Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Foto Fair (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Potential street photographers! (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47790)

Walti 30th April 2018 10:38 AM

Potential street photographers!

Have a look at this guy, I've been following his "Cambridge Diary" Facebook page for quite some time and his photos have inspired me to be more adventurous in my own photography..

See what you think....

(Leica user not an Olympus user - unfortunately!)

TED talk

Ricoh 30th April 2018 10:52 AM

Re: Potential street photographers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walti (Post 446173)
Have a look at this guy, I've been following his "Cambridge Diary" Facebook page for quite some time and his photos have inspired me to be more adventurous in my own photography..

See what you think....

(Leica user not an Olympus user - unfortunately!)

TED talk

I'm afraid to have to say this, but the rangefiinder is THE street machine. There's no nonsense waiting for the AF to do its dirty business, just set to f8 and hyper focus, using the digit of your left hand to 'feel' the focus. It's all about muscle memory.

BTW In my opinion street is vastly over done. Of the 'n' images I view on the web I'd say, in percentage terms, only 1 with 5 noughts preceding the decimal point are actually any good. I also think street is far too dangerous.

RobEW 30th April 2018 10:59 AM

What dangers are there? Do you mean having your equipment stolen or damaged, or perhaps upsetting people who you photograph, or something else? I often take my lighter-weight gear into my city and have never felt at risk.

RobEW 30th April 2018 11:21 AM

I've watched the video now. He's not trying to take photographs which are technically brilliant (else he'd use a better medium than Facebook) or which will win competitions or get into galleries or be published. He's taking what are sometimes disparagingly referred to as "record shots", but they are affectionate records of people as he has seen and noticed them. And I think this has its own social value and authenticity.

Ricoh 30th April 2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEW (Post 446177)
What dangers are there? Do you mean having your equipment stolen or damaged, or perhaps upsetting people who you photograph, or something else? I often take my lighter-weight gear into my city and have never felt at risk.

When I was doing street I was shooting with a 35mm f/l (that's 17.5mm in u4/3 terms). Today when I look back at the images I produced, I think omg how street 101 are those! Anyone wishing to do 'street' is best advised to think beyond 101 and think of the alternatives.

Yes, a 35mm FL does require being close, and yes I have had a few altercations along the way. If I was to return to the genre it would be more along the German mode of street photography, and less is more IMO such as only seeing part of the person; what is out of frame is equally important to that which is shown, eg a human arm with finger outstretched pointing at something, or someone.
Have fun.

Zuiko 30th April 2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 446180)
When I was doing street I was shooting with a 35mm f/l (that's 17.5mm in u4/3 terms). Today when I look back at the images I produced, I think omg how street 101 are those! Anyone wishing to do 'street' is best advised to think beyond 101 and think of the alternatives.

Yes, a 35mm FL does require being close, and yes I have had a few altercations along the way. If I was to return to the genre it would be more along the German mode of street photography, and less is more IMO such as only seeing part of the person; what is out of frame is equally important to that which is shown, eg a human arm with finger outstretched pointing at something, or someone.
Have fun.

I didn't realise that you were no longer doing street - I thought you was a disciple of the genre. :confused:

Walti 30th April 2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEW (Post 446178)
I've watched the video now. He's not trying to take photographs which are technically brilliant (else he'd use a better medium than Facebook) or which will win competitions or get into galleries or be published. He's taking what are sometimes disparagingly referred to as "record shots", but they are affectionate records of people as he has seen and noticed them. And I think this has its own social value and authenticity.

I don't think he claims to be anything other than a successful amateur, I met him a couple of times in a cafe I regularly go to, his site is worth a visit:

Here!

Ricoh 30th April 2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 446189)
I didn't realise that you were no longer doing street - I thought you was a disciple of the genre. :confused:

Photography is a journey, John, much like our vision system.
Today I shoot most things that please me, as long as the grain can be a co-star, but always I have point of departure before leaving the house.

Ultimately I will go either to the Lightroom above, or the Darkroom below. Only HE will decide - being omniscient HE should know already. (Is it correct to assign a gender to God, and in today's PC world is it being a bit sexist in doing so. There's no harm of course if HE is male. Only time will tell!)

Crazy Dave 30th April 2018 04:27 PM

Excuse my ignorance Steve but what does street 101 mean?

David

Crazy Dave 30th April 2018 04:54 PM

I have never felt at risk ‘on the street’, the main concession I make is to walk along the pavement that has the bollards, if there are any. It’s a precaution that I take in towns even when not using my camera. My take on so-called sreet photography is that it’s what you want it to be at the time you have your camera at the ready, perhaps urban photography is a more useful title but even that requires explanation.

There is an interesting piece here that questions whether there is such a thing as ‘street photography’. http://www.ultrasomething.com/2013/06/roadkill/

David

Ricoh 30th April 2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Dave (Post 446207)
Excuse my ignorance Steve but what does street 101 mean?

David

Oh, it's just the stuff they teach beginners in on-line 'how-to' tutorials. You know, 101 tips how to be a better **** photographer. Fill in the asterisks as you choose, street, portrait, landscape etc.

Ricoh 30th April 2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Dave (Post 446213)
I have never felt at risk ‘on the street’, the main concession I make is to walk along the pavement that has the bollards, if there are any. It’s a precaution that I take in towns even when not using my camera. My take on so-called sreet photography is that it’s what you want it to be at the time you have your camera at the ready, perhaps urban photography is a more useful title but even that requires explanation.

There is an interesting piece here that questions whether there is such a thing as ‘street photography’. http://www.ultrasomething.com/2013/06/roadkill/

David

I've had a few run-ins with Joe Public, it does happen. Often it starts with 'did you just take my photo?' You reply yes or no as you feel fit. 'Show me' comes the reply, followed by 'delete it'. I've taken a few using my M6 film camera and have had similar discussions. I have to explain the situation and fortunately some bruiser has not demanded that I destroy the film by opening the back.

pandora 30th April 2018 06:39 PM

Australia has no law against taking photos of people in public spaces, that would be ridiculous as every newspaper could be subject to a class action for publishing a street shot containing identifiable citizens. That said, to avoid confrontations it is prudent to be discreet when shooting particular subjects. If you're visiting Oz, feel free.

E-PL3 from the hip as I passed by, the frame-up was sheer luck. (2012 archives)
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Travel6.jpg

Also:
e.g. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...hlight=buskr-2

Zuiko 30th April 2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 446191)
Photography is a journey, John, much like our vision system.
Today I shoot most things that please me, as long as the grain can be a co-star, but always I have point of departure before leaving the house.

Ultimately I will go either to the Lightroom above, or the Darkroom below. Only HE will decide - being omniscient HE should know already. (Is it correct to assign a gender to God, and in today's PC world is it being a bit sexist in doing so. There's no harm of course if HE is male. Only time will tell!)

Of course it is okay to assign a gender to your god, the concept is whatever you want it to be. :)

pandora 30th April 2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 446220)
Of course it is okay to assign a gender to your god, the concept is whatever you want it to be. :)

It may be neither; I'm guessing it could be a Chinese android by the name of Sam Sung.