Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Thinking of taking the plunge on an E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37856)

daveben 21st May 2015 08:27 PM

Thinking of taking the plunge on an E-M1

Hi,

I have an E30 and a number of 4/3rds lenses. Until a week ago, I had ignored the micro 4/3rds scene, believing that none of my lenses would work. However, I now see that, by ignoring the scene, the E-M1 has completely passed me by!

I am however, slightly confused as to what works and what doesn't, so perhaps someone could provide some clarity for me.

The lenses I have which I'd like to use with this camera are:
50mm F2
12-60 F2.8-4
50-200 F2.8-3.5 (MKI non SWD, and usually used with EC-14)
Sigma 50-500mm ED

I know that I need the MMF-3 adaptor to use these lenses but can anyone advise on how well any of these auto-focus on the E-M1. If I understand correctly, not all the focus points are available but that's fine. I just need them to work at least as well as they do on the E-30.

How does the focussing compare for speed and accuracy to the E-30? On the E-30, I never use C-AF as I could not make it work (I have to feather the shutter button instead). Is C-AF only really useable with 4/3rds lenses or is it really only now useable with m4/3rds lenses?

I have had a PX offer from WEX for my old E-510 so I'm thinking of chopping that in and retaining the E-30 as my back up.

I'd love to try the camera out before purchase but there's nowhere around here that does the try before you buy scheme.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Dave

pdk42 21st May 2015 08:47 PM

Re: Thinking of taking the plunge on an E-M1

I have an E-M1 and although most of my lenses are u43, I do have the 50-200 non SWD. It works very well on the E-M1, although in general the AF performance on moving subjects isn't up to Nikon or Canon DSLR levels. For what I use it for, it's fine.

I don't have any other 4/3 lenses and I've never used a 4/3 camera so I can't help you with comparisons. OTOH, I can attest to the E- M1's General qualities - it's a very nice camera indeed with very good IQ (for the sensor size) and excellent handling.

If you want to try before you buy and all else fails, I'd be happy to let you play with my E-M1 - Staffs isn't a million miles from Warks.

greenguru 21st May 2015 09:14 PM

Dave,

I use a 14-54, 50-200 and 50-500 with my EM1 and MMF3. It all works fine. Tracking CAF is acceptable but for everything else it's really good. I thought it was a big step up from my E3. The range and versatility makes the camera far more useable.

I may upgrade one day to a 12-40 but I am in no rush.

Rob

Simon 21st May 2015 09:30 PM

Referring only to the combination I have - EM-1 + 12-60 +mmf3, this focusses as quickly as my E-3 on SAF (sorry, don't know about the E30); its very usable, but the camera is SO much more versatile than the E series (echo Rob). The dynamic range is a leap forward, HDR for example, is very, very useful in high contrast situations, and the Live View is virtually instantaneous. The body balances very well with the 12-60 if you also get the grip too. *yes

Simon.

Ralph Harwood 21st May 2015 09:39 PM

Hi there Daveben!

I have upgraded from the E-30 to an E-M1 and it is well worth doing. I use all my 4/3rds lenses with it and the focus at least as fast if not faster on the E-M1. I am however beginning to switch over to m4/3 lenses simply because of the smaller sizes mean I can carry many more with me.

I have so far used :- 10-20mm sigma hsm, 14-54 oly - 30mm f1.4 sigma, 50mm f2 oly, 85mm f1.4 Samyang manual focus, 70-200mmf2.8 sigma, 105mm sigma macro and 150mm sigma macro.

The 85mm f1.4 comes into it's own on the E-M1 as the magnification through the viewfinder or using focus peaking really helps a lot.

With regards to keeping the E-30 as a back-up - I have, but it has left the house once since I got the E-M1 as the E-M1 is just so much better!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ross the fiddler 21st May 2015 10:30 PM

I have the E30 & E-M1 & it has been a great upgrade indeed. The only caveat is that the E-M1 only has horizontal PD-AF sensing whereas the E-30 has twin cross sensors & there are circumstances in low contrast/light that it may struggle to focus, but apart from that the E-M1 is very good to use. If you do go for it I would recommend getting at least one native lens to go with it. If on a budget the 12-50 kit lens (weather sealed & optimised for video with optional power zoom & added macro) or the 12-40 pro lens as there are some good package deals around now (free grip & cash back etc). The HLD-7 is best used with it if using the 50-200 lens etc for better balance & added battery life. The Sigma 150 macro lens works well on it too as well as the EC14 with various lenses, plus the E-M1 has fine AF adjustment (being PD-AF with 4/3's lenses) similar to the E-30 for when needed with some lenses (if they aren't as accurate as they could/should be). I certainly would recommend the E-M1 & although I also have the E-30 as a possible backup (my normal 2nd camera & backup is the E-M5), I only get it out to compare & realise it comes short on IQ compared to the E-M1. I needed to lend my E-30 for another photog (used to Nikon) for my daughters wedding & he should have used a flash with it indoors whereas I was happily clicking away without a flash on my E-M1. I'm sure you would love it & particularly after you have learnt all the possible settings on it too.

I wish you well with your decission.

*chr

Phill D 22nd May 2015 05:44 AM

I agree with Ross whole heartedly and was going to mention the horizontal PD-AF too. For me it's the only flaw with the EM-1 and is slowly making me transfer to micro 4/3s lenses, which is probably what Olympus wants us to do. Even then I'd prefer cross sensors so hope they do that on the EM-2. In general most of the Olympus 4/3s lenses work pretty well taking this into account but I will say they do seem to work a little better even on my old E510 & E1 (which I still love BTW but hardly use). My Panasonic 14-150 also works ok but the Oly ones generally seem a bit better to AF. It was a great offer from Paul and I can make you the same offer of a trial if you'd like. Derby is a bit closer.

sdb123 22nd May 2015 07:02 AM

I've been considering the E-M1 too (or the E-M5 MKII :o)...have you seen this trade-in promotion against the E-M1 at London Camera Exchange?

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Promotion/...cials_365.html

They're offering an extra £150 against any working digital camera, plus of course the ongoing Olympus offer of a free grip.

*chr

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice that WEX were also offering the same...happy days!

daveben 22nd May 2015 08:15 AM

Thanks for the all replies. I am pretty much convinced. My main aim of upgrading is to get IQ more in keeping with recent cameras and, so long as AF works as well as it used to, that's fine - any improvement would be a bonus.

Thanks also for the offers of seeing one in the flesh - Phill D, I'll send you a PM.

One question though - someone mentioned an E-M2? Is that on its way any time soon? Might it be worth waiting?

Thanks again - I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Dave

daveben 22nd May 2015 08:22 AM

Phill D - sorry, just found I can't PM you. Any chance you can send me one and I'll reply?

Thanks

Dave

rosco 22nd May 2015 08:45 AM

Hdew are selling E-M1 body only for £575 with a 3 year warranty.These are grey imports however.

Hdew have a good reputation and a lot of forum members have used them.

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus...ody-1523-p.asp

daveben 22nd May 2015 09:39 AM

I did think about HDEW but "authorised" dealers currently have two offers on - 150 trade in for any working camera and a free grip. As I'm after the grip as well, once you take this into account, the grey market doesn't seem so attractive. Might be a different mattter if I'm after new lenses in a while though!

Thanks

Dave

Ross the fiddler 22nd May 2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveben (Post 345590)
Thanks for the all replies. I am pretty much convinced. My main aim of upgrading is to get IQ more in keeping with recent cameras and, so long as AF works as well as it used to, that's fine - any improvement would be a bonus.

Thanks also for the offers of seeing one in the flesh - Phill D, I'll send you a PM.

One question though - someone mentioned an E-M2? Is that on its way any time soon? Might it be worth waiting?

Thanks again - I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Dave

The E-M5 II is also available now but it only works OK (AF) with some 4/3's lenses as it only uses CD-AF unlike the E-M1 that also uses PD-AF. SWD lenses are not designed for Live View Contrast Detect AF & that is where the E-M1 is the only M4/3's camera that works with them properly.

Gwyver 22nd May 2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 345558)
Referring only to the combination I have - EM-1 + 12-60 +mmf3, this focusses as quickly as my E-3 on SAF (sorry, don't know about the E30); its very usable, but the camera is SO much more versatile than the E series (echo Rob). The dynamic range is a leap forward, HDR for example, is very, very useful in high contrast situations, and the Live View is virtually instantaneous. The body balances very well with the 12-60 if you also get the grip too. *yes

Simon.

I agree with Simon's comments about the 12-60. It also works well on the E-M1 without the grip.
If/when you encounter the horizontal PDAF sensor not achieving lock, simply rotate the camera through about 45 degrees, half press again to get focus lock, and re-rotate the camera to recompose.

Phill D 22nd May 2015 08:07 PM

Chris you are correct rotating the camera does work, maybe I'm odd but boy do I find it irritating to have to do that on what was for me over a £1000 camera at the time.