Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: REALLY Bad Portraits Competition.

Originally posted by shirley View Post
    Janet, I am sorry but I think that this image has to be disallowed in this competion, not because it's taken on a samsung, but it does have two faces in it, they are looking at the camera, they are in focus, no distracting backgrounds etc... how good can it get.
    Now this might be getting closer?

"The objective (of a portrait) is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the subject. Like other types of portraiture, the focus of the photograph is the person's face" Wikipedia,
    hence my entry. The absence of a face engages the viewer in a 'what if' or a 'why' scenario, i.e If I could see his face what would I see? Why is he lying on an empty beach? Why is he wearing trousers, shoes and socks but no top? etc. The viewer has to work in order to engage with and interpret the image and goes away with a sense of satisfaction in knowing that he didn't just view an image he/she has interacted with it.
    The BS is great, but shooting in the style of Martin Parr is hardly a bad thing, is it?
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

"The split second too late, Portrait"

The artist has created here, a masterpiece of inestimable skills with the subjects posing in Olde England Woodland, dull and grey and generally 'washed out' in soft focus.

Man and Boy are not to be seen prancing over a carpet of "Autumn Leaves" they are particularly out of focus and, it must be said, out of shot almost intoto. Were that the artist depessed the shutter button, just a mere infinate part of a second earlier, what, may we have seen?

Perhaps a common composition of a delightful Toddler running, smile upon his face as he screams out, in joy, at the adult male he failed to chase - having tripped and fallen on a single, wayward branch befallen. Shi*te happens !

However, in the 21st Century and the idealistic, albeit, altogether majestic world of High Tech camera equipment - much of which with "face focal lock" functionality of Compact cameras, 'tis a damned shame this artist dasterdly used an archaic Olympus DSLR on this one competition entry ! At least it is not a common portrait of full frontal faces ! such a pleasant change

[I].
      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
        The received wisdom is that a classic portrait should:

Involve somone else.
        Use a 40 to 50mm "portrait" lens.
        Be carefully posed and considered beforehand.

I beg to differ:

Goog grief, Pete, whatever made you pick a nose like that for your lens? I mean a lens like that for your nose!

Sometimes breaking all the rules pays off and this is a strong contender!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by edmund473 View Post
          Hear I have shown my skills in composition and in focus background also in bokeh. please don't disqualify me this time John.

It's still rather too good, John, but it is redeemed by the bird having its back to the camera and appearing to have grown its own arm! This puts it amongst the front runners so far, Nice one!
          John

Comment

Peter, not only is that hilarious but it's very well executed too. Love it!
            John

Comment

Originally posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
              I have to say Janet's photo certainly doesn't belong in this thread.
              I'm looking for bad portraits but they're really hard to find or they've been deleted. The easy to find stuff is ... easy to find but wouldn't be appropriate here.
              I'll keep looking ...

..Ah found a one.
              E-600, out of focus, too-slow shutter, missing head and LOOK AT ALL THAT GRUNGEY NOISE.
              This definitely has award potential, a great moment badly captured! Well done, Ulfric.
              John

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                Pah! I really thought my first entry was a contender! I can't believe now that I was so pleased with it at the time...

Here's a more considered entry, with suitable AB to accompany it...

This is exactly what we are looking for, Janet, and I love the Artists Statement, too - it adds greatly to my enjoyment of a job so badly done it's good!
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                  "The split second too late, Portrait"

The artist has created here, a masterpiece of inestimable skills with the subjects posing in Olde England Woodland, dull and grey and generally 'washed out' in soft focus.

Man and Boy are not to be seen prancing over a carpet of "Autumn Leaves" they are particularly out of focus and, it must be said, out of shot almost intoto. Were that the artist depessed the shutter button, just a mere infinate part of a second earlier, what, may we have seen?

Perhaps a common composition of a delightful Toddler running, smile upon his face as he screams out, in joy, at the adult male he failed to chase - having tripped and fallen on a single, wayward branch befallen. Shi*te happens !

However, in the 21st Century and the idealistic, albeit, altogether majestic world of High Tech camera equipment - much of which with "face focal lock" functionality of Compact cameras, 'tis a damned shame this artist dasterdly used an archaic Olympus DSLR on this one competition entry ! At least it is not a common portrait of full frontal faces ! such a pleasant change

Ah, haven't I seen this somewhere before? As a contender for a prestigious award it simply excels. Never mind Taylor Wessing, this is straight into Kobal territory!
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                    Ah, haven't I seen this somewhere before? As a contender for a prestigious award it simply excels. Never mind Taylor Wessing, this is straight into Kobal territory!
                    Yeah! Boss you failed it for "Landscape" as it had "Peeps" in it (even part thereof Peeps ...) so I was saving it for NOW !
                    [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                      I see the figures you refer to, David, but I think it's pushing things a little far to describe it as a portrait.
                      That's why I posted it, I call it environmental portraiture.
                      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

This is exactly what we are looking for, Janet, and I love the Artists Statement, too - it adds greatly to my enjoyment of a job so badly done it's good!
                        Badly done? BADLY DONE? I'll have you know that it took me several glasses of Tyrannosaurus Red from the free bar before I could take that considered and beautifully composed image...it took time, commitment and hiccups to get that fine shot!

As for Chevvy's entry? Instant ban! It's quite obviously a landscape...

Janet
                        My flickr photostream....

Comment

Badly done? BADLY DONE? I'll have you know that it took me several glasses of Tyrannosaurus Red from the free bar before I could take that considered and beautifully composed image...it took time, commitment and hiccups to get that fine shot!

Janet
                          John

Comment

Another from me:-

"And good day to you, too, madam!"
                            John

Comment

Janet
                              NAY, Janet ! ... it was rejected in Landscape and Boss Zuiko said "it is clearly a Portrait"
                              [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                                NAY, Janet ! ... it was rejected in Landscape and Boss Zuiko said "it is clearly a Portrait"
                                Now, now, girls - keep yer knick...I mean yer hats on!
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X