Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Street Photography by Nick Turpin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Photography by Nick Turpin

This video maybe of interest to any anyone with an interest in street photography, eg Dr Mark F.
    https://petapixel.com/2019/03/29/loo...eid=2a426fcff6
    Steve

on flickr

Re: Street Photography by Nick Turpin

But he's shooting on DIGITAL and in COLOUR!

Thanks for posting, Steve, it's interesting to see his thought process through the viewfinder and hear his commentary of what he is looking for. It looks like he got some great pictures combining people with shadows outside the Bank of England.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
      But he's shooting on DIGITAL and in COLOUR!

Thanks for posting, Steve, it's interesting to see his thought process through the viewfinder and hear his commentary of what he is looking for. It looks like he got some great pictures combining people with shadows outside the Bank of England.
      Lol, yes!

Without doubt, digital is the only practical camera for his style of work; anyone doing likewise with film would be bankrupt very quickly indeed.

When I was doing street-work I restricted myself to single shots, but I've learnt something today and maybe I'm encouraged to try again. I've tried other genres but lately I'm becoming bored of shooting 'things'. Images of things are ceasing to interest me. One thing I do know is that I will not be making any further camera or lens purchases.
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

This video's really good, Steve. Many thanks for posting it. I'm going to post it on our club's street photography FB Group, since I know a lot of people there will find it useful.

The originality is in his use of POV video on his actual camera, with a commentary: modern street cameras are perfect for this sort of teaching aid, but I've never seen anyone use it like this and so well before.

I've got some personal comments:

This is a particular style of street - it's basically the 'field' technique, promoted by people like Alex Webb and Joel Meyerowitz, where you go for complex arrangements of figures, shapes, textures and light, and where there's a lot of what's trendily called 'layering' of depth in the image. In other words there are often multiple 'subjects' and the resulting images don't do well in many traditional UK camera club judge's eyes. Nothing wrong with the images artistically, of course, and it's a compositional style widely used by many of the grand masters of western art, but club photography has only a little to do with 'art' and only in a narrow area

This style links to his technical choices. Mostly he's at f7.1 on his crop-sensor Fuji to avoid diffraction while giving sufficient depth of field so all the layers are in focus - we'd be at f5 on m4/3, and f9 on FF. He's mainly at shutter speeds above 1/250th to get reasonably sharp images of passers-by, and he mostly leaves it at ASA3200 - I suspect some traditional photographers may find that high, but today's sensors of any size are perfectly happy with that for any use on social media, and you can win club PDI competitions with m4/3 at that speed and print competition images at least to A4 size (I'd say 16 x 20 on m4/3 is reliable for that if you expose and process properly).

A touch of grain is vastly better than a soft image (which is useless, unless it's so soft that it becomes art). I use auto-ISO for street on the E-M1ii up to ASA6400 in average lighting conditions, with minimum shutter speed normally 1/320. I only switch to a set ISO when it's really dark and the subject is reasonably static and you can get away with a lower ISO than 6400.

He kept at wide aperture for the one shot when I'd say subject isolation by narrowing the depth of field would have produced a much better result (the one of the girl in her crowd of friends by the Thames wall). 'Field' shots have become very trendy, while focussing on 'the face in the crowd' isn't much done at the moment (although go to the Diane Arbus exhibition at the Hayward Gallery at the moment if you want to see some lovely uses of that technique). I do it a lot, and moving a 9-point focus cluster with a finger on the Olympus rear screen I find a perfect way to do it.

He seemed to use manual most/all of the time, which I'd say was unnecessarily hair-shirt these days as long as you know how to exploit modern AF and exposure systems properly. For example, if he'd used aperture priority with auto-ISO for that image of the girls he'd only have needed to spin the aperture dial to get the desired depth of field, and he could then have concentrated on composition and the decisive moment while the camera dealt with the rest.

I don't understand why he kept re-auto-focusing when at f7.1 on that guy in the foreground of the first set-up. Surely you'd SAF once and then just concentrate on composition and timing? Anyone guess why?

Great illustrations of his hunting of good light.

I'll keep an eye on his feed for some more of these.
        Regards,
        Mark

------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

I found your commentary helpful, Mark, and interesting to have insight into how another responds to the video and techniques for shooting 'street'.

My first recollection of layering, that you refer to, was whilst listening to Joel Meyerowitz talking about 'the frame' and how the disparate 'actors' unknown to each other interact within the photographers frame. Looking for these transitory interactions demands good 'vision' that can only be acquired by reading (viz looking at photo books using the style mentioned) then going out and practising. And as much as hate saying this the most appropriate camera for the work in hand is an automatic, allowing the photographer to concentrate on the job in hand and forget about the controls. Although Matt Stuart is a seasoned practitioner using a Leica MP film camera using the zone system at f8 or f11 where possible, so this is an alternative (I use the M240 and M6 likewise).

I'm sure you've 'studied' the work of the collective membership of 'In Public', if not I'd recommend heading to Nick's website and ordering a copy '10 years of in-public' .

Another recommendation is 'All That Life Can Afford' by the talented Matt Stuart (recently elected to Magnum I believe).
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Regards,
            Mark

------------------------------
            http://www.microcontrast.com
            Too much Oly gear.
            Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
            Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Open question: With the rise in knife crime and lately a seemingly random stabbing of four individuals 'stabbed in the back, just for the hell of it' is it safe on the street taking pictures of strangers, not just in London but in other cities too!
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

I think stabbings, because of our revulsion to grisliness, attract more fear than they deserve. they're comparatively rare but get straight into the headlines. My guess is that when doing street / urban photography we're at much greater risk from vehicles.

There's a strand of academic research concerning the differences between perceived risk and actual risk, revealing many fallacies which lead to poor perceptions of risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                  Open question: With the rise in knife crime and lately a seemingly random stabbing of four individuals 'stabbed in the back, just for the hell of it' is it safe on the street taking pictures of strangers, not just in London but in other cities too!
                  I did a street photography day (sponsored by panasonic) a while back and we discussed this at length

The summary was that reports of photographers being assaulted doing such were incredibly rare and the likelihood of any issues was very minor in the places that most of us would be - none of us had any issues other than people being interested in what we were doing and liking to look at the pictures

Clearly if you decide to take pictures inside a riot you need to take additional care

Regards
                  Andy
                  My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                  4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                  m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                  FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                  The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                  http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                  http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                  https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                  http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

I used to take street photographs and nothing else interested me, but stopped almost two years ago. In hindsight I suppose I was a little cavalier with my approach using a moderate wide angle within a few arm's lengths of the individuals. I had some bad experiences and I suppose I asked for it in a way.
                    However, having taken still life architecture etc I'm beginning to get seriously bored and feel the need to get back on the street. I've been on a few photo walks, some as paid tuition in a group, and there's always a sense of bravado hunting in a pack.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

I don't generally do street at all, and may never. But yesterday on a whim I was playing around with a rather candid approach, in which my camera was on a strap around my neck *and my left shoulder*, supported in the crook of my left elbow and pointing out to my left side, which I was operating from OIShare on my phone. I was facing at right angles to the lens but seeing on my phone screen the image in the direction the lens was pointing.

Not sure I'd actually use this approach to take candid photos as it seems a bit sneaky for my personal sensibilities (I'm not judging others), but it worked okay and is quite discreet.

Comment

Many use the sneaky approach, but if caught being so I think the response can be worse that being open and honest.
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

The following article by Simon King might be interesting to others. He refers to 'Light-Architecture' now popular with many, and generally non confrontational; if asked you can truefully say you were photographing the architecture and the way it interacts with the light.
                          https://petapixel.com/2019/04/01/is-...eid=2a426fcff6
                          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Nice article.

I've sometimes taken this sort of approach but from the starting point of architectural photography; that is I identify the building I want, and the viewpoint, and the time of day for the light and shadows to fall well, and then I take the image. And then I think something like: "This would be better if a person appeared at the top of the stairs where all the lines lead - preferably someone in bright red." Age, gender, character etc irrelevant; just someone to humanise the shot and to balance the frame. Sometimes they do appear; sometimes not. I think of that as architectural photography with a person - perhaps only tiny in the frame and not identifiable. as I understand the term , street photography tends to focus on human interactions, and have figures filling quite a lot of the frame, and attempts to show something of their character, style or activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                              Many use the sneaky approach, but if caught being so I think the response can be worse that being open and honest.
                              My view exactly and when I was shooting street I abandoned the "sneaky" technique for the direct approach for this very reason. That's not to say I didn't try to get the shot as quickly and unobtrusively as possible and sometime I bottled it and missed the shot completely. Yet on other occasions I would get "in the zone" and become so preoccupied with the picture that I lost my natural inhibitions.
                              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Working...
                              X