Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Announcements (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Change to visibility of the off-topic 'Lounge' board (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46782)

Ian 13th December 2017 03:52 PM

Change to visibility of the off-topic 'Lounge' board

The 'Lounge' board for subject discussion that is not about photography is popular but sometimes controversial. This is because it is frequently used for voicing concerns over issues like politics and other serious issues that we all face from day to day.

Some members have taken exception to some of the more heated debates in the Lounge. Others have questioned why we have such a board at all. I do accept that its visibility can outweigh its importance to the site overall.

The Lounge is popular and I have no intention of censoring it or anything like that. But I take seriously the view that we are running, above all, a site dedicated to photography. Therefore, as an experiment, I am limiting the visibility of the Lounge so that it doesn't dilute the presence and activity of threads that are on-topic.

This means that Lounge threads will no longer be shown on the site home page and neither will they be shown in the New Posts > Get All New Posts drop down lists. More specific lists showing new posts within <x> minutes/hours, etc. are unaffected.

I don't think this action will adversely affect the popularity of the Lounge, it just means on-topic threads will have a greater share of the spotlight.

This is an experimental change and I welcome any views for or against it and, if required, I will make further changes as necessary.

Ian

Kami 13th December 2017 04:05 PM

Re: Change to visibility of the off-topic 'Lounge' board

Good call, I'd say :-) Thanks.

Otto 13th December 2017 04:05 PM

Could it be made a user option Ian? Could it be hidden as you describe by default but enabled by individual users?

Ian 13th December 2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 435073)
Could it be made a user option Ian? Could it be hidden as you describe by default but enabled by individual users?

I'll have a look at this - I don't think there is a facility built in as I had to modify the page code to achieve what I have done. There might be a plug-in that can do this, but I would be surprised.

The Lounge is still accessible from the Forum Index and new posts on lists below New Posts > Get All New Posts.

Ian

Otto 13th December 2017 04:26 PM

I'm happy to wait and see Ian, it may well be that I'll hardly notice the change so don't spend too much time on it on my account :). Alfaowner.com also uses vBulletin and I've got whole swathes of that switched to "ignore" as they are topics dedicated to models that I don't own, so I thought it might be a simple matter.

Ian 13th December 2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 435081)
I'm happy to wait and see Ian, it may well be that I'll hardly notice the change so don't spend too much time on it on my account :). Alfaowner.com also uses vBulletin and I've got whole swathes of that switched to "ignore" as they are topics dedicated to models that I don't own, so I thought it might be a simple matter.

OK, if they have the option we may well do as well - I will certainly look into this.

Ian

Ross the fiddler 16th December 2017 01:48 PM

That would discourage posts that could be more suitable in Foto Fair from being given front page exposure instead of the secondary access for Foto Fare. It sounds like a good call to me.

I can understand the decision, particularly with some of the emotive political type threads etc.

Thanks again for your efforts to making & keeping this forum great, especially from someone out of the UK & downunder. *yes

*chr

EDIT: I'm not entering Australian politics so don't need to denounce my possible UK citizenship. :D