Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Flippin Facebook (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49553)

Dewi9 9th January 2019 07:47 PM

Flippin Facebook

Is it me or is facebook playing silly so and so's ?

I open my facebook page and click on the first news item, read it and exit - and the page has changed. The news has been shuffled so it is completely different to what was before.

So I open the next story, exactly the same thing happens. It is doing my head in, honestly.

Anyone know what is going on ?

David

Otto 9th January 2019 09:56 PM

Re: Flippin Facebook

No, but it's been broken on and off for some time. So has Messenger. Sometimes my "Top stories" and "most recent" news feeds are identical, and even my own (fairly rare) posts disappear. Today a friend showed as on line on the desktop but "active one day ago" on the phone app. It's a mess.

And it's a nuisance because I use FB to stay abreast of events and things I want to know about. It saves looking up all the individual websites of local organisations etc.

Internaut 9th January 2019 11:09 PM

It’s called Facebook Knows Best*. And because Facebook Knows Best**, it is best placed to decide what should appear in your news feed and when, for your own good, it should pull the rug from under your feet.

* Well either that or Zuckerberg is a mendacious **at.

** If only. It doesn’t.

Dewi9 11th January 2019 12:12 AM

Thanks, Internaut, all is clear now. FB is really just a random newsfeed generator ...

David

Darkroom 11th January 2019 09:17 AM

There is a very simple solution anyone experiencing problems with Facebook can use and if this was applied by all users, the world would be a better place.......

Delete your account !

Darkroom

Otto 11th January 2019 09:36 AM

While you're entitled to your opinion Darkroom some of us find Facebook very useful. Were that not the case I'm sure it would have far fewer users than it does. It can be very annoying at times, especially when it malfunctions as it seems to have been doing recently, but the ability to get real-time updates from local community organisations, information on weather and road conditions and warnings of ne'er-do-wells in the locality is valuable. It also helped when my cats went missing as people spread the news and reported sightings. So I'm not entirely sure the world would be a better place without FB although there's no doubt there's a lot of rubbish on it, you just have to be selective.

Otto 12th January 2019 01:03 PM

Just an example for the non-believers, two days ago suspicious activity was spotted and locals posted that on FB. Within 24 hours the ne'er-do-wells were hounded out of the area. Not sure if they were caught but they didn't get away with anything:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/NorthYor...Updates/posts/

You see, FB is not just people posting what they had for breakfast!

Gate Keeper 12th January 2019 02:24 PM

243 people on FB liked my Elephant sunset and 89 liked the Lion shot within 24 hours of posting. It was a positive outcome and encouraging.

090657 12th January 2019 03:02 PM

I agree with Otto. Annoying at times for sure but FB helps to alert/remind me of various events via the groups to which I subscribe/follow. Really useful.

Tim

Darkroom 12th January 2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

A Facebook crime every 40 minutes: From killings to grooming as 12,300 cases are linked to the site.
Quote:

Earlier this year, the Daily Mail revealed hundreds of criminals have been using the site to taunt their victims from behind bars.
Quote:

Prison authorities found 350 inmates posting on Facebook in the past two years, using banned mobile phones smuggled into jails. Some continued to run their criminal empires from behind bars using the site.
Obviously a well monitored socially responsible App. :rolleyes:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nked-site.html

Darkroom

Otto 12th January 2019 06:30 PM

Don’t shoot the messenger. Criminals will exploit any means of communication.

Darkroom 12th January 2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 467996)
Don’t shoot the messenger. Criminals will exploit any means of communication.

Maybe Facebook should use more of it's $140 billion estimated worth to develop better technology that prevents most of the criminal activities. The same can be said of Twitter, Amazon and Ebay and many other online companies who's only concern is making maximum profit at the expense of the more unfortunate users and the general public.

Facebook and Twitter have now become an essential part of everyday life for the vast majority of people throughout the world. Some even report crimes and disasters by posting on social media rather than calling the police or other appropriate authorities. A prime example of a totally addicted idiotic social media user is of course Mr. Trump who would probably announce he'd declared war and launched a missile attack via Twitter.

I know I'm in the minority on here by not extolling the virtues of social media but then I'm also not a hypocrite either and never use it ..... ( unless you consider this forum to be a form of social media in which case I'm obviously guilty. ) *yes

Darkroom

wornish 12th January 2019 10:39 PM

Trouble is Darkroom do you really think they will change ?

Darkroom 12th January 2019 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wornish (Post 468010)
Trouble is Darkroom do you really think they will change ?

I'm certain they won't change Dave, in fact I'm convinced we are very willingly and rapidly heading towards a society where every single thing we do is controlled and monitored by some form of online technology with all that implies.

It's already been suggested future terror attacks will not be aimed at people but will be cyber based attacks on the infrastructure controlling our lives and will inflict total chaos. The direction we seem to be heading, with such total reliance on internet based technology, will only serve to make the effects of any such attacks all the more devastating for all of us.

Meanwhile we seem happy to welcome, and use such technology while we make more billionaires out of those individuals who provide it.

Darkroom

MJ224 13th January 2019 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkroom (Post 468006)
..... ( unless you consider this forum to be a form of social media in which case I'm obviously guilty. ) *yes

Darkroom

It is.....:)

Never used FB tho' :(