Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Using Manual "Retro" lenses on micro4/3rds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Manual "Retro" lenses on micro4/3rds.

Hi,
    Does anyone have any useful links, hits, tips or set up advice for using older fully manual lenses on Oly bodies ?
    What retro lenses should I look out for and cost. I realise I will need to buy a suitable adapter to do this.
    Does anyone use older, fully manual lenses, or even 3rd party new ones , Samyang etc.
    Thanks in anticipation of any / all replies.

Re: Using Manual "Retro" lenses on micro4/3rds.

I've still got a dozen or so OM and OM fit manual focus primes plus 3 Samyangs. For the past couple of years they've got more use than my HG and SHG glass. One of my favourite at the moment is a Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 from the mid '70s.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by 1948Kustom View Post
      Hi,
      Does anyone have any useful links, hits, tips or set up advice for using older fully manual lenses on Oly bodies ?
      What retro lenses should I look out for and cost. I realise I will need to buy a suitable adapter to do this.
      Does anyone use older, fully manual lenses, or even 3rd party new ones , Samyang etc.
      Thanks in anticipation of any / all replies.
      What focal lengths are you interested in?

I use a manual Tokina 300 mm f/2.8 with my E-M1 and E-M5 MK2 occasionally.
      It's a Canon FD mount so I use an FD to micro4/3rds adapter.
      Shown here with my old gripped E-M5.
      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
      Capture One Pro
      My flickr

Comment

I use OM lenses as well as M 42 and Nikon AIS
        Go search the charity shops , find a lens and then get an adapter
        Then enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
        chris
        shetland

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Primes probably, but a tele or long lens at the right price would be useful. Next question, how best to set up my EM-10 to shoot with a manual lens ?
          Last edited by 1948Kustom; 10th April 2016, 08:19 PM. Reason: More info to add.

Comment

You can use manual or aperture priority exposure. I use aperture priority all the time. If you're looking at longer lenses the male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in my gallery was taken with my 30+ year old OM 300mm. The tent caterpillars were taken with my 35 year old Tamron 135mm.
            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

Comment

Don't forget to set IS to the focal length. You might want to add magnify and peaking to buttons to assist with manual focus.
                    Andy
                    bengeo.com

Comment

Thanks for this info Andy. Hope to have a play sometime later today with my 'new' lens.

Comment

thephotographersblock.wordpress.com

Comment

I've used c-mount, PK, M42, OM, T2, & Sony A lenses, with plain, tiltable, focal reducing & macro extending adapters (c-mount & Sony A are limited to plain adapters)
                          Excluding playing with my telescopes (which get to extreme focal lengths & tiny effective apertures) I've have tried focal lengths between 10mm & 600mm.

The most difficult has definitely been the shorter focal lengths, where the adapter size/alignment is particularly critical. I've not been happy with any of the shots I've managed with 10mm lenses
                          Mind you 600mm is pretty much impossible to handhold (due to minute FOV, it is after all a 1200mm equivalent). Surprisingly with the focal reducer it is manageable with a steady hand & good position. (I've managed the moon handheld!)

I find it quite fun to experiment with adapted lenses, especially where it allows settings I can't get to with my native lenses.

If your not just using lenses you already have, make sure you get lenses with aperture rings! Lenses designed to be controlled by the camera don't adapt so well. I guess the same can be said for focusing, electronic focusing lenses aren't easy to use!

I'd also recommend sticking to focal lengths of about 25mm and longer. Shorter focal length c-mounts rarely if ever give enough coverage to increase the FOV further & issues with adapters become a headache...
                          Mike
                          Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                          Flickr

Comment

Hi Jon,
                            Thanks for your info and I would have been interested in your lens had I not just have bought a 50mm f1.8
                            Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X