Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Macro photography using the 70-300 with EC14 and 35mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macro photography using the 70-300 with EC14 and 35mm

I have been asked a lot recently about my Macro shots so it thought I would devise this thread. I am no expert, its just what I do to get my shots.

These are all hand held. I have tried tripods and monopods but by the time I get into position or have set up the tripod the subjects have gone.

The pictures in this thread are taken with two different lenses, the 70-300 with an EC14 on an E400 and the others with a 35mm on a E420.

Both lenses have their advantages/disadvantages. The 70-300 with the EC14 is a superb lens for longer distance bugs and can produce a very good macro image from 15-20 feet away.

Four Spot Chaser Albrighton 16072013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

It is also a very versatile set up for many situations. I have had great success with the combo on Motorsport, Wildlife, Flora, Aviation and Birding. The disadvantage on Macro is that you are almost always shooting at full focal length so camera shake is unavoidable. If you incorporate this with the slightest of breeze or a tiny movement by the subject you are going to lose detail. Cropping will be required though and you will never get the same detail as the 35mm. I only use this combo on the sunniest of days with no breeze for Macro work.

The 35mm is undoubtedly the best lens I have bought and it gets masses of use, not just for Macro but I have used it for portraiture, landscapes and slower shutter motorsport with excellent results. This is the lens I would recommend if you are looking to do out and out macro work. I wouldn’t use a working distance of any more than 24-30 inches though. The results astound me and it has given me a whole new appreciation of smaller wildlife. I have a new found love for Wasps because they are such fascinating subjects and I will quite happily let them wander over my hand now. Some say the working distance is poor but I have never had an issue personally. The disadvantage would have to be the focal field you have to work with, it is very narrow.

eg;

Common Wasp Dothill Pool 07082013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

However it does widen the further away from your subject that you are. Just no room for error when in tight.

Peacock Butterflies feed in glorious sunshine Explored! by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Top Tips though;
    If it’s windy don’t bother. I never even attempt Macro now if there is a minimal breeze. When you are working with tiny subjects the slightest movement is huge in comparison to their body size.

Stability, don’t move, sway or shake. This was the hardest thing for me to master. Even consider your breathing. I find I am more stable whilst exhaling than I am inhaling. It seems trivial but it made a big difference to my final results.

Flash, I use it quite a lot. I seem to get better results. Just be aware of glare on things like Ladybirds, snails or beetles.

Know your subject. Watch what they do for a while, let them get used to your presence. Don’t dive in straight away and always approach with your camera always to your eye, pre-raised. I used to get near then raise the camera, I spooked so many butterflies and dragonflies doing this. Watch your camera strap too, that jiggling around spooks subjects easily.

When you find a bug take a few pictures not just one I always take half a dozen of each subject. A front or side view always seems to be more interesting than one from above but that is my opinion.

Watch your shadow, never cast a shadow on your subject, it will flee. Butterflies particularly.

You don’t have to get right on top of things though, the image quality is that good from the 35mm you can crop quite heavily.

Eg

Toad in the Grass 2 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Toad in the Grass 3 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Large White Butterfly Shawbury Heath 30072013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Large White Butterfly close Shawbury Heath 30072013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

With regard to manual or autofocus it very much depends on how I am feeling on that day. I probably use AF more.

Hope this helps some. The movement issue was the biggest single issue for me.
    Thanks
    Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/

Re: Macro photography using the 70-300 with EC14 and 35mm

A very useful guide and excellent macro shots Tim.

The wasp shot is superb.

Many thanks for sharing.
    Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
    OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
    Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Agreed, a very informative post Tim; thank you. I love the wasp photo but never in a million years would I consider letting one crawl over my hand! I think I will stick to flies or bees

Comment

Well thought out and informative thread, Tim, have to agree on every point made about both set-ups, although I tend to use my 70-300mm in manual mode for most of my Macro work.
        The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Visiting from 4/3rds user... very informative and well done post, I enjoyed it. Thanks...

Comment

Nicely done Tim.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by timmypreston View Post
              I am no expert
              Perhaps not, but you certainly do a damn fine impression!

Great post Tim!
              GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Thanks Tim, a very good post, I've tried several macro shots with my 70-300 without much success, so i'll be trying some of your observations and tips, and may be on the lookout for a 35mm....

Cheers

Peter
                OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Great pictures and very informative text, a fine piece of work.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Sorry Tim,
                    I meant to comment on the pictures as well !! Stunning Wasp shot and last pic of the large white..

Peter
                    OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                    www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Great shots all and thanks for the tips.

Mike C

Comment

Thank you very much for the inspiring post

Comment

Great shots. i know how difficult it is to acheive this on the 70-300 although I've tried! I don't have the 35mm, but I suppose I should really try using my 50mm more for bugs. I never seem to have it with me, although it's been good when I have.

Certainly it's given me food for thought and inspiration.....
                          Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
                          Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
                          Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Tim, you are far too modest!

Ian
                            Founder and editor of:
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you all very much for taking the time to pop in and read this thread. I've never written anything like this before. I have this forum to thank as I have taken on everybody's hints and tips over the past couple of years and applied it to my photography.

I was getting frustrated because I couldn't get the images I wanted but advice came flooding in. If this thread helps one person to enjoy macro I will be pleased.

Thanks again.
                              Thanks
                              Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/

Comment

Working...
                              X