Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

IBIS on monopod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBIS on monopod

Do you normally turn off IBIS when the camera is mounted on a monopod? I believe IBIS has to be turned off when using a tripod.

Re: IBIS on monopod

Originally posted by ZulSim View Post
    Do you normally turn off IBIS when the camera is mounted on a monopod? I believe IBIS has to be turned off when using a tripod.
    EDITED
    You could use IS3 for horizontal shake only, but there be may some vertical as well so maybe leave it on anyhow. It depends how the photos turn out. Check for vertical blur with it on & if it's there then try IS3 instead as it could be over compensating.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

As there will still be some movement when using a monopod, I think that the answer is to keep IS turned on.
      Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

I agree with Dave. I've tried IS1, 3 and Off mainly in motorsports with the E-M1 and the 100-300 and 40-150 kit and Pro, and I can't see a consistent difference, so I leave it at IS1 so I don't forget to turn it back on
        Regards,
        Mark

------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Thanks. I will keep IS 1 turned on as recommended by Dave. In his Guide Book, Gary Friedman mentioned that IS 2, IS 3 & IS Auto are used for panning.

Comment

Actually I think it depends pretty much entirley on subject.

If subject is static then I have IBIS on, unless shutter speed is faster than about 1/1000 sec.

If subject is moving then I sent IBIS off.

Gary

Comment

The function of IS is to compensate for camera shake. I don't see how it can cater for subject movement. The subject can only be "frozen" by high shutter speed which itself would take care of camera shake.

Zul

Comment

I suspect Gary is referring to whether you're panning or not rather than on whether its a subject that's moving in the frame.
                Regards,
                Mark

------------------------------
                http://www.microcontrast.com
                Too much Oly gear.
                Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Hi, ZulSim. First and foremost, welcome to the forum.

The rules are, there are no rules but the ones that actually work for you.

The advantage with digital is that you are now able to push the envelope more.

When much younger and, with enough care, I could on many an occasion get good shots as slow as 1/20 hand held.

Over the years, that crept up to 1/1000 and is still climbing.

Just remember, each and every situation is borderline. We each need to test ourselves to find personal limits where slow speed movement becomes an issue
                  It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
                    As there will still be some movement when using a monopod, I think that the answer is to keep IS turned on.
                    +1, been doing it for years.

Comment

Working...
                    X