Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Computer choice Mac or PC (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31624)

dogsbody 18th February 2014 07:12 PM

Computer choice Mac or PC

My laptop, a 4 year old Asus is on its last legs, also it has struggled with photoshop particularly the quick selection tool, It chugs to a halt after I lose my patience.

Having the purchase of an I-mac vetoed by SWMBO on the grounds that it is too big may I ask if any of you use a mac book? If so what type and how does it cope with photo shop etc?

any other advice will also be gratefully received.

many thanks folks.

Jonathan

mini0ne 18th February 2014 07:22 PM

Re: Computer choice Mac or PC

MacBooks are a dream current ones are more than up to running photoshop

If you prefer desktop and have monitor etc have you considered Mac mini?

If you prefer windows check out dell outlet some bargains to be had there

StephenL 18th February 2014 07:30 PM

I've just swapped to an iMac (from the Apple refurbished store) after 20+ years of professionally supporting Windows. Not knocking Microsoft, but it seems Mac has now come of age compared with Windows 8. The learning curve was just a slight bend.

dogsbody 18th February 2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mini0ne (Post 280073)
MacBooks are a dream current ones are more than up to running photoshop

If you prefer desktop and have monitor etc have you considered Mac mini?

If you prefer windows check out dell outlet some bargains to be had there

We no longer have a monitor as we moved to laptops a few years ago, the attraction of a mac is the quality of the screen. The longevity of laptops is a concern,

The first was a sony, it did not mix well with a full mug of coffee
Second was a Toshiba, lasted 3 years before becoming painfully slow and eventually expiring. And the present one is an Asus and is going the same way as the Toshiba. Windows seems to have lost its way and I think 8 is not the best for me!

Mini0ne may I ask what specification yours is please?

mini0ne 18th February 2014 08:07 PM

I have a current MacBook Air with 4gb ram and ssd haswell chipset and easy 10 hours battery

DerekW 18th February 2014 08:37 PM

There is a useful alternative to Photoshop - Pixelmator - about £25 ish - however if you have a current ish Photoshop they will do a transfer licence for you - or they used to.

You also have an alternative to Lightroom - Aperture - which would minimise the need for Photoshop so Pixelmator or Gimp (which is free) would enable you to do transforms and heavy layers work that you think you cannot do in Aperture.

Before you buy a copy of MS Office check out the iWork suite of Pages, Numbers and Keynote - all are a lot cheaper than MS Office for the Mac.

When you buy a new Macbook - also budget for a backup drive and a Time capsule to ensure that you have proper backup of your data.

Good luck

dogsbody 18th February 2014 09:45 PM

thank you all for your help!

Peter_Hartland 18th February 2014 10:37 PM

I switched to Mac from 20 yrs of PCs 7 years ago, best thing I ever did. I have a 27" IMac & a MacBook Air each work well using LR & PS CC. My son replaced his 13" Macbook I bought 7 yrs ago just before Christmas (other son has it now) for a MacBook Retina i7 for doing video work for Uni, it is one hell of a laptop.

In the Apple store when we were buying it for him, they challenged me to open a number of different files in PS, LR plus & Final Cut to see if I could crash it or slow it down. They won & it sealed the deal. If he hadn't needed an i7 I would have bought it & given him my MacBook Air i5.

OM USer 18th February 2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody (Post 280078)
Windows seems to have lost its way and I think 8 is not the best for me!

Having dipped my toe into vista and w7 for other people (and not liked it) and heard horror stories about w8, I have now skipped straight from xp to w8.1. W8.1 is not bad, its just that there is no backwards compatability when syncing outlook contacts and calendar with windows mobile devices (you are meant to do it all on the cloud now) and the windows framework (border, scroll bars, etc) has lost some it clarity compared with XP.

I'm not trying to sway you either way. I think the choice is like choosing a games machine. Choose the games (or photo apps) you want to play and pick the machine that plays them. If there is an application/tool you must have (now or in the future) that is only available on one platform then the choice is clear.

One point to note, a modern powerful windows laptop has very limited battery life so don't stray to far from a power point. If you go this route then look for a machine with "optimus" technology (can switch from a fast graphics card to the slower less powerful and less power hungry inbuilt graphics) and read the reviews on battery life.

johela 19th February 2014 03:51 AM

I changed to macs from pc around 12 years ago now and have never regretted my decision. I use a mac book as my main computer but I have to confess I do occasionally turn to my relatively old IMac desktop if I have to do a lot of work in Lightroom or Photoshop.

ian p 19th February 2014 07:40 AM

A while ago I changed first to Ubuntu, then to Kubuntu. Which is fast on my main PC as well as an old laptop, I have the same programs on each using the application-sync. There is lots of software for photography. Digikam being a highlight. The only downer is the dopey old Olympus have not bothered to make the camera firmware updater available.

tomphotofx 19th February 2014 10:13 AM

I use an iMac and MacBook Pro 15" retina display! Switched from PC's 3 years ago as I was getting annoyed with the PC's playing up OS freezing etc, since the switch the iMac has performed flawlessly and none of the usual PC niggles appearing.

Software wise Adobe allow you to run 2 copies of Photoshop and Lightroom one on a Mac and one on a PC so it was a simple process to make the transition from one OS to another. It was easy enough to download Mac versions of other software that was on the PC or even upgrade from a PC version to Mac.

Whatever machine you decide to go with and you are going to run Photoshop get an i7 processor, 16 GB of ram an SSD hard drive and fast graphics card, expensive I know, but worth it in the long run and Photoshop will fly along in the fast lane putting a smile on your face as you work at your art.

Hope this helps.

DekHog 19th February 2014 12:33 PM

I've always been a hardened PC-ite myself, and Windows 7 was rock solid and a great OS - unfortunately the abomination that is Windows 8 is enough to drive even me to thinking of switching........ I'm sure if OEM's hadn't been forced into taking it on, Win 8 would have been an epic fail. :mad:

StephenL 19th February 2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DekHog (Post 280194)
I've always been a hardened PC-ite myself, and Windows 7 was rock solid and a great OS - unfortunately the abomination that is Windows 8 is enough to drive even me to thinking of switching........ I'm sure if OEM's hadn't been forced into taking it on, Win 8 would have been an epic fail. :mad:

And that's why I switched!

ian p 19th February 2014 12:40 PM

It seems the skip to Win 8.1 is the solution to the silly Win 8.0.