Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   windows on mac (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8463)

sapper 1st March 2010 05:42 PM

windows on mac

I want to use a programme, picturetoexe on my mac but it will only run on windows.
I have an intel mac and wondered if anyone has any advice re this. I have used a mac for some time but am a novice when it comes to this sort of stuff.
Cheers.

theMusicMan 1st March 2010 05:46 PM

Re: windows on mac

You need Parallels, Dave. It allows you to run windows, in a window on a Mac! You'll need to get a copy of XP or Vista too. However, it does run very well indeed. In fact, firefox, running in a window, in windows running in a window on my Mac, runs faster than firefox in a window in windows on my Dell!

:)

true.

sapper 1st March 2010 05:47 PM

Is it easy to install John.
Should I buy from the Apple store or somewhere else?
Questions questions, its all new to me.

theMusicMan 1st March 2010 05:52 PM

No probs Dave, questions are good.

I like to buy all my Mac stuff from the Apple store, so I'd get it from there although PC World is as good for software etc.

If you have a CD copy of XP or Vista you may be able to use this legitimately if you remove it from the original PC.

I had a copy of XP that I used on an old Del laptop (I have two Dell laptops because I upgraded), and I had purchased a copy of XP Pro for that machine as it only came with XP Home Ed. So this is what I used when I installed XP on my Mac.

You install parallels first, then when you launch that, if it doesn't find a copy of Windows, it asks you where the install file is. Use that, and it installs XP perfectly.

It sounds confusing, but it is a straightforward process really.

theMusicMan 1st March 2010 05:59 PM

In fact, here's a screenshot of Firefox, running in a window, in Windows XP, running in a window, on my Mac

http://img.skitch.com/20100301-npfrh...ebdhh9tsps.jpg

sapper 1st March 2010 06:24 PM

Thanks for this John.
I now see that I have bootcamp on my mac so I will read the manual and use that.
Cheers.

Jon*E 1st March 2010 06:29 PM

Hi Dave

There is also VirtualBox which is free and has very good documentation and I have found very good, and VMware which again is very good but not free.

Jon

tomphotofx 1st March 2010 08:39 PM

Hi

Pictures to Exe, the best slide sound program out there, is due to release a Mac version sometime this year, if your using the latest ver 6 you can of course create an Exe to run on a Mac anyway:).

If you can be patient it might be worth the wait.

Regards

Tom

sapper 1st March 2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomphotofx (Post 66773)
Hi

Pictures to Exe, the best slide sound program out there, is due to release a Mac version sometime this year, if your using the latest ver 6 you can of course create an Exe to run on a Mac anyway:).

If you can be patient it might be worth the wait.

Regards

Tom

Yes I know Tom, but I want to make the show on a mac and show it on a PC in my camera club 'cos they use a PC.

theMusicMan 1st March 2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 66775)
Yes I know Tom, but I want to make the show on a mac and show it on a PC in my camera club 'cos they use a PC.

Dave

Have you thought of simply using MS Powerpoint on the Mac to create the slideshow?

sapper 1st March 2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 66777)
Dave

Have you thought of simply using MS Powerpoint on the Mac to create the slideshow?

Yes I have but picturetiexe is the business for club competitions.

Dogcow 2nd March 2010 06:32 AM

Hi Dave,

You might want to chech out the Mac program 'SlideShow for Mac OS X'. I don't know if it is on par with picturetoexe, but it makes stand-alone slideshows that will run on a PC.

Karel

keithrsmith 2nd March 2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 66778)
Yes I have but picturetiexe is the business for club competitions.

You have got to be kidding!. (If you are yalking about club digital image competitions)

Have a look at Dicentra ( http://www.wilburimaging.com/wisoftw...ra.htm#OrgComp )

Thiis allows all of the facilities that you need to run competitions, (lightbox, scoring , scoresheets etc.

Keith

sapper 2nd March 2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithrsmith (Post 66801)
You have got to be kidding!. (If you are yalking about club digital image competitions)

Have a look at Dicentra ( http://www.wilburimaging.com/wisoftw...ra.htm#OrgComp )

Thiis allows all of the facilities that you need to run competitions, (lightbox, scoring , scoresheets etc.

Keith

No I am not kidding. Our club members use Pictureto exe for Audio Visual shows. Lots of diffefrent transitions, music Etc. I have seen the shows and they are good.

The AV needs to be an executable file, (whatever that is, I don't need to know) and PTE does that. As does Pro show gold I think.

The programme you are advocating does not do what I want. It is for a completely different purpose.

keithrsmith 2nd March 2010 10:08 AM

Ahh all is clear now -sorry, I thought you were talking about digital imaging competitions - i.e modern slide competitions.

Yes P2E is good for AV shows - Proshow Gold is - in my opinion - easier to use, but does the same job.

One issue you may come across if you are trying to run P2E on the Mac is that it makes use of the graphics card, for its transitions , so may not work too well in the virtual machiine.

Executable files are just that - P2E generates actual programs that runs on the computer.