Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M5 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Can't get FL-50 to fire on E-M5 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21958)

jdal 27th July 2012 10:37 AM

Can't get FL-50 to fire on E-M5

Got my first big problem on the E-M5. I can't persuade the FL-50 to fire.
Note - FL-50, not FL-50R
- The Orange flash symbol shows in the top right of the screen
- Doesn't fire in any flash mode
- Tried several camera modes incl 'S' mode with shutter speed 250 and also 'P' mode
- Tried full reset on camera
- Flash shows TTL and responds to focussing
- Flash works fine on E-P2
- The little flash that comes with the camera works fine
- Tried cleaning contacts
- Tried powerup camera then flash and vice versa
- I have 1.2 firmware
- It worked a month ago.

:eek:

Any ideas anyone, or does it have to go back?

Wally 27th July 2012 12:07 PM

Re: Can't get FL-50 to fire on E-M5

I'd be inclined to give Oly a bell to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Considering it [fl-50]worked a month ago and still works on the E-P2 it just might possibly be a glitch in the firmware upgrade.

Ross the fiddler 27th July 2012 12:59 PM

I just tried my FL50 on mine (E-M5 still has firmware version 1.1) & it works fine. Oly Japan have stopped the update with this on the web page "The update service to Ver. 1.2 was temporarily discontinued. The update service to Ver. 1.1 is available."

jdal 27th July 2012 01:12 PM

The flash fires when it's being inserted into the camera, it doesn't do that when I stick it in the E-P3. Attaching via a TTL cord has no effect - everything stays the same. The flash fires when I slide in the camera end into the hotshoe. I did notice that the little flash has a projecting pin right at the front, and no other pins whereas the FL50 has a tiny flat metal contact in that position, and the usual TTL pins.

It sounds like something is shorting out here :eek:

Ross the fiddler 27th July 2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdal (Post 178854)
The flash fires when it's being inserted into the camera, it doesn't do that when I stick it in the E-P3. Attaching via a TTL cord has no effect - everything stays the same. The flash fires when I slide in the camera end into the hotshoe. I did notice that the little flash has a projecting pin right at the front, and no other pins whereas the FL50 has a tiny flat metal contact in that position, and the usual TTL pins.

It sounds like something is shorting out here :eek:

Your FL50 has a pin that locates in the locking position when the thumbwheel is wound down (which is what the "tiny flat metal contact in that position" is). This needs to be fully wound up to allow it to go in all the way before hand. Could this be the problem? BTW, the flash should be OFF when inserting into the camera, otherwise it might corrupt its data connection.

jdal 27th July 2012 01:39 PM

Ah, that's the pin I see on the small flash - it must do all of it's communication via the port. That's not the problem with the FL50 I don't think.

I've rung Oly support - send it in was the verdict.

:mad::(

It'll need to wait a couple of weeks - I'm off to Bruges for a week at the beginning of August and I don't want them trying to deliver it when I'm not there. One delivery firm left the package on the front step!

Thanks for the replies all.

Ian 27th July 2012 01:58 PM

Are you absolutely sure that flash is enabled in the camera? have you tried the bundled unit?

Ian

jdal 27th July 2012 02:08 PM

Yes, I have tried the bundled unit and it works ok. Also the flash symbol is shown in the top right when you half press the shutter.

Ross the fiddler 27th July 2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 178859)
Are you absolutely sure that flash is enabled in the camera? have you tried the bundled unit?

Ian

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdal (Post 178860)
Yes, I have tried the bundled unit and it works ok. Also the flash symbol is shown in the top right when you half press the shutter.

My E-M5 shows the FL50 firmware in the flash as being 1.0 & it would be interesting to know if John's shows the same. That would be the first indication the camera & flash have some communication.

jdal 27th July 2012 03:02 PM

It's communicating, because you can hear it responding to zoom changes and the flash is in TTL mode, which means that the flash/camera can negotiate the TTL protocols.

I'ts all in the OP ;) (well most of it)

jdal 27th July 2012 03:18 PM

And it shows Flash V1.0 in the firmware enquiry.

jdal 28th August 2012 04:52 PM

Just an update - just got the cam back from Oly Service and they've replaced the "Top Cover". All is well now.