Introduction to affordable IR Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introduction to affordable IR Photography

Not a bad start, John. Of course you picked the wrong time of year to start doing this as leaves on the trees are a great subject for IR. I can see that the branches were moving around during the exposure too.

Raring to see more!

Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

Comment

John

I'd check, but I think the G1 may be more sensitive than the E-3 for IR, so that may work even better (plus contrast AF is great for IR photography!)

Andy
      Olympus E-30, E-M1 mk1&2 ZD 7-14 f4, PL 25 f1.4D
      mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 45 f1.8, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro, 300 f4 Pro
      MC-14, HLD-7, HLD-9
      Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)

Comment

Originally posted by oly_om View Post
        John

I'd check, but I think the G1 may be more sensitive than the E-3 for IR, so that may work even better (plus contrast AF is great for IR photography!)

Andy
        Good point, Andy, but I was itching to use that new lens!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Filter is here will go out tommorrow weather permitting. Need next installment to know what to do once I have images in camera. How do I process them?

Wee Man
          Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

This excellent thread has gone a bit quiet so I hope you don't mind if I post a couple of non Oly pics from today. The first is the straight shot, f8 at 1/3000 I think. the next is the IR through a 760nm filter. 1/45 at f4 (may have been f2.8). Both pictures have simply been converted to jpg from DNG and changed to greyscale, then downsized and exported in from Lightroom. No other tweaking involved.

The first thing I notice is how much less sharp the IR picture is. I doubt if the camera shake was a factor as all the IR pics are similar and the lens is certainly not underperfoming at f2.8 so is the poorer quality implicit in using IR or down to the filter, just a cheap chinese ebay purchase.

Secondly, the topic doesn't seem to suit IR too well, what are the factors in choosing a good subject for IR?

It's odd that I have a seagull in about the same place on each picture, bit blurred on the IR version due to the slower shutter speed.

Comment

Fascinating, IR filter on Santa's list. Thank you for some food for thought.
              Taken up photography so I can legally shoot people and chop off thier heads!

Comment

i was just about to ask a question about Infrared Filter and this thread has answered just about all of my questions

cheers guys

Chris
                Chris

Comment

Working...
                X