Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Local Photo (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12359)

stevednp3 22nd December 2010 12:33 PM

The Local Photo

Im not sure if this is ok for me to post, if not please let me know and I'll remove the post, but hopefully this will be of interest to everyone ;)

I have setup a new stock photography site called The Local Photo

http://www.thelocalphoto.com

After doing research I believe that there is a market for a stock website, concentrating just on Local photos, this will primary be aimed at the general public wanting high quality prints of their local area, news and media agencies (giving them a quick and easy resource to photos of a news related area) and then graphic designs etc.

Im starting off prices at £10 for a high res image, then £1 and £4 for smaller sizes.

This site will be a lot more open in accepting images to give amateur photographers more of a chance at selling their images, rather than trying to get accepted at the likes of Istockphoto and getty etc.

Signing up and uploading your photos is FREE, we will handle all of the sales, promotion and customer support. We offer a 50% commission on all sales and this will be paid to you at the end of each month.

Due to server costs there is a 2mb upload limit at the moment, but if all goes well I hope to raise this soon.

If you cant see your area listed, email me on info@thelocalphoto.com and we will create it for you, just upload to the nearest area for now and we will move it for you later.

I see stunning local photos submitted on this forum everyday, I trust you all think this is a good idea and look forward to seeing you sign up and submit your photos.

As this is a brand new idea, if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you, I do have plenty of ideas to add to the site, but I need to get it off the ground with content so I can start marketing it and then Iíll improve the site as I go along.

Thanks for your time

Steve

gno 22nd December 2010 01:15 PM

Re: The Local Photo

Hi Steve ,

Nice idea, I'm sure there will be lots of forum members interested too.
Just need to take some decent shots first!

Regards

Gavin

stevednp3 22nd December 2010 01:46 PM

Thanks Gavin - fingers crossed !!!!

theMusicMan 22nd December 2010 01:48 PM

I've joined Steve... will look to get some images up for you over the Christmas break.

Kiwi Paul 22nd December 2010 02:19 PM

What size (pixel count) and quality do you require?

Paul

stevednp3 22nd December 2010 02:30 PM

Thanks John and everyone else who has signed up

Paul, if you upload the best quality you can for a 2mb file, the site will then also generate a 600x and 1042x wide image to give 3 options High Res, Small and Medium

I will review the extra sizes and may add more options in the future and will also to be raising the file size limit.

stevednp3 22nd December 2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 95887)
I've joined Steve... will look to get some images up for you over the Christmas break.

John and anyone else who signed up, did you receive an email to confirm you have been activated ?

snaarman 22nd December 2010 02:41 PM

Signed up also

Pete

stevednp3 22nd December 2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 95891)
Signed up also

Pete

Thanks Pete, let me know if you get an email telling you, your activated *chr

Janet 22nd December 2010 02:48 PM

I received email OK.

Now I'd better go and take some decent photo's!

Janet

theMusicMan 22nd December 2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevednp3 (Post 95890)
John and anyone else who signed up, did you receive an email to confirm you have been activated ?

Yep Steve, within a minute or two of signing up.

stevednp3 22nd December 2010 02:56 PM

Thanks for letting me know, all seams to be working ok then, great :D

Hey you dont need to go out taking new photos, I KNOW you have great photos already, with all this snow around, why not take the time to look through your collection and submit some of them *yes

*chr

ndl0071 22nd December 2010 03:00 PM

Great idea, fingers crossed all goes well.

I've signed up but no e mail as yet (perhaps I've not been accepted :()

Kiwi Paul 22nd December 2010 03:05 PM

Can you add a Aberdeen and shire section?

Paul

gno 22nd December 2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndl0071 (Post 95897)
Great idea, fingers crossed all goes well.

I've signed up but no e mail as yet (perhaps I've not been accepted :()

Neil,

I think there are two types of membership.
One to view and buy and the other to submit photos.
I had a bit of trouble to start with, must have used the wrong part, tried again and it seemed to go through, just waiting for confirmation now.

Regards

Gavin