Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44574)

griffljg 27th June 2019 11:24 PM

Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 484240)
I never reuse a card until I have ingested its contents, usually culled them, and backed up to at least two different media, preferably three.

I am in total agreement with you there. In fact, I am probably worse. I am so paranoid about losing my photos that, apart from the 3x4TB worth of backups at home, I usually take 3x4TB external hard disk drives (1xThunderbolt and 2xUSB), together with my MacBook Pro along with me when I travel. Every evening, I download (and usually process) additional photos taken that day.

In spite of this, I don't delete data from the cards in the camera(s) until I get home. Then it is a case of re-formating the cards in the camera.

Tordan58 28th June 2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 484224)
For my usage the 128Gb ones gave better value, but for others the 64s might be better - for example, some people don't like having so many eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the tip-off, anyway! I've got a couple of long, wildlife-heavy trips coming up in quick succession and it will be good not to have to download and backup and then wipe my cards between trips.

I fully agree with the concern regarding relying on one card only. Even though cards are reliable, still the following risks cannot be eliminated:
  1. Card HW fatal error. Mitigated by frequent backups, or use dual drives/full redundancy.
  2. Card logical error, corrupted file system. Parts of the files could potentially be recovered. Also mitigated by dual drives (1.)
  3. Card gets lost or dropped. Make sure you have backup, stored safely elsewhere. I try to swap backups with my travel mate. I also have a portable HDD or laptop to make backups.
  4. Camera gets stolen, including the only card you are using, and also the backup card if any. Mitigated by 3.
  5. Camera bag/hand luggage gets stolen. Then you probably have deeper problems to take care of such as getting replacement cards and passport...
1, 2 and 3 have happened to me. I can tell it hurts.

Tordan58 28th June 2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 484224)
For my usage the 128Gb ones gave better value, but for others the 64s might be better - for example, some people don't like having so many eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the tip-off, anyway! I've got a couple of long, wildlife-heavy trips coming up in quick succession and it will be good not to have to download and backup and then wipe my cards between trips.

I fully agree with the concern regarding relying on one card only. Even though cards are reliable, still the following risks cannot be eliminated:
  1. Card HW fatal error. Mitigated by frequent backups, or use dual drives/full redundancy.
  2. Card logical error, corrupted file system. Parts of the files could potentially be recovered. Also mitigated by dual drives (1.)
  3. Card gets lost or dropped. Make sure you have backup, stored safely elsewhere. I try to swap backups with my travel mate. I also have a portable HDD or laptop to make backups.
  4. Camera gets stolen, including the only card you are using, and also the backup card if any. Mitigated by 3.
  5. Camera bag/hand luggage gets stolen. Then you probably have deeper problems to take care of such as getting replacement cards and passport...
1, 2 and 3 have happened to me. I can tell it hurts.

TimP 28th June 2019 08:45 AM

Years ago, in the early days of digital when card capacities were in the low MB, I used to travel with a gadget that comprised a HDD, a card reader and a small screen, probably still got it somewhere too. Does anything like that still exist? The problem back then was as the card capacities got bigger then the longer it would take to copy the contents (a 1-button press) and you risked battery depletion part way through! Surely by now something better exists. It needs a way to automagically copy from the 3 (?) main card formats to the upgradeable HDD. That’d work for me as I’d keep the full card until I got home anyway.

drmarkf 28th June 2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 484270)
Years ago, in the early days of digital when card capacities were in the low MB, I used to travel with a gadget that comprised a HDD, a card reader and a small screen, probably still got it somewhere too. Does anything like that still exist? The problem back then was as the card capacities got bigger then the longer it would take to copy the contents (a 1-button press) and you risked battery depletion part way through! Surely by now something better exists. It needs a way to automagically copy from the 3 (?) main card formats to the upgradeable HDD. That’d work for me as I’d keep the full card until I got home anyway.

Yes, I still have a first generation WD Passport drive, which sucks up the contents of an SD card you stuff in the slot. I’ve found this reliable, but a bit clunky (the accompanying app has improved over recent updates, but it isn’t very intuitive).

There are allegedly more modern and easier to use WDs now available, including SSD ones, but I recently invested in a RAVpower AC750, which is under half the price of the WD and adds all sorts of useful capabilities: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Fi...gateway&sr=8-3
I’ve got a variety of RAV devices for other purposes (eg power banks and travel chargers) and I’ve always found them well made and reliable.

While travelling I always try to keep my full cards and my backup drive in different places, with only one of these in the room safe.

Personally I’d say human error was a much greater risk than card failure, and the more things you do to your cards before they are fully backed up to 3-2-1 standards the greater the chances of a cock-up. A simple process which you do every time in exactly the same way is key IMHO.

I’ve never had a card failure, but I’ve formatted the wrong card, and gone out with the card back in my hotel room still in a card reader. I’d say anyone who thinks they’d never make a mistake like that is just about to find out otherwise!

TimP 28th June 2019 10:22 AM

Thanks Mark, I remember looking into that Rav device and can’t for the life of me remember why I didn’t buy one!
I too use various bits of Rav kit, along with Anker, both of whom I’d happily buy from again.

Back to looking at the device you linked.......

drmarkf 28th June 2019 10:31 AM

BTW the way to avoid suffering from leaving your card(s) in your hotel room is by never selling or discarding your old cards. Instead, keep one in the bottom of each photography (and other) bag you ever use, plus one in the car glove compartment and in any other place where it might prove a lifesaver!

TimP 28th June 2019 10:39 AM

Discard a card? Do people do that? I’ve got cards going back to a 128MB SM (big, waffer thin thing!)
When out and about with camera and bins I always carry a little Sandisk wallet thing with spare cards and (bino) AA batteries in.
I can’t say I’ve ever used a hotel room safe!

MikeOxon 28th June 2019 10:43 AM

How we treasure our photos :)

Of course, they are personal memories but what a lot of storage hardware we are leaving for our descendants to put in the skip.

With high speed cards and rapid-fire shooting, I find the biggest problem is sorting out all those surplus images when I get home. I find that AfterShotPro is useful for this sorting, because it can display up to 6 images on-screen at once and couple them together, so that they can be scrolled and zoomed as a group. This makes it relatively easy to choose 'the one' and discard the rest.

I have been pleased with my rule of keeping everything initially when, twice, I found I had taken a rare bird, without realising it. My shots could easily have been deleted. *chr

TimP 28th June 2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOxon (Post 484290)
How we treasure our photos :)

Of course, they are personal memories but what a lot of storage hardware we are leaving for our descendants to put in the skip.

I think it’s a bloke thing, but you’re right, into the skip they all will go and after a recent visit to Norfolk this will mean hundreds of ‘slightly too distant’ shots of a pair of barn owls hunting and such like. I won’t mention the thousands of pictures of the backs of whales which I can’t bring myself to delete for no reason other than, well, no reason!