Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Site news (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   HELP! Site changes probably need to be made (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48206)

Ian 27th June 2018 02:51 PM

Site changes probably need to be made

One by-product of generating a new stream of funding for the site through donations, Amazon affiliate commissions and other initiatives in the pipeline, is that I can spend more time and resources developing and maintaining the site.

The e-group forum is quite out of date and I would like to modernise it, but that would involve some changes that I suspect would be controversial.

At present, the gallery section is running on software that hasn't been supported for several years. This means it is incompatible with server enhancements that will make the site more robust and resistant to malicious attack, as well as bring the display capabilities up to date with mobile devices, like tablets and smartphones.

The forum itself is 3rd-generation vBulletin and 5th-generation vBulletin has been running for years. To pre-empt suggestions that we should migrate away from vBulletin, I'm not convinced that is worthwhile at present and, anyway, we are fully-licensed for vBulletin 5.

Our possible future could involve retiring the gallery. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything suitable that can replace it. I think we need to contemplate a future where image posting to the forum will require external image hosting. Many people already use, for example, Flickr - which is free and very flexible in its own right.

We certainly can keep things the way they are but I'm not confident that's best for the medium term.

I'd be very grateful for your feedback on the above and I will be very happy to answer any questions.

Ian

MJ224 27th June 2018 03:44 PM

Re: Site changes probably need to be made

Flickr works for me in its present form.....*chr

Ian 27th June 2018 03:48 PM

If we did upgrade to vBulletin 5, there would be better image posting facilities but without the advantages of a dedicated gallery.

Ian

Zuiko 27th June 2018 04:05 PM

If we were to upgrade to vBulletin 5 at the expense of the gallery, would threads that include pictures posted from the gallery still display those pictures? That to me would seem to be the biggest potential disadvantage, but I think an eventual upgrade is inevitable and if you already hold the license for vBulletin 5 it makes sense to take that route.

chris 27th June 2018 04:26 PM

Although I find the gallery useful just for ease of posting to threads, I’d happily switch to off site hosting as I do for other forums. Do whatever makes things smoother for your admin Ian, we’ll be fine!

Ian 27th June 2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 449873)
If we were to upgrade to vBulletin 5 at the expense of the gallery, would threads that include pictures posted from the gallery still display those pictures? That to me would seem to be the biggest potential disadvantage, but I think an eventual upgrade is inevitable and if you already hold the license for vBulletin 5 it makes sense to take that route.

I'm pretty sure the images already in posts will be unaffected. We did this on Four Thirds User and that was the case.

Ian

OM USer 27th June 2018 04:31 PM

We are in your capable hands Ian. My first thought is that it would certainly be problematic of existing threads lost their pictures. My second thought is that I like having a site gallery but it doesn't have to be the current one - I don't do flickr and who knows it may well go the same way as photobucket and restrict third party posting. Oh, and thank you for the hard work you put in.

Ian 27th June 2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OM USer (Post 449879)
We are in your capable hands Ian. My first thought is that it would certainly be problematic of existing threads lost their pictures. My second thought is that I like having a site gallery but it doesn't have to be the current one - I don't do flickr and who knows it may well go the same way as photobucket and restrict third party posting. Oh, and thank you for the hard work you put in.

The problem is that there just aren't any up to date third-party gallery bolt-ons that can do the job that PhotoPost has been doing. The one we purchased for Four Thirds User has been a disappointment, with the publisher uninterested in our requests for minor customisations.

If we are forced to abandon a gallery altogether I will provide as much assistance as possible in helping everyone get to grips with a suitable alternative.

Ian

shenstone 27th June 2018 05:39 PM

You are right that we have to move forwards

I would miss the dedicated gallery because it saves me having to worry about the T&C's on other sites and how they may want to monetize me in future, but I can learn other platforms and if I have to I will

I think the comments made about making sure current pictures still appear is valuable as one of the Land Rover forums I inhabit did a change than did not keep those. net result was 90% of the threads were no longer of value and 90% of the membership moved off that forum within a couple of months

However if it's just "from here on" we will just have to adjust

Regards
Andy

mik 27th June 2018 06:09 PM

As i am slowly getting more involved i have to admit i find the gallery system clunky and not on a par with other forums,so much so i stopped using it.

Ian 27th June 2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mik (Post 449887)
As i am slowly getting more involved i have to admit i find the gallery system clunky and not on a par with other forums,so much so i stopped using it.

Indeed - I am very aware of this!

Do the other forums you use have galleries or are they simply in-post photo facilities?

Ian

Phill D 27th June 2018 06:40 PM

I admit I do quite like the clunky gallery operation, probably as I've got pretty used to it over the years. However, most things generally change with upgrades and I do use Flickr as well so I'd be happy to post from there. At least until they stop us doing it or start charging the earth for it!
Ian is it possible to summarise what the visible and operational changes to the forum would be, just to get a heads up as to what we could expect.

Ian 27th June 2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill D (Post 449889)
I admit I do quite like the clunky gallery operation, probably as I've got pretty used to it over the years. However, most things generally change with upgrades and I do use Flickr as well so I'd be happy to post from there. At least until they stop us doing it or start charging the earth for it!
Ian is it possible to summarise what the visible and operational changes to the forum would be, just to get a heads up as to what we could expect.

Another ongoing task is to rebuild Four Thirds User so I will probably update the forum there first (it's already a later (version 4) version) - you will then be able to see how it compares. The same applies to DPNow.com.

Ian

wornish 27th June 2018 09:14 PM

If we lose the Gallery does that mean that all our posts from the Gallery will be lost ? My guess is Yes.

Some forums seem to have an easier to use photo posting model.

I am a member of this one http://cameraswithoutmirrors.com and uploading a photo could not be easier.
Not sure what they use but it is very simple.

I also use Flikr but don't really want to use that for posts on here.

Graham_of_Rainham 27th June 2018 09:15 PM

My Gallery on this site is very "messy" so a good clear out will be a good thing.

I do however use DPNow to hold images for use on this site, so would miss that more...