Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus Pen-F (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Grip (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44678)

benvendetta 1st April 2017 06:49 AM

Grip

Now I know the proper Oly grip is well over 100, which seems an awful lot, but does anyone have one of the cheaper versions available on Ebay and if so what sort of difference do they make when using the larger zooms like the 40-150 Pro?

Wee man 1st April 2017 05:52 PM

Re: Grip

Dave the Oly HLD9 for the mkii is around 270!
The HLD7 for mk1 is about 170.
Dealers are offering 50 for the HLD7 as a trade in!

Which are you looking for?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

George Dorn 1st April 2017 06:03 PM

I was disappointed at how clunky the Olympus grip feels on camera, but it certainly changes the handling with big lenses for the better.

benvendetta 1st April 2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee man (Post 410418)
Dave the Oly HLD9 for the mkii is around 270!
The HLD7 for mk1 is about 170.
Dealers are offering 50 for the HLD7 as a trade in!

Which are you looking for?

I was asking about the Pen F, Ed.

Wee man 2nd April 2017 02:15 PM

Oops. As you were.

benvendetta 12th May 2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Dorn (Post 410421)
I was disappointed at how clunky the Olympus grip feels on camera, but it certainly changes the handling with big lenses for the better.

Well I have ordered a third party grip for my Pen F from EBay for about 24. Should be with me early next week so it will be interesting to see what it feels like. It would only get used for the 40-150 Pro with or without the MC14, and maybe the 7-14 f4 version. The 75-300 doesn't seem too bad on the 'naked' Pen F, which is the case for all the other lenses I have.

yorky 12th May 2017 12:54 PM

It will good to see how you find this, I look forward to your conclusions.

1948Kustom 17th May 2017 12:30 PM

Hi,
I got one from a contact in Hong Kong, it's a Chinese sourced & made unit which was about 45.00 including postage, all metal build and allows the battery & card door to be opened when attached.
It certainly improves the handling & grip for me. I found it on the Pen-F user group on facebook.
Hope this helps you, as I couldn't justify the genuine Olympus price.
Steve Huff also has some nice grips shown on his website.;)

benvendetta 17th May 2017 09:38 PM

Well I received mine and I am impressed with it for 25 including delivery. It allows access to the battery and SD card door and there is a secondary tripod hole as the one in the camera holds the fitting screw. The base is arca compatible and there is a detachable 90 degrees arca plate on the left side (which I have removed as it adds to the bulk). It is well made and the grip is a big help when using the 40-150 pro with or without the MC14. I just wish that there was some material on the grip as the allow doesn't have much friction. OK, the grip isn't aesthetically pleasing but for times when you are using the 'big boys' it certainly helps. I wouldn't keep it fitted permanently though. I will try and post a piccie at the weekend of the combo.

Chris Pattison 21st July 2017 06:52 PM

I recently bought the Haoge HG-PENF grip from Amazon.
It was less expensive than the Olympus grip but still 59.99.
However, the quality is top notch.
No big lenses used on it yet, but the handling is much improved.

CJJE 2nd July 2019 07:45 PM

I have the Meike version of Olympus' ECG-4 handgrip, which I leave on my Pen-F at all times as I find it gives me a much better grip on the camera when using a wrist strap. However, my one complaint is that the grip part is a smooth plastic with a slightly grainy pattern. Does anyone know if the official Olympus grip has a leather-like covering on the grip to match the camera body? I can't find any details on the Olympus website, but was thinking if it was less slippery than my Meike grip it could be worthwhile looking out for one at a discount know that the Pen-F has been discontinued :)

Chris

Shaw 2nd July 2019 08:09 PM

I have the Olympus ECG-4 handgrip on my Pen-F, and it looks like, and feels exactly the same as the material on the Pen-F body.

CJJE 3rd July 2019 09:08 AM

Thanks Stewart, it sounds a useful upgrade from my Meike version then :)

Chris

CJJE 4th July 2019 04:03 PM

I've picked up an 'as-new' Olympus grip from WEX, for 80 and can confirm that has a much feel to it than my Meike one. The textured area of the grip feels much more secure, and the edge on the side of the camera is rounded rather than a sharp right-angle.

So having slagged off the Meike grip, I've now got one to sell! :)

Chris