Infrared false colour - some processing techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial Infrared false colour - some processing techniques

you. This is what another one that does the same thing from Kolari Vision; download and install as an Action in PS for repeat use. One click in the Actions panel will then swap your red/blue channels for you.

Once cyans are sorted, you can then play with the other colour hues. I find that on this particular filter only the reds really have any effect, so I tend to stick to adjusting just that. You can see the effects by taking the red hues up and down the scale:

Stages of blending

Save As a final blended version when happy.

Channel swapped and opened in Viveza

After some patient work, final colour adjusted image

Another example: Processed for colour, then converted to B&W and selected tree-colour-only brought back in Silver Efex Pro.

Harefield Churchyard by mmrainey_photographymy Infrared album on Flickr
    Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Re: Infrared false colour - some processing techniques

Hi there Margaret!

Many thanks for showing us your methods, and for the important info about ps elements not having channel swap capability - I thought it was just me that couldn't find it! I will have to find out if there is a free image editor which can channel swap on a tiff file before I bring it into elements for a final tinker. Right now I'm just waiting for some foliage on the trees and some sun in the sky!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by MargaretR View Post
      Having myself tried to find an Expert to learn from, I don’t think they exist!
      Yes they do - you're 'It'!

;^)

Great tutorial and images. I'm tempted to give it a try.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
        Hi there Margaret!

Many thanks for showing us your methods, and for the important info about ps elements not having channel swap capability - I thought it was just me that couldn't find it! I will have to find out if there is a free image editor which can channel swap on a tiff file before I bring it into elements for a final tinker. Right now I'm just waiting for some foliage on the trees and some sun in the sky!

Cheers,

Ralph.
        Hi Ralph - I can't speak first hand, but there's apparently some kind of plug-in for Elements that then allows channel swapping. See here for some Elements Plus information.

May be worth a look
        Margaret

Comment

An EXCELLENT tutorial - Many thanks for all the time and effort that you have put into this.
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Margaret this is the internet, it's FULL off experts!
            Many are self proclaimed with little or no knowledge of the subject which does make it harder to find the good ones.

I personally do very limited processing on my IR shots, reading your comprehensive tips might get me doing a bit more!

There are some tips on the latest Infra red forum http://global-infrared.freeforums.net/, and I think I've seen some by InfraEdd, Kolari-vision, lifepixel... too. But I don't think any are as comprehensive as yours.

Mike
            Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
            Flickr

Comment

Thanks so much for this, Margaret. I've much studying to do, and am very grateful for your work and sharing of what you've learned.
              http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Originally posted by Petrochemist View Post
                Margaret this is the internet, it's FULL off experts!
                Many are self proclaimed with little or no knowledge of the subject which does make it harder to find the good ones.

I personally do very limited processing on my IR shots, reading your comprehensive tips might get me doing a bit more!

There are some tips on the latest Infra red forum http://global-infrared.freeforums.net/, and I think I've seen some by InfraEdd, Kolari-vision, lifepixel... too. But I don't think any are as comprehensive as yours.

Thanks Mike, I hadn't come across that particular forum, I'll have a browse. Maybe I'll find An Expert!!
                Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. Lots of food for thought there, well explained.

John

Comment

Originally posted by MargaretR View Post
                    Thanks Mike, I hadn't come across that particular forum, I'll have a browse. Maybe I'll find An Expert!!
                    It's only been around a few months, formed when the previous one (Which was itself created to replace another overcome with spam...) suddenly disappeared, just as I was preparing a session for our local workshop. Fortunately I had the email adress of one of the moderators so was able to find the new one quickly.
                    After an initial burst it's been getting rather quieter lately - perhaps due to increased light giving a chance to SHOOT rather than type about it.

Only about 20 members as yet, but I think from the user names at least 3 of those who have yet to post are fairly experienced, and I've seen some interesting/useful stuff from several of the active members.
                    Mike
                    Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                    Flickr

Comment

Thanks for sharing your workflow Margaret its very informative.

Tom
                      "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

Working...
                      X