Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus Pen Lite E-PL3 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   HELP! A theoretical PEN question (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17591)

snaarman 31st October 2011 03:18 PM

A theoretical PEN question

If a person was thinking of buying a a E-PL3 and needed to get one of these new fangled SD cards ... would it matter what sort, in terms of speed and all that?

A person wouldn't want to waste money on a super fast card if it wasn't needed.

Just asking a theoretical question, you understand...

Pete

Nick Temple-Fry 31st October 2011 03:34 PM

Re: A theoretical PEN question

A good question, and one that really begs a technical examination of camera buffer sizes and the write speed of the camera, carefully considered against the capabilities of the card. With full account of the difference in processing and file size between jpeg and raw.

But......

Having seen and appreciated your carefully composed and expertly exposed pictures on this group, can I ask if you consider yourself a super fast shooter?. And if not, why buy a card that is faster than you are?:)

Tesco often offer quite good prices and reputable make cards on their shelf end displays.

Nick

snaarman 31st October 2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry (Post 139477)
Having seen and appreciated your carefully composed and expertly exposed pictures on this group, can I ask if you consider yourself a super fast shooter?. And if not, why buy a card that is faster than you are?:)

Tesco often offer quite good prices and reputable make cards on their shelf end displays.

Nick

That's what I want, a common sense reply. Never having used a SD card before (theoretically) I figured I should ask around.

Pete

Phew. I didn't say horse's mouth.

Ian 31st October 2011 04:30 PM

Basically get a Class 10 card and you should be fine. Class 6 may be OK, but Class 10 is hardly more expensive these days. Avoid Class 4. The larger the class the better.

Class 6 or 10 will be fast enough to record HD video and adequately fast to avoid long waits when having shot a continuous sequence of stills.

Ian

Zuiko 31st October 2011 04:33 PM

What colour E-PL3 are you getting/have you got? :D

snaarman 31st October 2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 139484)
What colour E-PL3 are you getting/have you got? :D

If a person was approaching a significant birthday and was considering an E-PL3, then theoretically a black one would be nice. It has been suggested that one should be getting "something nice for the house". Would a black E-PL3 count?

P

peak4 31st October 2011 05:38 PM

On a personal note, I tend to get my memory cards from MyMemory who just happen to have a 10% discount sale running up to midnight tonight.

I've found them to be helpful, friendly, and fast, with pretty competitive pricing, particularly if you were to keep an eye out for special offers.

I wouldn't have thought one could go wrong with a couple or three of these Hypothetically speaking of course, they could even be bought in just in case an E-5 came along as well :D

If the 10% deal comes off this price as well, it's probably a cracking deal.

StephenL 31st October 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 139487)
If a person was approaching a significant birthday and was considering an E-PL3, then theoretically a black one would be nice. It has been suggested that one should be getting "something nice for the house". Would a black E-PL3 count?

P

A black one would, theoretically, suit the decor of any house and certainly not clash with the edges of the envelopes containing significant birthday cards. My experience recently of a similar significant event combined with a black iPad bears this out. ;)

Chevvyf1 31st October 2011 06:11 PM

Stephen Thank You for this little "gem" of info vis Black ipad - it is a thought I had not had iro ipad II arriving here and "fitting in" for Christmas *chr

Pete, theoretically, PERFECT in black :D

Barr1e 31st October 2011 06:39 PM

Ann1e and I have been using these for some time now.

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/m...IL-SDHC4CL10-D

Regards. Barr1e

snaarman 31st October 2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 139501)
A black one would, theoretically, suit the decor of any house and certainly not clash with the edges of the envelopes containing significant birthday cards. My experience recently of a similar significant event combined with a black iPad bears this out. ;)

He he he. You gotta love this place :)

Thanks for the info and pointers.

Pete

BTW. Theoretically I may find myself with a new camera soon... VF2 for Christmas?

Homer Simpson 31st October 2011 07:47 PM

But I thought you were deeply in love with the E1 *shrug

Nick Temple-Fry 31st October 2011 09:08 PM

If you weren't committed to Olympus I did notice that Great Western Cameras in Swindon have a Nikon J1 in a particularly shocking shade of pink, complete with matching lenses.

I'm sure it would be considered appropriately decorative, and maybe even work as a camera.

Nick

Zuiko 31st October 2011 09:27 PM

Pete, I love your new signature line! *laugh

Ross the fiddler 31st October 2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry (Post 139518)
If you weren't committed to Olympus I did notice that Great Western Cameras in Swindon have a Nikon J1 in a particularly shocking shade of pink, complete with matching lenses.

I'm sure it would be considered appropriately decorative, and maybe even work as a camera.

Nick

*laugh *laugh *laugh *laugh *laugh

Now to be more serious, I would also stick with a Class 10 card as the prices just keep getting better, because down load time of the photos is also a consideration (as well as there not being any limiting factor for write speeds for multiple shots). A fast USB 3 card reader (assuming your new computer has USB 3 ;)) will download the photos much quicker than from the camera (I would imagine), but that also applies to your CF cards too.

Even a good USB 2 reader will most likely be faster than the camera to download the photos & saves the camera from being knocked to the floor because someone trips over the cable.

After all of that, yes a faster card is a good idea. *yes

Enjoy your EPL-3 for your significant birthday then. ;) :D