Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Friend or foe for olympus? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50267)

bigsambwfc 5th April 2019 12:48 PM

Friend or foe for olympus?

I wonder if Sharps imminent arrival into m43 will help Olympus sensor wise or just copy oly gear on the cheap.

pdk42 5th April 2019 01:39 PM

Re: Friend or foe for olympus?

I suspect their focus will be video.

Ricoh 5th April 2019 01:52 PM

I remember having a Sharp VCR, so you could be right. Video and TVs were their game.

AMc 5th April 2019 03:46 PM

Seems probable given this prototype
https://www.dpreview.com/news/399076...pe-at-ces-2019

Ross the fiddler 6th April 2019 07:38 AM

I've got a Sharp microwave. :rolleyes: ;)
I hope they make their cameras more customisable than their microwaves though. I can't turn off that annoying beeping when the cooking is done. :mad: I bet if I take the cover off the beeper will be soldered on a pcboard too making any possible disconnection more difficult than just unplugging it.

Ricoh 6th April 2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 477626)
I hope they make their cameras more customisable than their microwaves though. I can't turn off that annoying beeping when the cooking is done. :mad: I bet if I take the cover off the beeper will be soldered on a pcboard too making any possible disconnection more difficult than just unplugging it.

Haha
Seriously, if you have not got access to a microwave leak detector I would not recommend interfering. Microwave radiation is indiscriminate, it will happily cook your eyeballs when you get close to look how your food is progressing. In fact it is a good idea to have microwave ovens checked every few years. But how many of us do that!

drmarkf 6th April 2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 477626)

Yeah, our Panasonic microwave is the same.

An Olympus one would have 27 customisable buttons, 6 rotary dials and a manual 3 thick, but you would be able to turn off the f-ing beeps :D

Ricoh 6th April 2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 477638)
Yeah, our Panasonic microwave is the same.

An Olympus one would have 27 customisable buttons, 6 rotary dials and a manual 3 thick, but you would be able to turn off the f-ing beeps :D

Yeah, but the menu system would be unfavourable. Only the designer would be able to navigate the system. ;)

Ross the fiddler 6th April 2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 477631)
Haha
Seriously, if you have not got access to a microwave leak detector I would not recommend interfering. Microwave radiation is indiscriminate, it will happily cook your eyeballs when you get close to look how your food is progressing. In fact it is a good idea to have microwave ovens checked every few years. But how many of us do that!

There's a metal cover with 4 screws (or something like that). I take it off, look for the buzzer, see it on the pc board & see how accessible it is. If the pc board back is facing out, great then it will be easy to desolder (hopefully). If it's plugged in with leads, fantastic, but not likely. I then refit the cover. All this of course would be done with the power disconnected etc. :rolleyes: ;)

BTW, I deliberately don't stand & look at the food cooking. I move away when it is, because I'm a little bit wary like that. *shrug

BreezeG 4th May 2019 06:47 AM

The Sharp M43 will be a winner if it can cook a jacket potato like my Sharp microwave.

throt 19th May 2019 09:27 PM

So I wonder if/when there will be 30Mpix Olympus cameras

Tordan58 20th May 2019 02:40 PM

I'm intrigued, may I ask why you think of a 30 megapixel Olympus camera in the context of this discussion? Who says that Sharp would push the specs, and that Olympus would follow either using the same sensor as Sharp or have a sensor developed for them by some other semiconductor manufacturer? I'd personally prefer staying at the 20 that the Mark2 is offering while lowering the noise.

I used to have a Sharp video (VHS) player, 30 years back, by the way.

throt 20th May 2019 10:14 PM

actually I was thinking (getting off topic a bit but I hope you will forgive me). Roughly there are 2 types of photographers - 1 who care about quality and Mpix count is not always the main concern. 2 people who think they can photograph if given any camera with huge amount of Mpix. IMHO the 2nd segment is a bit strange - they go for Mpix but upload the images to facebook or any other social environment so generally even 5Mpix would be enough as the images will be downscaled anyways. Even more this segment often even don't notice the images being out of focus. So taking this into account in reality they don't need those 16-24Mpix sensors. But they know that more is better. But in reality it is waste of resources to use those sensors for them. If to use good algorithm then it is possible to upscale a image without basic user even noticing. So when you upscale 40%, you get 20Mpix out from 10 and 31 out from 16. Why camera manufacturer need to say that we have imaging sensor XX Mpix while they can say say that images are upto yy Mpix.

pdk42 21st May 2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tordan58 (Post 481105)
I'm intrigued, may I ask why you think of a 30 megapixel Olympus camera in the context of this discussion? Who says that Sharp would push the specs, and that Olympus would follow either using the same sensor as Sharp or have a sensor developed for them by some other semiconductor manufacturer? I'd personally prefer staying at the 20 that the Mark2 is offering while lowering the noise.

I used to have a Sharp video (VHS) player, 30 years back, by the way.

It's demonstrably not the case that more Mp means more noise. Pick any manufacturer and you'll find that increasing Mp has gone hand-in-hand with reducing noise. The digital photography industry is awash with past predictions from experts saying things like "no-one needs more than 12Mp" etc (e.g. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost...1&postcount=30). I'm pretty sure that 33Mp is coming to m43 and I'm confident that overall IQ will improve because of it.

pdk42 21st May 2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throt (Post 481121)
actually I was thinking (getting off topic a bit but I hope you will forgive me). Roughly there are 2 types of photographers - 1 who care about quality and Mpix count is not always the main concern. 2 people who think they can photograph if given any camera with huge amount of Mpix. IMHO the 2nd segment is a bit strange - they go for Mpix but upload the images to facebook or any other social environment so generally even 5Mpix would be enough as the images will be downscaled anyways. Even more this segment often even don't notice the images being out of focus. So taking this into account in reality they don't need those 16-24Mpix sensors. But they know that more is better. But in reality it is waste of resources to use those sensors for them. If to use good algorithm then it is possible to upscale a image without basic user even noticing. So when you upscale 40%, you get 20Mpix out from 10 and 31 out from 16. Why camera manufacturer need to say that we have imaging sensor XX Mpix while they can say say that images are upto yy Mpix.

It all depends on what you want from your photography. If you are into detailed landscape or architecture and want to print large, then more Mp is a good thing. Of course up-scaling is an option, but you won't be able to recover detail that wasn't there in the first place. Also, if you want to crop (e.g. birding) then more Mp will be of benefit. It's not "strange" to be in the second group!