Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Site news (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   HELP! The reality is that the e-group needs your help (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48195)

rsh1960 30th July 2018 06:42 PM

Re: The reality is that the e-group needs your help

Set up paypal monthly this morning every little helps.

Ian 30th July 2018 08:02 PM

There are lots of reasons not to like smartphones as cameras but they are getting a lot better. They will never be as good as a 'proper' camera to handle and to use comfortably, but the best camera in the world is the one you have with you and that is very often your phone. I think it's very simple; if you are satisfied with the imperfections of a smartphone as a camera to the extent that a 'real' camera is not for you, then that's OK. My only concern is that smartphones might cause you to miss out on discovering how great it is to use a 'proper' camera. My personal view is that if you love photography to its core, a smartphone camera is simply a different photographic challenge. That's how I feel.

Ian

OM USer 30th July 2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 452420)
... However I really don't like using Facebook for technical discussions as the structure means that it is difficult to find old threads and subjects, so the same questions get asked over and over again.

But that generates even more traffic. FB is not a resource; its raison d'etre is to get people to post and comment on recent posts, not just look up old posts.

birdboy 7th August 2018 02:21 PM

I also would like to say thanks to Ian and his team for keeping this forum as it is.

I first read this call for help when it was posted. I then stood back for a while to see what direction it was heading. I like the majority of this forum I donít want to use it as social forum but to learn and contribute where I can about the Olympus four thirds system. The domain name does little to indicate its pedigreed make or the original sponsor.

Now for the money issue. ***Olympus more than anyone else on this planet has the most to gain from this forum ***, unless they are not going to support four thirds in the future.:eek::eek::eek: The money needed to support this forum must be peanuts to a large Camera/Image device manufacturer. The sales that were generated from the forum hype and content must far exceed the money spent on supporting it.

I brought an E3 way back in 2008 I think I was a guess visitor to the site but did not join until 2011. I think I joined because I was having problems getting the images I wanted compared to those that I saw being posted on this forum. I have brought more and more Olympus gear (E5, EM1, EM5 MKII, EM1 MKII and countless lenses and accessories) I dare not add that lot up. I joined because the forum was sponsored by Olympus.

Am I alone in the reasons for joining or thinking that Olympus should be supporting this forum if it sees a future in four thirds?

There is no right answer for everyone in what should be paid by members or how often; but I strongly feel it should not come to that.

So what can be done? I feel that a case should be made to Olympus as to why they should contribute to this forum. I feel a lot more Olympus users would join this forum if they knew it existed and I would suggest that if Olympus was a sponsor of the forum they include within their packaging a flier about the forum. I have attended a few Olympus events and have been disappointed in the number of Olympus users that I spoke to, either they did not know about the forum or did know but were not active members.

I realise that this could take some valuable time to make such a case and in the meantime Ian would need our support and help. What do others think?

Ian 7th August 2018 02:41 PM

Thanks John, I really appreciate your kind and generous words.

Let's not forget that Olympus originally financed the site though it was always made clear that it should be an independent entity owned by me rather than them.

I certainly hope we can persuade renewed support from Olympus but only after modernisation of the site has been completed. Everyone's generosity has ensured that I can invest the necessary time and resources to achieve this.

With a fresh new look and functionality we can start to accelerate the intake of more members and then we can confidently look for sponsors, including Olympus. That's my vision.

Ian

birdboy 7th August 2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 453557)
Thanks John, I really appreciate your kind and generous words.

Let's not forget that Olympus originally financed the site though it was always made clear that it should be an independent entity owned by me rather than them.

I certainly hope we can persuade renewed support from Olympus but only after modernisation of the site has been completed. Everyone's generosity has ensured that I can invest the necessary time and resources to achieve this.

With a fresh new look and functionality we can start to accelerate the intake of more members and then we can confidently look for sponsors, including Olympus. That's my vision.

Ian

Its not the ownership of the site that matters to me but if a company benefits from the positive comments on that site and they end up buying a new camera, lens or accessory surely its right that they should make a contribution to the upkeep of that site. I certainly have paid thousands of pounds buying Olympus equipment directly as a result of comments experiences and information received from this forum. I have been tempted by the dark side and wanted to switch systems because of what I saw as better systems for what I wanted to photo, but through the experiences of and information on this site I stayed with the mFT format and went for the EM1 MKII and 300mm f4 lens. Had it not been for this forum I think I would now own a Canon.

I don't know if there is a way for people to show what influence this forum has on buying into the Olympus system, its the guests that are the unknown. As I am typing this I see their are 14 members and 111 guess's. So come you guess's sign up and let us know what you think.

peak4 7th August 2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdboy (Post 453588)
I don't know if there is a way for people to show what influence this forum has on buying into the Olympus system, its the guests that are the unknown. As I am typing this I see their are 14 members and 111 guess's. So come you guess's sign up and let us know what you think.

It may not be that the guests haven't sign up, rather that they haven't signed in.
I suspect many folks only sign in when they wish to post; on this forum I'm able to stay signed in via my browser's "remember me" so every time I visit, I'm signed in.

On some other forums I visit, the browser/forum combination isn't so amenable, so I only sign in when I'm actually posting or accessing private messages.

Phill D 7th August 2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdboy (Post 453588)
I certainly have paid thousands of pounds buying Olympus equipment directly as a result of comments experiences and information received from this forum. I have been tempted by the dark side and wanted to switch systems because of what I saw as better systems for what I wanted to photo, but through the experiences of and information on this site I stayed with the mFT format and went for the EM1 MKII and 300mm f4 lens. Had it not been for this forum I think I would now own a Canon.

I agree entirely with John's comments above (except I haven't quite gone for the 300mm yet!) I was really dissapointed when I found out Oly had pulled the support from the forum. That was a big incentive to me to go and look at other systems. The weight advantages kept me with Oly at the time but now Sony in particular have a fairly extensive lightweight system. I'd say having a successful friendly forum like this in their user support service would be an excellent marketing tool for Oly as the mirrorless marketplace hots up and gets more competitive.

MJ224 8th August 2018 07:55 AM

Agree with the above. Have really thought about going FF, but the thought of all that expense turns me back. In reality, my standard of photomanship does not warrant FF, as I can achieve what I want with the smaller sensor anyway.

And have to add that the Oly kit (Em1 ii) is a superb set of kit anyway. AND this forum works so very well. Olympus Cameras are missing a trick I reckon...Ö...

Ian 8th August 2018 08:14 AM

Most guests showing routinely are bots, to be honest. Others may be people visiting as a result of searches.

Ian

AMc 8th August 2018 02:04 PM

I usually find forums by Googling for specific things.

If a forum keeps popping up with useful results then I'll register and participate.

Locking down a site to prevent search bots or restricting access to useful information so it isn't search indexed will mean only personal recommendations will bring in new users.
That sounds like a recipe for a shrinking user base to me.

The exception I can see some value in is with trading forums.

TalkPhotography require a significant amount of participation before you can see their classifieds. This makes a lot of sense to me as a way of protecting buyers and sellers from fly by night traders and scams.

Zuiko 8th August 2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnheatingman (Post 453684)

reCAPTCHA - is that the system where you have to tick all the pictures that contain a road sign or something similar? I hate it with a vengeance and if any site I'm trying to view comes up with it I simply browse elsewhere. It may prevent bots but it deters genuine interest too. :(

Keith-369 8th August 2018 04:58 PM

I have seen sites where they just say "Tick this box to prove you are human". Simple but effective. *chr

Zuiko 8th August 2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith-369 (Post 453699)
I have seen sites where they just say "Tick this box to prove you are human". Simple but effective. *chr

That I can just about cope with! It's when I have to squint close-up at the screen, trying to decide if one of the squares contains a tiny piece of road sign (or whatever) in the bottom right-hand corner.

Ian 8th August 2018 09:45 PM

Can I just explain that the 'guests' issue is nothing to do with login security or human verification.

The guests represent mostly normal traffic to the site by either people (unregistered visitors or members not logged in) as well as 'bots', most of which are indexing new content for search engines, etc.

Malicious activity is quite low and our server is protected against this.

Moving to a more up to date version of the forum software, which is planned as previously explained, will improve that security further.

We vet new account registrations and, indeed, recently I have been requiring new member registrations to be approved before they are activated.

We already employ human verification measures which are very effective.

Occasionally a spammer gets through when we relax the controls but they are very quickly zapped by the moderators.

We also block the root IP addresses from where spam registrations come from.

Ian