Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   LCD screen (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46998)

TomTPC 13th January 2018 11:21 AM

LCD screen

My screen on om-de-m5m2 has stopped working.has this happend to anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wornish 13th January 2018 03:12 PM

Re: LCD screen

Is the viewfinder working OK?

Have you tried restoring the camera to factory default settings ?

Have you tried removing the battery and replacing it after say 10 minutes?

TomTPC 13th January 2018 03:20 PM

hi Dave, yes the viewfinder is working, i have tried the battery. don't know to reset to factory setting as i can't access the menu, due to the screen not working.:):)

wornish 13th January 2018 03:23 PM

Try this hidden hard factory reset

this will lose all of your settings including date and time
Power on with [menu] held down
When LCD lights, release [menu]
press the following sequence: [menu], [down] to spanner, [right], [down] to LCD brightness, [right] [info] [ok]
now for the actual reset: Hold [menu]+[ok] together for a few seconds to get the hardware reset screen. [ok] to proceed.

TomTPC 13th January 2018 03:25 PM

i can't do this as the screen is blank Dave.

wornish 13th January 2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomTPC (Post 437382)
i can't do this as the screen is blank Dave.

So with the camera power set to OFF.

Press and hold the Menu Button and then power it back ON still holding the menu button. The screen should come back to life. Then you can release the menu button. If it doesn't come on then I am afraid you have a fault.

wornish 13th January 2018 03:36 PM

Just a thought try removing the lens and memory card and doing a hard reset.

pault 13th January 2018 03:37 PM

Have you pressed button F3. Also, if you hold f3 down you then get a menu option to enable ‘eye sensor’ on/off.

TomTPC 13th January 2018 03:38 PM

Hi Dave thanks for your help tried that and it didn't work. thanks again.

iso 14th January 2018 06:13 PM

TOM, This happened to me 3 weeks into a world tour... Terrible and weird. Couldn't even know if the camera was taking shots. Fortunately a travelling companion swapped my Card into her camera and confirmed it was still taking stuff - so for the next 3 months I was shooting like Film - Never knowing what was to come out.
FEAR NOT - Unfortunately the Body has to be returned the those great folk in Luton. The screen will be replaced and returned with an accompanying Info Sheet explaining exactly which way to twist and turn the Screen back into position on the back of the camera. A point NOT made in the original Manual. (I was not charged for the repair, which suggests it is not that rare a problem).
Let me know how you get on

TimP 14th January 2018 06:31 PM

So are we saying that there is a right and a wrong way to twist and turn the screen back into position? How can it be possible to do it wrongly?
(Vague recollection of my 5II screen being unexpectedly blank once)

Ricoh 14th January 2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 437456)
TOM, This happened to me 3 weeks into a world tour... Terrible and weird. Couldn't even know if the camera was taking shots. Fortunately a travelling companion swapped my Card into her camera and confirmed it was still taking stuff - so for the next 3 months I was shooting like Film - Never knowing what was to come out.
FEAR NOT - Unfortunately the Body has to be returned the those great folk in Luton. The screen will be replaced and returned with an accompanying Info Sheet explaining exactly which way to twist and turn the Screen back into position on the back of the camera. A point NOT made in the original Manual. (I was not charged for the repair, which suggests it is not that rare a problem).
Let me know how you get on

Ah, the twists and turns of digital photography. Rather fitting, either on or off, 1's or 0's. Ignore the screen and shot like a pro.

TomTPC 14th January 2018 08:32 PM

I will, if this is correct re the right or wrong way to twist the screen. it will make nervous to use it, that being said i don't think the product is fit for purpose.

TomTPC 14th January 2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 437459)
Ah, the twists and turns of digital photography. Rather fitting, either on or off, 1's or 0's. Ignore the screen and shot like a pro.

Wether I am a pro or not, the product should work correctly you enough for it.

Ricoh 14th January 2018 08:44 PM

Unless the display connectivity is via slip rings it does sound plausible that the display has a right and a wrong way of twisting. If it's a small bundle of wires or flexi-printed-circuit, it's only a matter of time for the copper to work harden and snap. It will have been designed with a working life, whatever duration that is.

As always, products should be designed to be used by the average person without inside knowledge as to which way to twist or turn.