Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Wide angle (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New lens!!!! (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8576)

benvendetta 9th March 2010 10:23 PM

New lens!!!!

Well I have just returned from a tiring day at Focus on Imaging at the NEC. To cut a long story short I bagged a brand spanking new 7-14 f4 ZD for 999 from the Jacobs store there. :D:D:D
Yes I know that I MAY have got one cheaper on Ebay (had I won one) but I have never seen a sub-1000 price (or anything near) in the UK. The cheapest price that I noted prior to today was 1349.
This is a lens that I have been lusting after for a while and I consider it a bargain - I just need to get out there and use it.
BTW, they had two at this price and the other was there late afternoon if anyone is interested.

Kiwi Paul 9th March 2010 10:28 PM

Re: New lens!!!!

Congrats, that's an excellent price and well worth getting!!

Paul

oly_om 9th March 2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 67520)
Congrats, that's an excellent price and well worth getting!!

Paul

Paul

Just resist the urge - the 9-18 is fine!!

Andy

Kiwi Paul 10th March 2010 12:08 AM

No I'm not buying one, I hardly use the 9-18 so certainly don't need the 7-14, although it would give me the full set, Hmmmmm lol.

Paul

Graham_of_Rainham 10th March 2010 12:20 AM

I use my one quite a bit, I really like the perspective it gives.

Do watch out for your feet :D

Have fun

*chr

StephenL 10th March 2010 07:37 AM

It's a lovely lens - in my view the best in the arsenal!

theMusicMan 10th March 2010 08:02 AM

Nice one Dave... you got what you wanted then after all...? :)

ndl0071 10th March 2010 08:21 AM

Very Cool Dave, I just wanted you to know that I'm not at all Jealous (Grrrrrrr)

*chr

Zuiko 10th March 2010 09:54 AM

Great News, Dave - I'm looking forward to the pictures - no pressure! :D

snaarman 10th March 2010 10:19 AM

7mm
!
!!

I always wondered, how do you keep your ears out of the shot?

Pete

dj69 10th March 2010 09:34 PM

Congratulations on your new lens. I was just looking at dp reviews challenge on ultra wides and the 7-14 featured 4 times in the top 10 and received first place, it has God like qualities..... in the right hands.

David

skyman1 11th March 2010 09:06 AM

congrats on the new lens I had to make do with a new tripod but have a Kerso
70-300m with Hoya at 50 less than the show price :) so hope to get some good bird shots when i get to grips with it

benvendetta 11th March 2010 12:23 PM

Thanks for all your comments. 'Tis likely to become my new favourite lens (this was the 11-22 before - do I now still need it? Hmmmm).
I can't wait to try it out in decent lighting.
There weren't that many Oly bargains at Focus although as has been mentioned elsewhere the EPL-1 plus 14-42 plus retro bag plus ZD adapter was 480 I think. The Oly lens prices at the Jacobs store were baffling. Whilst got the 7-14 for 999 the 150 f2 and 35-100 f2 lenses were about 1850ish. I see the SRS Microsystems is selling these for 1699 each. :confused:Weird. But I am one happy bunny!:D
No prices for other popular lenses such as the 12-60 or the 9-18 but the 8mm FE was five hundred and something I think.

One of the best bits of entertainment at Focus was the Panasonic demo of 3D television. There was a 50" 3D TV plus 3D Blu Ray player and we all donned the special glasses. Two short fims were shown, one of Rome and one of the Grand Canyon. All VERY impressive indeed and not OTT 3D, just natural. Due for launch in the UK in May. But you have to wonder how long it will be before even a smattering of stuff is available, and as for broadcast 3D TV then it could be a very loooooong time.

theMusicMan 11th March 2010 12:30 PM

Great news on your lens Dave, but as for the Oly 11-22mm - well, I've kept mine! Don't forget that you can't get a filter on the 7-14mm, not at all and so if you ever still want to be doing IR or ND type shooting, you still need that 11-22mm.

benvendetta 11th March 2010 12:49 PM

I totally agree with you on this John, plus it is relatively small and light for an HG walkaround wide angle zoom (certainly compared to my new beastie!).

With regards to the 7-14 I am a bit loathed to remove that slide on lens cap and expose that monsterous 'eye' to the elements and start shooting. I remember seeing a demo version of this lens a couple of years ago with a small chip in the front element and it almost made me cry! It would be interesting to know what impact this would have had on the image, although I am not in a hurry to find out using mine :eek:

I was also tempted at Focus to get a larger camera bag (you can never have too many can you? ;)) to accommodate the newbie and the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW was going for 99 at Jacobs with the similarly sized Pro Runner for about 20 less. However, I seldom take all my kit out with me and I was glad to find that all my gear (less the E-500, 14-45, and OM lenses) just about fit in my old Nova 5 AW. If I had got ANOTHER bag I am sure that the wife would have gone ape!

I will start a thread sometime to find out if the number of bags that I have is about average for us Oly users or do we have more, or less.