Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-420 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   E-420 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5471)

vikkijardhu 18th May 2009 09:03 PM

E-420

Hi I have just purchased an E-420 and am just finding my way around it.. want to know which is the best uv filter to use on 17-5-45 mm lens. *please Ta

Archphoto 19th May 2009 12:59 AM

Re: E-420

Some will say "none" (like me).
None of my lenses have an UV filter attached to them.
All you do is putting 2 glass surfaces in front of your front lens, for what ? Protection against damaging the front lens ?

It introduces more flare at times and unless you go to Nepal or other high mountaneous region you will not need UV protection.
I never needed it in the tropic's.

But if you want, get the best: B&W MRC filters.
I got a CPL from them that I occasionaly use.

Just think before you buy !

Peter

Melaka 19th May 2009 06:16 AM

It's hardly worth putting a filter on that particular lens. Save the money and put it towards one of the better short zooms (14-42, 14-54 or 12-60) or a 40-150.

mike_j 19th May 2009 07:56 AM

A lens hood improves the picture more by reducing flare and gives better mechanical protection against bumps.

theMusicMan 19th May 2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_j (Post 43885)
A lens hood improves the picture more by reducing flare and gives better mechanical protection against bumps.

Wholeheartedly agree there Mike. I often wonder why it is that I see many photographers not using a lens hood on their gear. Though I agree that replacing a UV filter can often be far cheaper than having a new front element replaced, using the lens hood significantly reduces the likelihood of damaging the front element.

I do tend to use my hoods all the time, and I don't have UV or skylight filters on all of my lenses.

vikkijardhu 19th May 2009 11:13 AM

Thanks all for your interesting replies..... I think the hood is a goer......
vikki

theMusicMan 19th May 2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikkijardhu (Post 43896)
Thanks all for your interesting replies..... I think the hood is a goer......
vikki

*chr Definitely the way to go. I'd really try to get used to using a lens hood on all your lenses if you can Vikki.

Remember, you can always turn it around and pop it back on to store it.

vikkijardhu 19th May 2009 01:51 PM

Many thanks for that John.....

buddha01 10th February 2012 12:42 AM

Well I've on all of my lenses an UV-filter. Mainly for protection. Although I always use my hoods. But then again, I "work" mainly outdoors, in a harsh environment. I'm namely an aircraft spotter and thus standing a lot at airports/Air Bases.;):D
This means often a lot of blown up dirt, etc. Especially at those places where planes turn on taxi ways and near the runways.:p
So, for me it's easier to clean my UV-filter and protect my glass and if necessarily replace the filter, then replace the whole lens. Which is much more expensive then replacing an UV-filter. Even when using a lens hood.:eek::p;)
Greetz,

David M 10th February 2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha01 (Post 150365)
Well I've on all of my lenses an UV-filter. Mainly for protection. Although I always use my hoods. But then again, I "work" mainly outdoors, in a harsh environment. I'm namely an aircraft spotter and thus standing a lot at airports/Air Bases.;):D
This means often a lot of blown up dirt, etc. Especially at those places where planes turn on taxi ways and near the runways.:p
So, for me it's easier to clean my UV-filter and protect my glass and if necessarily replace the filter, then replace the whole lens. Which is much more expensive then replacing an UV-filter. Even when using a lens hood.:eek::p;)
Greetz,

Actually it's better to use 2 filters, then if one gets damaged you can take it off and you've still got one filter.

Three's even better.

buddha01 10th February 2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 150367)
Actually it's better to use 2 filters, then if one gets damaged you can take it off and you've still got one filter.

Three's even better.

Since most of my lenses are Olympus lenses and all have a diameter of 58mm, I just swap the filter from one of the other lenses that i don't use that much.;):p:D
Also have a spare in my bag for just in case and if need be just buy a new one. But till date it wasn't necessary to either swap or replace my filters (jet). Only the cleaning after a day of spotting planes.;)

Greetz,

Ouch! 3rd August 2012 07:21 PM

I must admit I've always just shoved a skylight or UV filter on my lenses to protect from scratches etc.

This was something I did with all my old OM lenses and I've just carried on doing it. I've never really bothered using lens hoods.

The logic was; Why scratch a 300-400 lens, when when you can scratch a 1.20 filter?

I even knew an old photographer, who secured his UV filters with a single drop of superglue on the threads. (Although I think that's a bit excessive!)

Ouch!