Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Introduction to affordable IR Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introduction to affordable IR Photography

John, Perhaps it would be easier to tell us what does`nt work in IR photography rather than what does. This would at least make our learning curve quicker!

Comment

Originally posted by Chillimonster View Post
      Hi John.

I think IR is one of those areas that is more about the post processing thasn the capture of the image as the capture is dependant on so many variables (camera / lens / filter etc). In fact i've found my best images have come from compacts as the IR pass filters in P&S are a lot weaker (this can be confirmed by pointing a standard TV type remote control into the lens and pressing a button - you should see the ir emmiter lighting up. Trying this on a DSLR will show a dimmer image.)

The PP is where an IR image comes to life and this is the bit i'm interested in, and struggle with.

Here's a few of mine (taken with Canon P&S's)

I've not tried my latest 'weapon' (GF1 m4/3rds) but i aim to do some tests ASAP to see if it is suitable.
      These are just plain WEIRD!
      Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

:lol:

I Know, but i kinda like them in a surreal way.

They work quite well in B&W too

Comment

It is the first one, with the people in that is the strangeist.
          They look 'unhuman' probably because of their whiteness!
          Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
            It is the first one, with the people in that is the strangeist.
            They look 'unhuman' probably because of their whiteness!
            Strangely enough, it is the first one that I really like. I've just had a quick play and it looks superb as a B&W conversion.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              Strangely enough, it is the first one that I really like. I've just had a quick play and it looks superb as a B&W conversion.
              Feel free to post it up

I have a simple B&W conversion i did when i first took it before i really got into B&W's, but i only have the colour version online.

Comment

Feel free to post it up

I have a simple B&W conversion i did when i first took it before i really got into B&W's, but i only have the colour version online.
                Well, I'm no B&W expert and I'm sure there are others here who could do a far better job, but here's a quickie I did earlier.

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I liked that image too John/Chris. Here's my attempt... as usual it's a 'pushing the limits' edit probably overdone, but hey, it's a style I quite like...

John

Comment

by way of example, these are with a converted Fuji S20 and are hand held...look forward to getting the 620 and 11-22 out with the IR filter...can you see much in live view?, assume you need a tripod...how does focussing work?

chris
                    shetland

Comment

Het Chris, I'm impressed with what you and the Fuji have achieved together, nice work!

I'm sure John (MusicMan) will cover all the points you raise in his tutorial.
                      John

Comment

Hey Chris, I'm impressed with what you and the Fuji have achieved together, nice work!

I'm sure John (MusicMan) will cover all the points you raise in his tutorial.
                        John

Comment

John,

Your conversion of Chris's (Chillimonster's) shot is sooooo much better than mine, I'm almost embarassed to have posted it.

That's why you're doing this tutorial and not me!

Let us know how you processed it (Please!)
                          John

Comment

Lovely conversion John, and very much in my style

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                              John,

Your conversion of Chris's (Chillimonster's) shot is sooooo much better than mine, I'm almost embarassed to have posted it.

That's why you're doing this tutorial and not me!

Let us know how you processed it (Please!)
                              Will do John, thanks for the comments.

Lovely conversion John, and very much in my style
                              Cheers Chris, I must admit I am starting to get to grips with the 'push to the extreme' slider in Lightroom.

I will admit here though, that because the image I worked from was a jpg, there was a lot of noise in it upon conversion from IR to BW, and LR's noise reduction is yet to match that of a rich NR reduction tool such as Neat Image or Noise Ninja et al. So I did use my Neat Image Photoshop plug-in to reduce the noise, but that was it... nothing else, just Lightroom for the PP and CS3 for the noise reduction.

I can't show the history of what I did just now as I have tied LR up doing a huge move of files to a new 1TB external drive. I'll update later...
                              John

Comment

IR pictures are rather magical aren't they, they are surreal too.

I wonder if it's how some animals see the world?

Looking forward to learning how you achieve these results, then I can have a go.
                                - my pictures -

Comment

Working...
                                X