Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Accessory talk (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help - Portable background (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24977)

sponner 3rd January 2013 09:20 AM

Help - Portable background

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for a portable background system for portraits?

I am looking at the lastolite and photsel pop ups with black and white trains atm.

TIA

Sponner

wanderer 3rd January 2013 03:23 PM

Re: Help - Portable background

Personally I use either a black piece of material (2x2M) or a double bed white sheet. My camera club has, amongst others, an orangish camouflage back drop which is nice once and then all too obvious. At work we use roll up backdrops, usually white or grey, occasionally black. Most useful items, gaffer tape and bulldog clips. Meaning to treat myself to a frame (2 uprights and a bar) for fixing the backdrop to.

f2uk 3rd January 2013 04:45 PM

Personally:

2 x light stand from amazon 8 ish each
1 x black 1.8x2.8 backdrop again 8ish
1 x white 1.8x2.8 backdrop again 8ish
1 x old extendible clothes rail that a friend was throwing out 0

drilled out the rail so that it slotted over the end of the light stands, nut on top to hold in place.

1 x extendible width and height backdrop frame :)

backdrops worked out at about 4 each as the company fulfilled the order twice by mistake ;)

Imageryone 3rd January 2013 06:10 PM

2 x Plasterers ceiling supports 8-15 from good toolshops.
I x Fibreglass fishing pole ( ex scrapyard )
Plastic clips to hold material.
Various pattern backdrops all from Charity shops and edged by other half.

JKW 3rd February 2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sponner (Post 207093)
Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for a portable background system for portraits?

I am looking at the lastolite and photsel pop ups with black and white trains atm.

TIA

Sponner

Hi I've used various sizes of Lasto-lites over the years, mostly for bounce as opposed to backgrounds. They are very good, one piece of advice though, if you go for a larger one, find a remote place where nobody can see you and practice folding it back down and putting it in the bag. There is a knack to it and if you haven't mastered it it can create hours of fun for onlookers.

Cheers John.

gregles 3rd February 2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKW (Post 212512)
one piece of advice though, if you go for a larger one, find a remote place where nobody can see you and practice folding it back down and putting it in the bag. There is a knack to it and if you haven't mastered it it can create hours of fun for onlookers.

Cheers John.

Standing joke in our house:D:D

They all come and watch me wrestling with the bugger:o:o And yet some days it is soooooooo easy*yes