Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   E-M1 FW 4.4 update. (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47309)

Ross the fiddler 28th February 2018 08:37 AM

E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
I updated mine because I could (after successfully doing the E-M1 Mk II), but please note the settings will be reset.
Quote:

Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[ E-M1 ]
[ Precautions when updating firmware ]
When you update your firmware to version 4.4, camera settings are reset.
Ver.4.4

(Feb.28 2018)
Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.
I don't know why I bothered since I'm not likely to have this lens anyhow. *shrug

*chr

Bruce Clarke 28th February 2018 01:25 PM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Thanks, I think I'll skip it, not having that lens. I can't imagine they'd sneak in any other exciting changes after all this time without mentioning them.

IainMacD 28th February 2018 08:14 PM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke (Post 441339)
Thanks, I think I'll skip it, not having that lens. I can't imagine they'd sneak in any other exciting changes after all this time without mentioning them.

Ditto
With no way of saving the settings I am not going to that trouble for a lens I will never have.

Ross the fiddler 28th February 2018 08:41 PM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IainMacD (Post 441430)
Ditto
With no way of saving the settings I am not going to that trouble for a lens I will never have.

Just put it down to being a good opportunity to review your settings as you put them all back in again. ;) :D I had to. *shrug

blu-by-u 1st March 2018 06:13 AM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Did I miss something? My camera had only a firmware of 4.1 When did it jump to 4.4?

So I updated to 4.4. Agghhh...everything got cleaned out. I had to redo the whole settings . :(

Ross the fiddler 1st March 2018 10:45 AM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blu-by-u (Post 441455)
Did I miss something? My camera had only a firmware of 4.1 When did it jump to 4.4?

So I updated to 4.4. Agghhh...everything got cleaned out. I had to redo the whole settings . :(

So you didn't read the warning as well? ;) A good time to rethink your settings as you put them all back in. :D

*chr

BTW, this is what you missed.
Quote:

Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[ E-M1 ]
[ Precautions when updating firmware ]
When you update your firmware to version 4.4, camera settings are reset.
Ver.4.4
(Feb.28 2018)
Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.
Ver.4.3
(Dec.19 2016)
Corrected the following problems that occurred in version 4.2:
Misoperation when shooting with HDR, Focus Stacking, Hand-Held Starlight, or Keystone Comp. while Rec View is set to Off.
* The camera functions are the same as version 4.2.
Ver.4.2
(Dec.1 2016)
Macro Flash STF-8 is supported.
Electronic Flash FL-900R is supported.
Improved stability of exposure when shooting videos.
Focus stacking function is now supported by the following lenses:  
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 30mm F3.5 Macro
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm F4.0 IS PRO

Steve Roughley 1st March 2018 09:51 PM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Can someone who has the em1 mk1 & the 12-100 f4 check if focus stacking still doesn't work after New firmware.
It's been enabled in em1 mk2 &em5 mk2.
It's a feature I would really like & not ready to buy em1 mk2 yet.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Roughley 1st March 2018 09:58 PM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Omg. Just found out you can do this with old firmware but not with manual focus selected (obvious thinking about it)
Just goes to show how much I leave it in manual focus for my landscapes.
Made up now. Shame I found out too late for Scotland last week...
Steve

Ross the fiddler 1st March 2018 10:29 PM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Roughley (Post 441547)
Can someone who has the em1 mk1 & the 12-100 f4 check if focus stacking still doesn't work after New firmware.
It's been enabled in em1 mk2 &em5 mk2.
It's a feature I would really like & not ready to buy em1 mk2 yet.

Thanks
Steve

I assume you updated the lens as well (not that anything is added for that use in the description)?

Steve Roughley 2nd March 2018 06:28 AM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Hi Ross

Blond moment
I ment focus bracketing.
I never knew the mk1 did bracketing.
I was on a beach at the sound of sleet last week and did a panoramic photo using 5 different manual focused images for each part of the pano.
I used focus peeking to focus them.
Couldn't get focus bracketing working it was greyed out with the 12-100 f4.(like an idiot I had it in manual focus)
When I put everything back together back home in Photoshop I've got a nice photo with an out of focus section mid way through the scene.
Now made up it actually does bracketing.
Yes they have enabled stacking on m1 mk2 & M5 mk2 with 12-100 f4.
Guess they won't enable it on my m1 mk1 due to marketing.
It was my first trip out with my new 12-100. Totally amazed. It's the sharpest lens I've ever used.
Out performs my 11-22, 14-54, 50-200 & 7-14 hands down. Totally blew me away.
I was getting ready to move system because I wasn't getting the quality I needed from my em1 mk1 but now I'm not going anywhere.
Maybe I got a good copy but the 12-100 is that sharp, there even seems to be less noise in images with it. I'll post some photos from the trip soon.

Steve

griffljg 2nd March 2018 08:55 AM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
I must admit that I have had much the same (great) experiences with the 12-100 that Steve has had. In fact, it now "lives" on my E-M1 Mk II. The 12-40? - That now "lives" on my E-M1 (Mk I), which is my primary Olympus backup camera.

There is one major disadvantage with the 12-100. - It is so good that I regularly forget to take other lenses along with me.

I updated my E-M1 to FW 4.4, knowing full well that I would have to re-enter all the settings. That took about 10 mins. Hardly enough time to put off performing an upgrade.

raichea 2nd March 2018 05:55 PM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Roughley (Post 441547)
Can someone who has the em1 mk1 & the 12-100 f4 check if focus stacking still doesn't work after New firmware.
It's been enabled in em1 mk2 &em5 mk2.
It's a feature I would really like & not ready to buy em1 mk2 yet.

Thanks
Steve

As per my last comment on the MkII thread, focus stacking doesn't work with the MkI with the 12-100mm. Focus bracketing does, however, as I think it always has.

Steve Roughley 3rd March 2018 07:58 AM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by raichea (Post 441641)
As per my last comment on the MkII thread, focus stacking doesn't work with the MkI with the 12-100mm. Focus bracketing does, however, as I think it always has.

Doesn't work with user error though.
I must take 99% of my photos in manual focus.
See above.
😚
Must read the manual someday...

raichea 3rd March 2018 12:13 PM

Re: E-M1 FW 4.4 update.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Roughley (Post 441674)
Doesn't work with user error though.
I must take 99% of my photos in manual focus.
See above.
😚
Must read the manual someday...

I'm sure most have been there... I know I have. :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger