Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Street Photography by Nick Turpin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Street Photography by Nick Turpin

I watched the Turpin video and so wish that I hadn’t wasted my time. Where was the mood of the street? There we had a plain hoarding, the Tower and a guy recumbent looking at his smart phone. I have to say that I have never understood the attention given to Turpin’s work and this video just entrenched my opinion. Why not instead look at the work of Helen Levett where you will find energy and wonder as portrayed by a consummate street photographer?

There is much more that I could add but having wasted 20 or so minutes of my life on that pap, I’m not inclined to spend any more time decrying that video, simply awful.

David
    The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

I watched it and quite enjoyed it, even though street isn't my thing.

Next day I was wandering round town taking my normal fare of buildings and architectural details, and look what I did by mistake! :-) (I'm not planning to give up the day job ...)

Comment

Better than anything Turpin was likely to get from his riverside location Rob.

Maybe you’ll catch the bug by taking a peek here:

https://www.stevesmithphotographer.com

I’ve met Steve a couple of times and recently he came to our camera club. He is a master Street and documentary photographer and the quality of his prints is superb. Enjoy!

Also one for Steve Ricoh

David
        The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
            I watched it and quite enjoyed it, even though street isn't my thing.

Next day I was wandering round town taking my normal fare of buildings and architectural details, and look what I did by mistake! :-) (I'm not planning to give up the day job ...)

Just did a quick iPad crop by zooming in and I think it looks better without the railings...
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
              Thanks for bringing this guys work to my attention; he's very good. I found it interesting too why he's returned to film - much like the reasons I also returned to film (although I do 50:50 approx, 50% digital 50% film).
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Why do you say 'unbecoming'? The Fuji is close to being pure with almost direct control of the triangular exposure variables. If I was starting today, with the knowledge I have acquired, I'd choose Fuji without a doubt.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                  Why do you say 'unbecoming'? The Fuji is close to being pure with almost direct control of the triangular exposure variables. If I was starting today, with the knowledge I have acquired, I'd choose Fuji without a doubt.
                  Maybe the wrong word.. really meant inconspicuous
                  Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                    Maybe the wrong word.. really meant inconspicuous
                    Black is the least conspicuous of course, but it's irritating having brand names emblazoned on the front of cameras, Olympus, FujiFilm, LUMIX, etc. Apart from using electricians' tape the alternative is to choose a camera without a logo, eg the Leica MP or MA.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Black is the least conspicuous of course, but it's irritating having brand names emblazoned on the front of cameras, Olympus, FujiFilm, LUMIX, etc. Apart from using electricians' tape the alternative is to choose a camera without a logo, eg the Leica MP or MA.

Comment

Just did a quick iPad crop by zooming in and I think it looks better without the railings...
                        I agree, but they are easily cropped. Nice one!
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I found it useful to see how he operates, but I thought his shoot at the Bank of England was better than Tower Bridge.
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Steve

on flickr

Comment

Thanks. I'm still something of a novice and getting my eye in. And for street photos (if that's what this is) a complete novice. Also this is completely free from post processing except automatic RAW conversion (DXO default) and slight cropping. (I'm guessing it would be inappropriate to the genre to declutter distracting items out of the background, such as the air conditioning unit and two lights above and beyond the revolving door ...)

P.S. I've reposted this on the "suggested improvements" board so as to avoid derailing this thread further.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
                                Thanks David, his site is certainly worth a visit.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X