Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Foto Fair (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   From our walk today... she's still going strong!! (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=933)

theMusicMan 17th February 2008 07:54 PM

From our walk today... she's still going strong!!

Heather that is... :) She still takes her camera with her when we all go out for walks or hikes. Today we went on a short 3 mile walk along a stretch of the Monmouth & Brecon canal and returned on an unused railway path. I had one of those 'feel like playing in Photoshop' moments and came up with this.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_montage.jpg

Nick Temple-Fry 17th February 2008 08:44 PM

Re: From our walk today... she's still going strong!!

Nice.

I can't think of a better description than that much abused word.

Just honestly nice.

Nick

emirpprime 17th February 2008 09:44 PM

Very nice. Simple and effective photoshop work, and always good to hear of a young'un learning the ways of the e-system ;)

I presume it was her shot of the dog? Nice action capture if so.

I think she also has something to teach many of us about taking the camera out with you as often as possible too :) I was caught without today when walking around the local RSPB reserve with friends and regretted it, but atleast my gf had her little canon p&s!

Phil

Susan 23rd February 2008 10:30 PM

Hey John

Liking the composition of your montage of shots, they really show the concentration of heather's shots showing through in your shots.

Really nice candid style shots :)

Ellie 24th February 2008 12:06 AM

That's a lovely montage.

She looks very comfortable with the camera too, you'll have to get her to share some of her pictures with us on here. :)

theMusicMan 24th February 2008 12:16 AM

I will do Ellie, thanks. When I told her about Ian's new competition, and of the subject, she was really excited and asked can she enter.

So... look out everyone, a larger than life 10yr old intends to make an entrance... :)

Nick Temple-Fry 24th February 2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 8584)
So... look out everyone, a larger than life 10yr old intends to make an entrance... :)

All 10yr olds are larger than life (if they are not them something bad is happenning), what is sad is that we lose some of that 'size' through time and experience.

Nick

theMusicMan 24th February 2008 03:08 AM

Yeah, you're right there Nick. The innocence of youth eh!

Kids... who'd have them... :) me for one.

Just had an SMS, then when I replied, a call from my lad who was this evening out with some so called 'friends'. He's a tad fed up with the way he's treated by some of them - who are in full-time jobs now; paying to go into clubs and pubs then only staying there for a short time - something he can't afford, as they can. He feels used and not considered I guess.

One of life's lessons has been learned tonight I suppose - hence I'm up at this hour waiting for him as he comes home.

Melaka 24th February 2008 08:48 AM

Beautiful pix. What interested me is that she holds the lens between index and middle finger rather than between index finger and thumb, which I'd have thought is easier even with small hands.

Invicta 24th February 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 8584)
I will do Ellie, thanks. When I told her about Ian's new competition, and of the subject, she was really excited and asked can she enter.

The winning photo is likely to have something different about it to catch the judges eye so definitely encourage her to enter. She may just catch that originality that we old ones often miss due to being "conformist".

Barr1e 24th February 2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invicta (Post 8631)
The winning photo is likely to have something different about it to catch the judges eye so definitely encourage her to enter. She may just catch that originality that we old ones often miss due to being "conformist".

Watch it! - Lol.:D
===================================

John -

Heather showing true talent and I hope she does well in the competition.

Regards. Barr1e

theMusicMan 24th February 2008 10:06 PM

Thanks all for your encouraging comments re Heather. What I spotted and liked about the main image above is that Heather, quite remarkably, lent up against the fence post, using it as a stabiliser, to take her image. I was a few yards further down the path and turned around to see her doing this so decided to take a quickie.

She hasn't updated her Zenfolio gallery for a little while so I must help her with that soon.

I'll tell her you are all encouraging her to enter.

Cheers all...

Jim Ford 24th February 2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 8664)
I'll tell her you are all encouraging her to enter.

I'm not - she'll reduce my chances!

Pity the subject of the competition couldn't be something distasteful to 10yr old girls, like spiders or slugs - to discourage her from entering!
;^)

Jim

theMusicMan 24th February 2008 10:16 PM

Haha Jim... nice one.

D'ya know... I have wondered how members of the public would perceive a 10yr old taking candid/street photographs of them...? That's an interesting scenario yeah?

No idea as yet as to what type of shot I want to try to get to enter into this excellent competition, and haven't really discussed it with Heather, but I know sh'e be well up for having a go. :)

Jim Ford 25th February 2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 8667)
D'ya know... I have wondered how members of the public would perceive a 10yr old taking candid/street photographs of them...?

I would say that a 10yr old would be at a distinct advantage, because they'd be perceived as non-threatening (well, most of them anyway!).

Jim