Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Discussions on improvements (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47271)

alfbranch 22nd February 2018 10:44 PM

Discussions on improvements
 
There are always ways to improve in photography and in search of such things I will post some shots for suggestion on how improve.

Remember you can say what you wish as far I am concerned but please do not comapre my work to some french street photographer.

Here is a shot taken on an Autumn evening on Parton beach.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4527/...d1004607_b.jpgParton waves and rocks mono by Alf Branch, on Flickr

So waht do you suggest?

snaarman 22nd February 2018 10:53 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Ok. I was going to suggest the horizon was not straight but in fact it is perfect.

I think the headland on the left is fine. I'd like to know what the picture looks like in colour, though the mono look is very nice.

I guess the obvious comment might be to try a rather longer exposure to smooth those waves more..

Pete

rkc 22nd February 2018 11:20 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Initial reaction:

Missing a foreground.
Not enough contrast between sea and sky
Too centred
What's the subject?

After some thought:

Middle (rocks) is lovely - as is texture of sea and just enough smoothing in the nearer water. I like the clouds on the horizon. But the foreground doesn't quite work for me, and the main point of interest - the gap in the rocks and the whirlpool in front of it - are right in the centre. Conventional wisdom says that's a bad idea, though I struggle to explain why. The top half of the sky is not really doing anything for the picture - perhaps try cropping off the top?

chris 23rd February 2018 12:51 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
I think its great as is, and wouldnt dream of giving critique to someone who is obviously on top of their game! Having said that, the left side of the picture is much nicer than the right IMO, just for the better rocks.

Ricoh 23rd February 2018 01:13 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Looks ok to me. However I'm viewing it on an iPad, so it maybe the device that's making it look very digital to me. Just a suggestion, it might be worth shooting some emulsion to tune your eye into how blacks and whites should look.

OM USer 23rd February 2018 08:40 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Well Alf, if you want some street photography you've gone to the wrong place. However you have gone to a place that has resulted in some very agreeable pics in the past. In this case I might say crop the top off down to the horizon but that is not a fault of the picture taking as you have a 4:3 lens.

alfbranch 25th February 2018 10:21 AM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 440707)
Ok. I was going to suggest the horizon was not straight but in fact it is perfect.

I think the headland on the left is fine. I'd like to know what the picture looks like in colour, though the mono look is very nice.

I guess the obvious comment might be to try a rather longer exposure to smooth those waves more..

Pete

Thanks Pete
As for exposue time I prefer this type of movenemnet generally I use very long exposues less frequently. Also this was an occasion that spray would have rendered any multi second shoy useless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkc (Post 440713)
Initial reaction:

Missing a foreground.
Not enough contrast between sea and sky
Too centred
What's the subject?

After some thought:

Middle (rocks) is lovely - as is texture of sea and just enough smoothing in the nearer water. I like the clouds on the horizon. But the foreground doesn't quite work for me, and the main point of interest - the gap in the rocks and the whirlpool in front of it - are right in the centre. Conventional wisdom says that's a bad idea, though I struggle to explain why. The top half of the sky is not really doing anything for the picture - perhaps try cropping off the top?

Thanks for the comment RKC it is interesting to read this and something I will consider. I look forward to seeing work from and welcome to the forum.


Quote:

Originally Posted by chris (Post 440776)
I think its great as is, and wouldnt dream of giving critique to someone who is obviously on top of their game! Having said that, the left side of the picture is much nicer than the right IMO, just for the better rocks.

Thanks Chris

alfbranch 25th February 2018 10:29 AM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 440780)
Looks ok to me. However I'm viewing it on an iPad, so it maybe the device that's making it look very digital to me. Just a suggestion, it might be worth shooting some emulsion to tune your eye into how blacks and whites should look.

Thanks Ricoh
I have not shot printed mono emulsion for over 25 years I have shot and scanned mono more recently. My mono prinbting was not good enough IMO I am happier with digital mono as I can control it much more. Many people only manage to produce mono that IMO is about as good as machine mono prints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OM USer (Post 440823)
Well Alf, if you want some street photography you've gone to the wrong place. However you have gone to a place that has resulted in some very agreeable pics in the past. In this case I might say crop the top off down to the horizon but that is not a fault of the picture taking as you have a 4:3 lens.

Thanks OM
I am not afraid to crop a shot to get it the may I want it. I can see why you suggest such a crop.

alfbranch 25th February 2018 10:37 AM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
I am not going to show a colour version of the shot above. Here is a colour shot of the same location taken during the same session at the beach.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4663/...d514fb95_b.jpgParton sunset wave on rocks by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think about this one?

MJ224 25th February 2018 10:51 AM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Have a preference to the colour version. The "fuller" water level was preferable from the original B/W, but that's just aesthetics (sp??)

I do like the mix of milky water and the more precise choppy water in the middle/back ground.

Works very well for me. I am just an ordinary punter, probably the one IP Wheatley referred too in Grrr. But I know what I like, and its just that simple for me.....................

My late Dad's mantra was "The Kiss" approach. "Keep it Simple, Stupid"

Hey ho.............*chr

Ricoh 25th February 2018 05:15 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alfbranch (Post 440928)
Thanks Ricoh
I have not shot printed mono emulsion for over 25 years I have shot and scanned mono more recently. My mono prinbting was not good enough IMO I am happier with digital mono as I can control it much more. Many people only manage to produce mono that IMO is about as good as machine mono prints.

I do wish that another manufacturer would produce a monochrome digicam, and not leave all the glory to Leica.

Invicta 25th February 2018 06:46 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
alfbranch

I prefer the colour version, I think it this the black clouds in the B&W version that make it hard to understand. In the colour version it is obvious why they are so dark.

I think your photo would benefit from a square crop, not one I use often but it works in this case.

I took a screen shot and cropped as an example:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1866/crop3.jpg

Just say of you want me to delete this crop.

rkc 25th February 2018 09:15 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
I like the colour image better than the original mono image - I think the composition works better with a bit more of a foreground, plus the colour in the sky means that the sky IS now doing something for the image where in the original it wasn't really.

The right hand side of the image is a little dark - Invicta's square crop above has removed this, but you could also lighten it up with a graduated filter in LR or PS I would think.

Keith-369 25th February 2018 09:39 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
The colour version tells a different story altogether. I really like it.

alfbranch 26th February 2018 03:38 PM

Re: Discussions on improvements
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ224 (Post 440933)
Have a preference to the colour version. The "fuller" water level was preferable from the original B/W, but that's just aesthetics (sp??)

I do like the mix of milky water and the more precise choppy water in the middle/back ground.

Works very well for me. I am just an ordinary punter, probably the one IP Wheatley referred too in Grrr. But I know what I like, and its just that simple for me.....................

My late Dad's mantra was "The Kiss" approach. "Keep it Simple, Stupid"

Hey ho.............*chr

Thanks Mark


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger