reset to open with the W10 native apps (Photos etc) despite me having reassigned them to more useful ones. This is Windows 10 Professional too - changing a user's system without notice doesn't seem very professional to me. This happens with every "feature" update i.e. twice a year, and is very annoying.

AMc 5th July 2019 10:07 AM

I left mine downloading and verifying all morning - when I came back after lunch the PC was mid update - having closed all my programs including losing some work.
Windows Update - and the feature updates especially - are pretty disruptive.
It's partly my own fault for forcing the update so I could try the RAW viewer :)