Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Photos taken by Stanley Kubrick when he was only 17 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50219)

Ricoh 31st March 2019 12:10 AM

Photos taken by Stanley Kubrick when he was only 17

https://www.demilked.com/old-photos-...kPSr8xO4Did9bk

The photo camera is indeed a time machine, most of the individuals captured will have passed on.

Naughty Nigel 2nd April 2019 07:58 AM

Re: Photos taken by Stanley Kubrick when he was only 17

A fascinating collection of images, thank you.

He liked his subway cars. :)

Ricoh 2nd April 2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 477191)
A fascinating collection of images, thank you.

He liked his subway cars. :)

What a photographer he was! Unfortunately he's off the radar for too many photographers - clearly discernible when you look at contemporary art.

pdk42 2nd April 2019 11:52 AM

The guy was a genius - he should have pursued a career in photography! :)

An amazing collection for sure. I love the one with the rollerskating chimp. Very non PC in species superiority way, but amusing nonetheless.

benvendetta 2nd April 2019 08:40 PM

There are indeed some wonderful images in that collection.

Internaut 4th April 2019 06:42 AM

Two take aways from that:

1. They weren't as obsessed with super critical focus back then.
2. The man had a real sense of dimension. I guess that's partly down to the format (guessing medium format film), but where there is a defined subject he wants you to focus on, that subject pops out of the photo nicely.

Phill D 4th April 2019 07:17 AM

Great link Steve I really enjoyed looking through them, quite inspiring.

Naughty Nigel 4th April 2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 477425)
Two take aways from that:

1. They weren't as obsessed with super critical focus back then.
2. The man had a real sense of dimension. I guess that's partly down to the format (guessing medium format film), but where there is a defined subject he wants you to focus on, that subject pops out of the photo nicely.

I have just taken another look. I am sure that most were taken on MF film but there are one or two which stand out to me as probably having been taken on 35 mm.

Films were also slower, and more grainy in the 1940's which may explain the camera shake in poorly lit areas.

Ricoh 4th April 2019 08:12 AM

'Super critical focus' is not important in a photograph.
I read too many comments made by photographers commenting on the photographs made by others highlighting how sharp the image is, or how good the new zoom lens is, and about the DR of the sensor in HDDDDR mode, but rarely a comment about the content of the image. How strange!

Naughty Nigel 4th April 2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 477437)
'Super critical focus' is not important in a photograph.
I read too many comments made by photographers commenting on the photographs made by others highlighting how sharp the image is, or how good the new zoom lens is, and about the DR of the sensor in HDDDDR mode, but rarely a comment about the content of the image. How strange!

I tend to agree. We can thank digital photography, multi-billion pixel cameras, the 'so called IS' and mega-fast auto-focusing systems for that.

Whilst modern cameras are undoubtedly amazing machines I cannot help but feel that we have lost sight of what photography is all about.

Ricoh 4th April 2019 08:24 AM

Bolting an old pre-war len on the front of the multi-billion pixel camera can sort that. It takes away the sharp edges and irritating detail.