Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Virgin Media tip for existing customers (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22074)

Ian 1st August 2012 10:01 AM

Virgin Media tip for existing customers

Julia casually pointed out to me the other day that she had seen some rather low priced Sky TV and broadband ads and wondered why we were apparently paying a lot more. I can't see us moving to Sky for all sorts of reasons (Murdoch, limited interactivity compared to Virgin cable, etc.) but I thought I'd do some research to see if, as a customer since long before Virgin took over (we had cable TV back in the mid-90s) we might be able to improve our package.

I noticed that the Virgin packages on offer (they're now called Collections) seemed cheaper than what we are currently paying and Virgin has now discontinued the V+ set top box that we use so there is now a basic V HD box (no hard drive so no pausing and rewinding live TV) or a Tivo box. The Tivo is a super super and smarter replacement for the old V+ box. It has much more hard disk space and a slick new user interface with the ability to automatically record programmes it estimates you might be interested in based on your viewing patterns and interests. You can also remote control it from the Web or using a smartphone app. And it has Youtube, Facebook and Twitter access. I have also heard it has Picasa online photo sharing too, but not 100% sure.

In the past we have been offered a Tivo upgrade but for 5/month extra. We thought we were paying enough already so resisted the temptation!. We have been paying about 70-odd a month including options and call charges and phone line rental for the mid-tier XL phone, TV and broadband package. Anyway, I thought I'd give Virgin a call to see what they could do.

After chatting with a very friendly Virgin rep we decided that some of the options we had were unnecessary, like Voicemail Plus (which lets you remotely access your voice messages), an international discount calling plan (we don't use this as much as we need to in order to make enough savings and T-Mobile has just introduced a free cheap European calls feature so we'll use that via our mobiles instead), and we had free weekday calls to UK landlines; again we have lots of prepaid minutes on the mobiles. And we were offered a 500MB Tivo box to replace our 100MB V+ box and for 49.95 we could retain the V+ box and have it relocated to another part of the house and use it with no additional monthly charge. By pruning our options we're saving 8/month overall (45 for TV and broadband and 13.90 for phone line rental) and we will have a much better Tivo main set top box and the V+ box will go in the back of the house where we have a Freeview TV. Plus, our broadband was recently upgraded from 20Mb to 60Mb for no extra cost.

I think that is a result :)

Ian

dbutch 1st August 2012 12:03 PM

Re: Virgin Media tip for existing customers

Got a similar package also recently, did have a customer loyalty discount from a while back when I questioned the pricing, but it was good to keep the V+ and have the Tivo - the only thing I don't like about the Tivo is you can't set a reminder to change the channel when a program comes on which you can on the V+

Cheers

Ian 1st August 2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbutch (Post 179782)
Got a similar package also recently, did have a customer loyalty discount from a while back when I questioned the pricing, but it was good to keep the V+ and have the Tivo - the only thing I don't like about the Tivo is you can't set a reminder to change the channel when a program comes on which you can on the V+

Cheers

Thanks for that - are there any particularly cool features on the Tivo box compared to the V+?

Ours is being installed this afternoon.

Ian

dbutch 1st August 2012 12:34 PM

It seems to all work pretty well and I'm sure we could do more with ours than we do
One thing that is pretty neat is you can set it up to record programs with an actor you like so any time a film is on with them in it automatically records it
Also with the series link you can set it to record the series or anytime it is on so don't do that for CSI as it will record about 3 episodes a day from all the different channels that show it:)

Cheers

Ian 1st August 2012 12:42 PM

We were recording re-runs of Warehouse 13 on the V+ box but what we did get was only some of the series and they seemed out of sequence :( Hopefully that will be sorted with the Tivo.

I also read you can record according to genre and even director.

Have you tried the online remote programming yet?

Ian

dbutch 1st August 2012 12:55 PM

Yes the director Genre thing appears to work but not played much with it
Have used my android phone and recorded a program seemed a bit slow but notices the app has been updated

Ulfric M Douglas 1st August 2012 01:26 PM

I wouldn't be without my PVRs, although I have a Humax and basic Freeview.
I hope the TIVOs are reliable, let us know how you find it Ian.
I have a mate with Virgin cable and I don't think he's got one yet ...

Footloose1949 2nd August 2012 12:10 AM

Used to be with NTL, then went over to Sky, but the one thing that annoys me, is the 'Favourites' selector, still means it trawls through all the channels you don't want, rather than just show only the channels I want to see. How does Virgin's system work?

Still looking for a service provider which only passes on a portion of my fee to football sports channels if I watch it, (which I never do!) and makes all of the football channels subject to additional pay to watch fees.

Chevvyf1 2nd August 2012 05:06 AM

Ian, this is a GREAT THREAD *chr

Since our MEGA Virgin on the ridiculous problems ... NO Broadband for a month and poor Broadband for 3 months ... when we were paying 70+ pcm - we now pay 30 ... I said "Thanks for fixing it" ... but we are leaving you :( ... :eek: they wanted to discuss our "service package ... " to our advantage ...

We got rid of Childrens channels on the TV - never ever watched them and in the re packaged "Collections we could get rid of them not losing our FAV channels ...) .... :( the playroom has it owns TV and CBeebies meets their needs or a DVD from their library ... Swallows & Amazons; The Railway Children; Surfs Up ; Happy Feet are my FAVS :D

We also have free UK calls - but with Virgin you pay top dollar for 08 numbers :eek:

We got a FREE upgrade to 20 or 30Mb Broadband - well, given the months of little and none ... thats decent ... and now it works very well (98% of the time)

Dear old Richard ... he wants to help us get REAL value for money :D ... BUT he has to make profits for him, his foundations and the Shareholders :eek: ... SO do as Ian HIGHLIGHTS here ... ask to re negotiate your package to your advantage or LEAVE :)

ps the other TRICK I am told is have your contract in one name, then you can give notice and the other half take a Virgin Contract in their name as a NEW Customer :) TWO can play at Richards games :cool:

smartwombat 2nd August 2012 06:21 PM

We left.
After months of no or poor broadband and no response to complaints.
We went to ADSL and it was as promised.
Then the company went into administration and we changed to Sky.
We are now paying less for rock solid 16M ADSL, and TV, and phone ... than we were for "up to 20MB" broadband which was often slower than a modem.

Virgin offered to replace our hardware, but as a broadband only service it just wasn't worth it. And having experienced their customer disservice I wasn't going to give them a second chance.

ringneck 12th August 2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 179785)
Thanks for that - are there any particularly cool features on the Tivo box compared to the V+?

Ours is being installed this afternoon.

Ian

Hi Ian....did you have to pay to have the installations.....I think it might be 49.99.

As Chevvy says it's a great thread and I hope it goes on and on to help us to get the best out of our services.

Keith