Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus Pen-F (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Always liked the look of the Pen-F but..... (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49699)

Dave in Wales 2nd February 2019 11:28 AM

Always liked the look of the Pen-F but.....

I Googled...'Why should I buy a Pen-F'...and this came up *shrug

....The problem is that there aren't enough interesting things to talk about the Pen F. That's why it's a dull as dishwater disappointment.

From......https://www.digitalrev.com/article/5...disappointment

drmarkf 2nd February 2019 12:11 PM

Re: Always liked the look of the Pen-F but.....

Ha!
I’ve got a 5th reason - it CA focuses like a brick.

Anyway, I’ve got high hopes Oly will please many of us with the ii version this year (even Paul might be happy!).

Otto 2nd February 2019 12:38 PM

As several of the comments have noted, that's a pretty poor article. Anyway, I like mine :).

090657 2nd February 2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 470665)
As several of the comments have noted, that's a pretty poor article. Anyway, I like mine :).

Agree 100% Otto. It is a real `feel good` camera and I will never get rid of mine. Greater than the sum of its parts.

Tim

Justin44 2nd February 2019 03:58 PM

I love mine, I like the look, fit and function. Are all my photos spot on? He’ll no! But that’s more to do with my lack of skill than the camera. I have three cameras Leica Q, Leica d-lux 7 and the Pen F. And i’m Happy with them all.

Dave buy one and try it, if after a while it’s not for you sell it on and try something else.

Justin44.

pdk42 2nd February 2019 04:34 PM

Well, CAF is pretty awful, but SAF is just fine and TBH, that's all I ever use. It's also got a great feel to it and the image quality is actually ever so slightly better than the e-M1ii (highlights can be pushed more). Lovely camera. Especially in black ! :)

pdk42 2nd February 2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin44 (Post 470685)
I love mine, I like the look, fit and function. Are all my photos spot on? Heíll no! But thatís more to do with my lack of skill than the camera. I have three cameras Leica Q, Leica d-lux 7 and the Pen F. And iím Happy with them all.

Dave buy one and try it, if after a while itís not for you sell it on and try something else.

Justin44.

What do you think of the Leica Q? Is it significantly better than the Pen in real world use?

drmarkf 2nd February 2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 470687)
What do you think of the Leica Q? Is it significantly better than the Pen in real world use?

I was about to ask exactly the same question. A friend of mine in the US has got one that he uses for street photography; he gets fine results, but I suspect he would even if he used a Box Brownie.

I had a brief play and really enjoyed the tactile experience, if you see what I mean, but I know I'd miss a tilt or flip screen a lot.

pdk42 2nd February 2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 470694)
I had a brief play and really enjoyed the tactile experience, if you see what I mean, but I know I'd miss a tilt or flip screen a lot.

That's exactly what I always think. I really can't understand why anyone would design a camera these days without a flip or tilt screen.

drmarkf 3rd February 2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 470698)
That's exactly what I always think. I really can't understand why anyone would design a camera these days without a flip or tilt screen.

Quite, so why isnít there one on the Ricoh GRII, the Lumix LX100II, the Fuji XT-20...

pdk42 3rd February 2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 470722)
Quite, so why isnít there one on the Ricoh GRII, the Lumix LX100II, the Fuji XT-20...

All good questions. I was amazed when the LX100 II didn't have one. It would put me off buying for sure.

Ricoh 3rd February 2019 01:08 AM

I was nearly on the button to purchase a new MP, but WTF, no tilt screen!!!

Problem (almost) solved: I've found an after market stick on screen, a bit like the magnetic sketch'o' pad thingy from the 80's.

Justin44 4th February 2019 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 470687)

I love the Q, as I say Iím no great photographer, but the settings are all simple to use and itís quite forgiving (if that makes sense). I only shoot jpeg as I donít have the time to spend hours in front of a computer and 90% of the time itís on Aperture priority.

What I donít like - fixed focal length, which is why I bought the Pen F and lenses.

- itís a bit bulky to take everywhere, which is why I bought the Dlux 7.

I donít miss a tilt screen, the lens is so wide I find, if you hold it above your head or below your waist and just point it in the right direction then youíll be close enough.

Like I say I take photos for fun and a huge collection of family albums.

benvendetta 4th February 2019 12:10 PM

I love my Pen F too. Didn't buy it for the CAF performance, bought it for the 20MP sensor, which my EM1.1 didn't have. It is also extremely cool :D:D But I have the 1.2 now so 20MP sensors :D:D:D