Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   EM-1 Third Party Batteries (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42813)

angelpaaul 14th August 2016 05:08 PM

EM-1 Third Party Batteries

Hi Guys, just wondering which aftermarket batteries you use in your EM-1. Spotted one called Ex-Pro on Amazon. They do a 1220mAh and a 1400mAh version. Anyone ever tried them?

It's a confusing market out there, any help would be appreciated.

Howi 14th August 2016 06:09 PM

Re: EM-1 Third Party Batteries

The ex pro are great batteries, you should have no problem with them.
I have one for the m10 :-)

peak4 14th August 2016 06:24 PM

I've a number of ex-pro batteries, and chargers as well.
No issues with them so far, I'm pleased to say.

angelpaaul 14th August 2016 07:01 PM

That's good news, they're a lot cheaper than the originals. One more thing, will they need their own charger or will the Olympus original do?

Wee man 14th August 2016 07:55 PM

I use them also I bought their double charger as well it means I can charge a number at once Olympus batteries can be charged on it as well.

Wee Man

Graham from Wirral 14th August 2016 08:26 PM

I have 4 Ex-pro white batteries (1220 mAh) for my EM1. They charge in the Olympus charger and are much cheaper than the originals.

The downside is they don't last as long, but the way I look at it, I don't mind carrying a couple of extra spare batteries around with me if they are that price - and I've never run out of power, even with quite heavy use.

What I can't figure out is why Olympus (and Panasonic and the others are the same) overprice their originals so much.

iso 14th August 2016 08:34 PM

I have an M5 II and the first thing I did was to get a 2nd battery from EX-Pro. Bit like lens hoods and filters. As Graham said, sad that OEM's try to scare you into thinking only their Brand is safe to use. AND DON'T ASK ME ABOUT INK CARTRIDGES:mad:

angelpaaul 14th August 2016 08:35 PM

One charger does all and two at a time, that's brilliant.

Many thanks for the info Howi, Bill and Ed.

As usual, always someone here to help :-)

angelpaaul 14th August 2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 392477)
AND DON'T ASK ME ABOUT INK CARTRIDGES:mad:

That was my next question :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham from Wirral (Post 392475)
What I can't figure out is why Olympus (and Panasonic and the others are the same) overprice their originals so much.

Because they can :mad:

Wee man 14th August 2016 08:57 PM

Go on INK CARTRIDGES?

Wee Man

angelpaaul 14th August 2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee man (Post 392481)
Go on INK CARTRIDGES?

Wee Man

Yes, come on ISO, dish the dirt *yes

iso 15th August 2016 05:43 PM

Well I can't find a cheap one that will fit that flippy lidded slot thing on the bottom of my M5 ll :confused:

peak4 16th August 2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 392515)
Well I can't find a cheap one that will fit that flippy lidded slot thing on the bottom of my M5 ll :confused:

Well I'm struggling to quite get the gist of this one. If you're after a battery for the E-M5 II, isn't it a BLN-1, the same as the E-M1 and the E-M5 I ?
If so, then have a look HERE. or HERE for the white version.

Howi 16th August 2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 392515)

You need to take it to a fire station, firefighters are renoun for making anything fit anywhere, whether it was designed to fit or not.

jima 16th August 2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peak4 (Post 392531)
Well I'm struggling to quite get the gist of this one. If you're after a battery for the E-M5 II, isn't it a BLN-1, the same as the E-M1 and the E-M5 I ?
If so, then have a look HERE. or HERE for the white version.

Whatever you do don't consider anything other than the white version. It barely manages to reach 1000mAh despite its label rating but the grey one is worse. My grey samples only ever managed to struggle to just over 900mAh. The bigger issue is that many digital cameras of our type (including Olympus) don't tolerate low volts well and these droop terribly in the later stages of discharge so starting out with 20%+ less capacity (and 0.7 volts less even when fully charged) is a real disadvantage. On the other hand the Olympus original, using 7 volts as a benchmark can last for 105 minutes more of continuous discharge. Consider what extra that might be in normal usage. The EX-Pro's (Pro - that's a laugh) are cheap though, so buy lots and don't expect too much in terms of reliability or longevity and you'll do fine. Me - I only use them as test packs - they never, ever get in the EM1.