Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   New mk2 battery grip (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43422)

Mdb2 17th November 2016 09:03 AM

New mk2 battery grip

Hi, judging by the physical size and also with the extra switch, does the new grip hold 2 of the new batteries? I was watching a video where it was stated that it does indeed hold two batteries.
Kind regards Mike

Olybirder 17th November 2016 09:19 AM

Re: New mk2 battery grip

According to this Olympus product description page it holds one battery.

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/...d_9/index.html

Ron

Ian 17th November 2016 10:21 AM

Only one battery but that battery is twice as large as the old one (physically, at least).

Ian

Mdb2 17th November 2016 10:32 AM

Thanks people, I thought he was wrong!
Kind regards Mike

iso 17th November 2016 07:16 PM

Looks like Battery Grips make a Small Body into a large one -- why not just keep another in your pocket!!!!

Ian 17th November 2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 398639)
Looks like Battery Grips make a Small Body into a large one -- why not just keep another in your pocket!!!!

The grip improves the balance when using bigger lenses and of course when shooting in portrait mode.

Ian

JohnGG 17th November 2016 11:39 PM

Quote:

For me the grip is essential as I have large hands ... using the E-M1 Mk1 without the grip feels very uncomfortable, even with standard lenses let alone long ones. A bit like being given toddler's cutlery to eat with :confused:

Cheers,

JohnGG

Mdb2 18th November 2016 08:06 AM

I do use longer lenses quite regularly between 300-500mm the grip is necessary to balance out the outfit. However with a combination price for the em1mk2 and grip costing circa 2200 I really am struggling as to whether, or more so when to get the combo? Think I will stick with the 7d2 for a while more. On another note I noticed my local LCE had the 300pro in stock if anyone wants one, so supplies are getting more plentiful.
Kind regards Mike

iso 18th November 2016 04:55 PM

I agree about the GRIP, and use one on my 5 Mkll, it's the extra Battery holder part that I was talking about.:)

JohnGG 18th November 2016 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 398715)
I agree about the GRIP, and use one on my 5 Mkll, it's the extra Battery holder part that I was talking about.:)

Unlike the two-piece grip/battery holder of the E-M5 (both mks 1 & 2 I think), the E-M1 mk 1 & 2 grips are one-piece items that include space for the battery so you don't have option of omitting it. I guess that's because the deeper grip that is standard on the E-M1 bodies obviates the need for a separate supplementary grip.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Mdb2 19th November 2016 11:17 AM

Unfortunately on two visits to two demos I still never saw let alone experience the grip. I wonder when the new twin flash for MACRO will be available to try, at this point in time I have not seen any photos of the main screen/switches. Maybe in the new year more will be on show/sale.
Kind regards Mike

Ross the fiddler 19th November 2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

The 'grip' isn't just a 'grip' with another battery, but it is also for taking portrait oriented photos without that arm across the top (side). This HLD-9 not only includes a shutter release button, front & rear dials, Bfn1 & Bfn2 but also a 4 way pad which would make it even more useful than the HLD-7. If you've never used a battery, portrait grip before then maybe you might like to try one. *yes

For those that just want more finger hold, the Arca Swiss base plate adds more grip area for the little finger & I've used one (affordable iShoot brand off ebay) on my E-M1 with nice results, but I prefer the HLD-7 for the included battery & portrait position use too.

Gwyver 19th November 2016 04:14 PM

I found that the HLD-7 to be too large & cumbersome and that it didn't improve my camera handling when the 40-150 + MC14 was attached. It is also unsuitable for use with an L-plate to attach to a tripod.

Given that the HLD-9 must be even larger - bigger battery, extra space for arrow pad, deeper hand grip, etc. - I wouldn't be using it, even if it came as a freebie.

iso 19th November 2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnGG (Post 398760)
Unlike the two-piece grip/battery holder of the E-M5 (both mks 1 & 2 I think), the E-M1 mk 1 & 2 grips are one-piece items that include space for the battery so you don't have option of omitting it. I guess that's because the deeper grip that is standard on the E-M1 bodies obviates the need for a separate supplementary grip.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Didn't know that - us lucky E-M5 owners:D

Phill D 20th November 2016 10:21 AM

I've got small hands and have never used the grip on my EM1. I just feel it adds too much weight and is too bulky. If I use a long lens I'll steady it by holding the lens. The grip just makes it all unwieldy for me. Not much chance me moving to FF I guess :)

andym 20th November 2016 10:36 AM

Wouldn't be without on. I think if there had been a offer of a free one for past purchasers of the system like with the E3, EM-5, E-M1 mk1 etc I'd have committed but as it is I'm waiting at the mo.
Do have a 12-100 on order though ;);););)

Ross the fiddler 20th November 2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andym (Post 398886)
Wouldn't be without on. I think if there had been a offer of an free one for past purchasers of the system like with the E3, EM-5 etc I'd have committed but as it is I'm waiting at the mo.
Do have a 12-100 on order though ;);););)

My E-30 came 2nd hand but I bought the HLD-4 for that as soon as I could, the E-M5 only had a bonus MMF-3 down here at first (other offers came along later) & so I eventually bought the HLD-6 for that, but when my E-M1 came along I got the $300 Cash Back which covered the cost for the HLD-7 & later more generous offers also came (included the extra battery with the grip) & so I have had a grip for those three models & mostly it stays on them as well & of course, I use the portrait grip controls for portrait position shooting. *yes ;)

The grips work nice with my shiny new 40-150 Pro lens too. :D