Trying to explain Focal Length, Field of View and Crop x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying to explain Focal Length, Field of View and Crop x2

Matt, it was used by Olympus, as a means of potential buyers of 4/3rds understanding what they were getting

All I knew of 4/3rds was that "each lens was effectively double the length" ... that was until ...

on here 'twas explained to me!

Why do we say a 10 bob note = 50p it just promotes acceptability and an understanding of what your getting !
    [I].
    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by mlinehan View Post
      Why do fourthirds users even bother to try and make a comparison to 35mm cameras
      There is supposed to be an argument that we have all owned 35mm film cameras in the past. If I'm told the Nikozumi EW compact with its 4.5mm wide angle is "a 24mm equivalent" then I can remember my old film days and imagine how wide that would be. So the theory is the 35mm film makes a common currency we can all understand.

However, these eternal "35mm equivalent" descriptions only work if you are as old as me and actually do remember the usual trio of 28/50/135mm lenses and their relative magnifications

As to the "Full Frame" elitism that I see growing all the time, well, don't get me started ... If your Canikon full frame is so much better, why didn't you go all the way and buy a medium format with a digital back?

Pete

PS. I'm off to Avebury with my Crop Camera .. Crop, I said crop....
      Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
        Pete

PS. I'm off to Avebury with my Crop Camera .. Crop, I said crop....
        Pete, its a bit early for Crop Circle shots - no wheat 'ere ...

although I did see a field of yellow Rape yesterday
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

I think the technical explanations here have been excellent. I agree that comparisons with 35mm should only give you an idea of what you'll see in shot. I think it's pretty pointless to try to work out relative values with other dSLRs with different pixel count, sensor size and firmware deployed. What I would criticise Olympus for is sticking a label on the 70-300mm saying it's the equivalent of 140-600mm on 35mm without qualifying the statement as being purely the available part of the image seen.
          Jamie

Comment

I, for one am not all bothered about comparisons to the "full-frame" 35mm film standard. A lot of lenses were made for that format, and these are all adaptable to MFT. So, it makes good sense to compare your field of view, so you know what you are getting when looking through the viewfinder, or looking at the resulting image.

If you're just starting out in photography and don't care about other formats then... you don't need to care. But there are so many sensor and film sizes that having some basis of comparison between them makes good sense for those who do care.

Comment

Working...
            X