Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   HLD‑9 question (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47815)

mik 4th May 2018 06:02 PM

HLD‑9 question

Can you run this on the camera with just a battery in the grip not in the camera.

Thanks

Mdb2 4th May 2018 06:26 PM

Re: HLD‑9 question

Yes, I do it all the time.
Kind regards Mike

CJJE 4th May 2018 06:26 PM

I think the answer is yes, but I don't have access to my HLD-9 at the moment to confirm this :)

Chris

Ross the fiddler 5th May 2018 01:28 PM

The good part of having more than two batteries (if the budget allows) is that the grip's battery can be changed at a convenient time after going flat as the camera's battery is used in the mean time until the grip's battery is changed etc., but that would mean an awful lot of photos have been taken. ;)

CJJE 5th May 2018 01:43 PM

I have two batteries so that I can swap them over when necessary... but I don't use the HLD-9 as I find it makes the camera too bulky. (It came as a freeby when I bought the camera body and wouldn't have bought it outright.)

In fact I've never been that comfy using battery grips on any of my cameras right from my Canon EOS days. I've always found it easier to hold the camera for portrait format shots by rotating my hands rather than using the grips duplicated controls.

Chris

MikeOxon 5th May 2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJJE (Post 446546)
...........(It came as a freeby when I bought the camera body and wouldn't have bought it outright.)...............

I often wonder how many grips are actually sold, as opposed to bundled with cameras to make a seemingly attractive 'deal'. Both myself and my son fell for such deals but rarely use the grips.

jima 5th May 2018 04:11 PM

Not from personal experience but from using the grips I would imagine that if you do a significant number of portrait shots it would be a welcome addition. From experience, it is a nice counterweight to a larger lens e.g. 40-150mm Pro plus tele-converter or 300mm. You don't of course get the battery boost you used to get when the grips used to run the packs in parallel rather than cascade but perhaps with the current lens designs it isn't such an issue.

stoates 5th May 2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdb2 (Post 446491)
Yes, I do it all the time.
Kind regards Mike

I concur with Mike. This is also how I operate. My tripod plate covers the battery access on my camera but I always have access to the grip battery on or off the tripod.

jeffreybehr 8th May 2018 04:08 AM

I LOVE the grip on my EM1.2; it makes the camera JUST the right size for my mediumish hands. And I too use only one battery, in the grip.

MJ224 8th May 2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOxon (Post 446549)
I often wonder how many grips are actually sold, as opposed to bundled with cameras to make a seemingly attractive 'deal'. Both myself and my son fell for such deals but rarely use the grips.

Mine came "Free" with the camera (EM1 ii). Part ex'd it for the TG-5. A good trade................*chr

benvendetta 8th May 2018 11:44 AM

Using the HLD9 gives the impression that you are better than you really are.........maybe.

bigsambwfc 8th May 2018 07:31 PM

I use the grip as a counter balance for the pl 100-400lens but I have the lever taped off as I kept switching it on without knowing and the shutter button was live so I had hundreds of ground shots!i do a lot of sequence shots so its easy to change batteries on the grip, I also had to fine emery cloth the connecting pins for assured contact.