Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus Pen Lite E-PL3 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Pen Lite E-PL3 production sample arriving today! (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16315)

Ian 5th August 2011 11:47 AM

Pen Lite E-PL3 production sample arriving today!

At last I'm getting my hands on a production sample of the Lite - with the tilting screen and a shutter that can shoot faster than the E-P3.

If you have any questions - I'll do my best!

Ian

Who's_E 5th August 2011 11:51 AM

Re: Pen Lite E-PL3 production sample arriving today!

Ian,

Sounds exciting! Will you be comparing output to an E5, with similar lenses?

Nick

StephenL 5th August 2011 12:49 PM

I'd be interested to see how the viewfinder blackout period is when shooting raw. When I had my E-P2 it effectively prevented rapid succession shooting even with preview turned off - it seemed to be just under 1 second.

Are you by any chance getting the new VF-3 with it?

Ian 5th August 2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 129827)
I'd be interested to see how the viewfinder blackout period is when shooting raw. When I had my E-P2 it effectively prevented rapid succession shooting even with preview turned off - it seemed to be just under 1 second.

Are you by any chance getting the new VF-3 with it?

Do you mean in continuous shooting?

The VF-3 isn't available yet so no sample for me for now (I did ask :))

Ian

Ian 5th August 2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who's_E (Post 129820)
Ian,

Sounds exciting! Will you be comparing output to an E5, with similar lenses?

Nick

If you like, but that's a bit like comparing a Mini with a BMW 5-series.

Ian

StephenL 5th August 2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 129830)
Do you mean in continuous shooting?

Ian

Not continuous shooting where you just keep your finger on the button, rather shooting many individual shots in quick succession. If that makes sense. :confused:

Ian 5th August 2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 129832)
Not continuous shooting where you just keep your finger on the button, rather shooting many individual shots in quick succession. If that makes sense. :confused:

OK, expecting Mark from Olympus any minute :)

Ian

snaarman 5th August 2011 03:00 PM

If I get another Oly body (assuming the E650 never happens) then it has to be a m4/3 + adapter + EVF plus my current lenses. The results would have to be worthwhile to do this change*

So: I would be interested to know how it performs with live-view friendly standard 4/3 lenses: Like the 14-42, 14-54 mk2 etc. Is the live view focus experience better than the E620 for example?

TNX

Pete

*I have a birthday coming up this Autumn you see... :-)

Ian 5th August 2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 129844)
If I get another Oly body (assuming the E650 never happens) then it has to be a m4/3 + adapter + EVF plus my current lenses. The results would have to be worthwhile to do this change*

So: I would be interested to know how it performs with live-view friendly standard 4/3 lenses: Like the 14-42, 14-54 mk2 etc. Is the live view focus experience better than the E620 for example?

TNX

Pete

*I have a birthday coming up this Autumn you see... :-)

I have actually done some focus test videos using a variety of Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses using an E-P3 and an E-P2. I'm still editing the clips, but my initial impression is that there is a slight benefit in Micro Four Thirds focusing Four Thirds lenses like the 14-42 and 14-54 II, but it's not dramatic. You might as well use the m.Zuiko 14-42 anyway.

Ian

Ulfric M Douglas 5th August 2011 05:23 PM

Two more hours is a long time for us gear-heads to wait Ian.

Do we have a smiley for a ticking clock?

Ian 5th August 2011 05:25 PM

OK, I have the camera now - I will have a play this evening and try to answer some questions :)

Ian

Ian 9th August 2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 129832)

Ok, I'm devoting some time this morning to answer your question, Stephen. Are you asking me to test the shot to shot speed (single shot, not ocntinuous) with IS and AF on or off?

Ian

StephenL 9th August 2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 130221)
Ok, I'm devoting some time this morning to answer your question, Stephen. Are you asking me to test the shot to shot speed (single shot, not ocntinuous) with IS and AF on or off?

Ian

Thanks Ian. Yes, I'm interested to see how disruptive, if at all, any delay is in single-shot, IS and AF on, trying to shoot one shot after another.

I encountered this issue on my E-P2 last year when photographing the horse guards. I would compose and shoot one rider (fairly close-up) then move to the next rider only to find that the viewfinder was black (using the VF-2) for the half-second or so I needed to compose the next shot. If I recall, there was no delay in the shot actually being taken, so I could shoot "blind". Just I couldn't see what I was doing!

So it's the viewfinder black-out delay I'm really concerned with. BTW I was shooting raw, so that may have had a bearing. But I had image review switched off.

smartwombat 9th August 2011 05:56 PM

I'm interested in the AF speed with my bagful of Panasonic lenses.
Is the improved AF only fully functional with Olympus lenses?
Is there an AF difference with lens OIS on/off and camera IS on/off?

I wish the PENs had been available a little earlier, it would have been good to give it a test at the last Indy race in Ohio. I had to lug around the two 1D bodies instead :(

Ian 10th August 2011 12:01 PM

OK, with the E-PL3 in S-AF, single shot mode, with IS on and post-shot review also on, I can pretty much shoot without any delay by prodding the shutter button continuously. There is a fraction of a second black out period - I would estimate about a quarter to one third of a second. How does that sound?

Ian