Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M5 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   new OM-D user ;) (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26108)

AJ40 12th March 2013 11:18 AM

new OM-D user ;)

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Well my new OM-D arrives today. As you can imagine; I am quite excited!
I went for the silver in the end, as I just loved the look of it over the black.

To complement this, I went for the Olympus 17mm 1.8 Now I know this lens has been both slated and applauded in equal measure. In the end, I looked at sample images from MR Huff and Robin Wong, and they sold me :) Charts and studio tests are fine, but at the end of the day it is the real world shooting I want to see.

I really wanted this OM-D for shooting 35mm (ok 34mm) street photography. I am hoping this will be the ticket. I will have the battery grip arriving as soon as I can fill out the online form for the free offer from Olympus and I am thinking this is going to be a great little outfit.

I have an olympus xz-1 at the moment and I am hoping that the OMD is going to be way way better than that considering the price hike. I love the xz-1 and have had some great images from it..just hoping the OMD is worth it and doesn't let me down.

I have attached a couple from my xz-1

look forward to chatting with you all and sharing my images and experiences with you all

edmund473 12th March 2013 12:06 PM

Re: new OM-D user ;)

Hello AJ40 welcome to the site all great people here, Congratulations on owning the OMD-M5 it's a wonderful camera look forward to seeing some of your photos regards John.

StephenL 12th March 2013 12:08 PM

And a welcome from me. Be interested to see your results with the 17mm.

AJ40 12th March 2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmund473 (Post 219596)
Hello AJ40 welcome to the site all great people here, Congratulations on owning the OMD-M5 it's a wonderful camera look forward to seeing some of your photos regards John.

thanks for the warm welcome john appreciated ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 219597)
And a welcome from me. Be interested to see your results with the 17mm.

Im keeping fingers crossed. I just hope it is good it isn't cheap for what it is. will get samples up as soon as I can ;)

StephenL 12th March 2013 12:19 PM

I really like that back-street shot. Where was that taken?

AJ40 12th March 2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 219599)
I really like that back-street shot. Where was that taken?

Thanks;) it was taken in Cambridge last weekend with the xz-1. think I'm going to get it printed on a canvas

Seonnaidh 12th March 2013 01:06 PM

Hello good evening and welcome. Glad to have you on board. Looking forward to seeing some of your images with the 17mm.

Wee man 12th March 2013 01:18 PM

Welcome looking forward to some of your shots.

brianvickers 12th March 2013 02:32 PM

I think you will be impressed with the OM-D....I don't own that lens or the XZ-1 but I do have the 17mm f2.8 which produces pretty good images with the OM-D and the new 17mm is going to be better. From you images it looks like it will be in capable hands. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

brian1208 12th March 2013 02:42 PM

Welcome to the clan and enjoy your new tool

The bike is a classic subject for B&W treatment

Zuiko 12th March 2013 02:48 PM

And welcome from me, too. You'll love the E-M5; the XZ-1 is a superb camera and one of the finest compacts produced but in terms of handling, performance, image quality and features the E-M5 outclasses it, as you would expect!

I'd love to get my hands on a 17mm f1.8! :D

Alpha1 12th March 2013 03:43 PM

Another welcome from me AJ. I think that you are going to love the OM-D...but we are all biased here anyway!:rolleyes: But for very good reasons, the IQ is up there with the best of 'em, all in a a very manageable little package.

It makes a stunning street camera and the range of mFT lenses is superb; so plenty of room and time to enjoy the full flexibility that this little system has to offer.

Have fun and post often! *yes

Swordfish 12th March 2013 05:13 PM

Welcome also.

You will love the OM-D, but be prepared to be seduced by those other lovely prime lenses!

Martin

Pierre L 12th March 2013 05:16 PM

Welcome from me to. The 45mm is really nice and it's a good price as well. Great for taking available-light pictures of my grand-daughter and my kitty.
Pierre

OM USer 12th March 2013 05:29 PM

Welcome. 2 nice images; I thought I recognised the second.