Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How are we going to save the planet? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48951)

Naughty Nigel 8th October 2018 06:36 PM

How are we going to save the planet?

Todays report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) makes chilling reading. We have been kicking this into the long grass for far too long now and pretending that it isn't happening.

BBC Report - Final call to save the world from 'climate catastrophe'

I really do wonder what we can do both individually and collectively to avert this threatened disaster? Weather patterns and the seasons have undoubtedly changed in my lifetime, which is a mere pin prick in the history of our planet.

Aside from climate change deniers there are far too many people with vested interests at stake. It also seems the climate scientists had very tough negotiations with politicians more concerned with economies and living standards.

Whether we like it or not it seems to me that we will very soon have to make significant changes to our lifestyles, and may no longer be able to take travel and food from far flung countries for granted.

Or will we just carry on as normal and hope it doesn't happen?

Keith-369 8th October 2018 07:19 PM

Re: How are we going to save the planet?

But it always seems to be our very little (by comparison) country which seems to want to charge the heck out of us for everything not green or 'dirty' whilst the enormous countries of the world use cars/trucks with massive engines, coal fired plants etc. etc. etc. without doing anything at all and they are the ones who are so big that they can actually make a difference.

Sorry if that's not very eloquent but you know what I mean.

Beagletorque 8th October 2018 08:01 PM

Go vegan and pray.

TimP 8th October 2018 08:23 PM

What Keith said!

The climate change experts seem to want to fly all over the place to have their conferences yet try to tell the rest of us to ride bikes and walk. The rich Americans think driving their Prius (pious??) is doing their bit to save the planet, while the rest of them pollute the hell out of the country. Trump is just making things worse with some of his actions.
I wonder if all the people going to the Green Party conference will be cycling?

wornish 8th October 2018 08:25 PM

Global warming, or more recently renamed as its actually stopped to Climate Change IS happening (it never stops ), BUT its caused mainly by variations in the Suns output and other natural events, like volcanic eruptions.

All the scientists who support the fact that its caused by us humans are simply protecting their jobs and towing the correct line. They are a disgrace to the scientific community, no peer reviews apart from others on the payroll.

It's a scam. The political elite are behind it to make more money for themselves

Wally 8th October 2018 08:41 PM

As was mentioned in the article, loss of ice etc., makes it more economical to get what the few want. Thus enabling the rich to get easier picking at lesser cost whilst the planet goes to hell in a hand-cart.

There are times when I wonder if Sci-Fi writers have a time machine. The elite living on floating cities in absolute luxury whilst the rest, struggle along in the mire of cities chock-filled with discarded rubbish... so much for fining litter louts. Then there is the ultimate. the planet earth encased in a steel shell with humanity out in space continuing the process and moving on...

Still... nothing to worry about as according to a very highly sourced individual who likes to trumpet forth his views ... it's ALL FAKE NEWS!

pdk42 8th October 2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wornish (Post 459610)
Global warming, or more recently renamed as its actually stopped to Climate Change IS happening (it never stops ), BUT its caused mainly by variations in the Suns output and other natural events, like volcanic eruptions.

All the scientists who support the fact that its caused by us humans are simply protecting their jobs and towing the correct line. They are a disgrace to the scientific community, no peer reviews apart from others on the payroll.

It's a scam. The political elite are behind it to make more money for themselves

I can't believe just how wrong you can be.

wornish 8th October 2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 459612)
I can't believe just how wrong you can be.

Well prove it-

Produce your evidence that wasn't paid for by some or other conspiracy to get more money out us dummies.

pdk42 8th October 2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wornish (Post 459613)
Well prove it-

Produce your evidence that wasn't paid for by some or other conspiracy to get more money out us dummies.

I can't believe this level of ignorance. What qualifications do your have to assert these opinions?

wornish 8th October 2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 459611)
As was mentioned in the article, loss of ice etc., makes it more economical to get what the few want. Thus enabling the rich to get easier picking at lesser cost whilst the planet goes to hell in a hand-cart.

There are times when I wonder if Sci-Fi writers have a time machine. The elite living on floating cities in absolute luxury whilst the rest, struggle along in the mire of cities chock-filled with discarded rubbish... so much for fining litter louts. Then there is the ultimate. the planet earth encased in a steel shell with humanity out in space continuing the process and moving on...

Still... nothing to worry about as according to a very highly sourced individual who likes to trumpet forth his views ... it's ALL FAKE NEWS!

Who is this individual that the whole planet listens to ?

Where is this ICE loss has it never happened before ?

Does the sun never change its output?

wornish 8th October 2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 459614)
I can't believe this level of ignorance. What qualifications do your have to assert these opinions?

My qualification is not accepting bought and paid for propaganda, its called looking at ALL the facts not just going with the flow, that so easy, and lazy.

As expected you can't answer the question I raised in my earlier post. Does the Suns output never change, do volcanic eruption not happen, do climate change scientists choose not to look back further than 100 years?

Attacking the person not the point doesn't work sorry.

pdk42 8th October 2018 09:07 PM

For goodness sake - the evidence is overwhelming. It's as proven as the fact that smoking causes lung cancer or that obesity causes diebetes.

Please watch this video carefully and listen to the points and the EVIDENCE. Human global warming is not a theory, it's a fact. No other factors could possibly account for all the evidence we observe. People have invested tens of thousands of hours of their time to properly understanding climate change, usually for very little reward or recognition,
and yet for some reason we want to believe ignoramuses like Nigel Lawson who have almost zero expertise.

https://youtu.be/5LvaGAEwxYs

Jim Ford 8th October 2018 09:19 PM

In centuries to come an alien race will visit the Earth, which will be a hothouse with many species extinct - including our own.

They'll find plenty of money though!

Jim

pdk42 8th October 2018 09:19 PM

Along with climate change, it seems that deniers want to believe all sorts of nonsense. Pick from any of:

- NASA never went to the Moon
- The earth is flat
- 9/11 was a conspiracy by the US government
- Trump is a good President
- White people are smarter
- Megan Markle is a robot
- Various secret groups are controlling the world
- Lizards are controlling the world
- The Holocaust didn't happen
- Princess Diana was murdered by the Royal Family
- Brexit is a good idea

;)

Jim Ford 8th October 2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 459619)
Along with climate change, it seems that deniers want to believe all sorts of nonsense. Pick from any of:

- NASA never went to the Moon
- The earth is flat
- 9/11 was a conspiracy by the US government
- Trump is a good President
- White people are smarter
- Megan Markle is a robot
- Various secret groups are controlling the world
- Lizards are controlling the world
- The Holocaust didn't happen
- Princess Diana was murdered by the Royal Family
- Brexit is a good idea

;)

I guess that's a 'tick list' for 'Wornish'!

;)

Jim