Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   DxO Optics Pro 6 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7971)

PeterBirder 20th January 2010 08:50 PM

DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Hi Everyone

I am currently trying out the trial version of DxO Optics Pro 6 and thought that some other less experienced newbies like myself might like to see something of the results it can achieve "out of the box" with the default settings.. No doubt more experienced members will tell me I need to practice a lot more to get really good results:o.
My initial interest in this software stems from my recent acquisition of the superb ZD 9-18mm and the need for some perspective correction. This element of the programme works brilliantly. A single click straightens verticals and crops the image automaticaly, very easy and quick. I have also been impressed by how well the automatic white ballance correction works.

RawTherapee + GIMP

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PC193179-4.jpg

RawTherapee + straightened in Gimp

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PC193179-5.jpg

DxO only

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PC193179-6.jpg

RawTherapee + Gimp

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PC193187-3.jpg

DxO only

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PC193187-4.jpg

Would be interested to learn of others experiences/thoughts on this software

Regards

Kiwi Paul 20th January 2010 09:26 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
I have the trial version and have processed a few shots with it, I must admit some shots do come out well without any extra processing but I prefer Lightroom as I familiar with it and I like to decide how my pics come out and I enjoy processing photos in LR, I find it lets me put a stamp on them making them uniquely mine. I processed a few shots in LR then let DXO process the same shots for comparison and I preferred my versions.

Paul

PeterBirder 20th January 2010 09:37 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Thanks for your thoughts Paul. Will add them to my evaluation process.

steve s 21st January 2010 07:25 AM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Hi Peter, I have been using the trial version of this software for the last 3 weeks and will be purchasing the full license when this expires. Also like yourself I found that the ZD 9-18mm needs perspective correction, quite a lot infact when you do a comparason). I think its a great bit of software, being new to dslr photography I have tried all the trial versions from other software houses and I found this the most easy and quickest to use, especialy with the batch processing function which I couldnt find on any of the other editing products, no doubt someone will tell me photoshop etc can do this as well, but my mind is now made up, DxO Optics Pro all the way for me!*chr

Steve

Batman 21st January 2010 12:34 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
I have been using it for a month or so. The main reason for the purchase was the ease and quality of the RAW conversion, even using the default preset. Wanting to shoot RAW at all times I was finding ACR (with Elements7) required a bit too much effort and time from me and I wasn't sure that I was getting the best from it. Batch processing was possible but not as easy as with DxO Optics Pro.

The automatic lens correction is another great benefit that I am starting to appreciate more.

There is no looking back for me.

PeterBirder 21st January 2010 10:11 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Hi steve s and Batman

Thanks for your inputs. I am hoping that the post Christmas dent in the bank ballance will subside before my free trial of DxO Pro runs out ;) . This certainly seems to be the software that will make my RAW conversion and PP less of a chore and more successful :).

Kiwi Paul 21st January 2010 11:58 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
All the best and hope you find DxO suits your needs. I'm don't know why some folk find post processing a chore though, I think it's a chance to be creative and produce something "unique", I enjoy the pp as much as the photography.

Paul

Batman 22nd January 2010 08:16 AM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
I find that DxO does give a good starting point for further PP when required. I can't really afford the time for individual optimisation of all 'keepers'. I save that time for working on images that I think are a bit special to me (even though they might not be that good compared with the expert's work). I do agree, that PP can provide a great deal of enjoyment, but I am not very skilled at it yet, so it can eat up a lot of time. DxO gives me the opportunity to knock most of my keepers into shape, even if not optimised at this stage.

I also think that the automatic lens correction is really good.

Another factor may be that I don't possess Photoshop CS in any of it's versions, or Lightroom. I only have PSE7.

Also, I did buy DxO at their sale price last year, which I think made it particularly good value. Not sure if that is ongoing as I haven't looked.

PeterBirder 22nd January 2010 10:57 AM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Batman (Post 63209)
I find that DxO does give a good starting point for further PP when required. I can't really afford the time for individual optimisation of all 'keepers'. I save that time for working on images that I think are a bit special to me (even though they might not be that good compared with the expert's work). I do agree, that PP can provide a great deal of enjoyment, but I am not very skilled at it yet, so it can eat up a lot of time. DxO gives me the opportunity to knock most of my keepers into shape, even if not optimised at this stage.

I also think that the automatic lens correction is really good.

Another factor may be that I don't possess Photoshop CS in any of it's versions, or Lightroom. I only have PSE7.

Also, I did buy DxO at their sale price last year, which I think made it particularly good value. Not sure if that is ongoing as I haven't looked.

Hi Dave

Your situation ( existing software ) and what you gain from DxO seem to match my perceptions exactly.
Not sure what the sale price you mentioned was but it's 99 now.

Regards

Batman 22nd January 2010 02:39 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Hi Peter,

They were offering it at 69.00 up until the end of December. You could try asking for a discount. It is still probably worth the money though, even at full price.

Regards

Jim Ford 22nd January 2010 03:54 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Batman (Post 63245)
They were offering it at 69.00 up until the end of December. You could try asking for a discount. It is still probably worth the money though, even at full price.

Currently shows 99 on their site. Seems a lot of money for something you can get for free e.g. UFRaw, Rawtherapee and others.

Jim

Ian 22nd January 2010 04:52 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 63253)
Currently shows 99 on their site. Seems a lot of money for something you can get for free e.g. UFRaw, Rawtherapee and others.

Jim

Optics Pro is the product of many thousands of man-hours R&D. It's a unique product. Most free RAW programs are based on DCRAW and are adequate for simple RAW conversions, Optics Pro goes far beyond that and offers a batch processing workflow. DXO's noise and colour correction routines are advanced in their own right, but also tailored for specific camera models, meaning that the routines pre-empt the problems that they must solve. It's the same for supported lenses; each lens is profiled by actual testing of lens samples so that a knowledge base of the characteristic of each lens is built up. Optics Pro can then apply corrections to distortion geometry, sharpness, vignetting, and chromatic aberrations, automatically and with a great deal of effectiveness. Few people I know who have bought Optics Pro have been disappointed with its results and most are very enthusiastic.

Ian

CaptainD 22nd January 2010 06:10 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
I can only echo the positive comments made re Optics Pro. It certainly is the only RAW processor I have seen that automatically corrects the inbuilt lens distortion of a particular lens when used with the free downloadable modules.

As Ian mentioned so much time must have gone in to testing each body with different lenses. While I would love to have a few more Zuiko and other manufacturers lenses supported it must have taken a lot of resources to produce the modules that Dx0 have released.

I find it quite remarkable how much detail is gained when using this raw processor and I really do appreciate the time that is saved by using the auto settings. Having said that I am also starting to experiment with the multitude of easy to use manual controls.

I rarely buy a piece of software but having played with Optics pro I was won over and took the plunge and bought the software whilst it was discounted. I have not regretted it, a quite unique piece of software that has made me look forward for the first time to processing my images.

Cheers

Chris *chr

PeterBirder 23rd January 2010 12:09 AM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainD (Post 63265)
I can only echo the positive comments made re Optics Pro. It certainly is the only RAW processor I have seen that automatically corrects the inbuilt lens distortion of a particular lens when used with the free downloadable modules.

As Ian mentioned so much time must have gone in to testing each body with different lenses. While I would love to have a few more Zuiko and other manufacturers lenses supported it must have taken a lot of resources to produce the modules that Dx0 have released.

I find it quite remarkable how much detail is gained when using this raw processor and I really do appreciate the time that is saved by using the auto settings. Having said that I am also starting to experiment with the multitude of easy to use manual controls.

I rarely buy a piece of software but having played with Optics pro I was won over and took the plunge and bought the software whilst it was discounted. I have not regretted it, a quite unique piece of software that has made me look forward for the first time to processing my images.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Thanks Chris
It was your earlier enthusiastic post on DxO Pro that caused me to investigate this software and you have expressed my own impressions more eloquently than I did. I'm sold on it even at 99. *chr

Regards

CaptainD 24th January 2010 07:10 PM

Re: DxO Optics Pro 6
 
Dear Peter,

So sorry for assisting in spending you hard earned cash!

Cheers

Chris *chr


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger