Hi from Cheshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Cheshire

I got my first Olympus two weeks ago OMD E-M5 II and going through a steep learning curve.

I am a hobbyist who has been a Nikon shooter for years, but the sheer weight of the kit has been wearing me down. Taken the plunge and so far am blown away with what this little camera can do.

Only just discovered this forum today so a lot of browsing to do.

Dave

aka wornish
    Dave

My Flickr

Re: Hi from Cheshire

Hello Dave,

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like...

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Can anyone point me at the settings experienced users use on their E-M5 Mk2's. I know it depends on the type of photography each person does. I am into stills and do very little video so that will influence the settings I guess.
      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Hiya I'm no longer the newest person welcome. I bought an OMD EM1 and bought this

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/ma.../9781937538545

No word of a lie it was the best purchase ever as it is from a photographers point of view he works through every menu and even gives you recommended settings for every setting along with any advantage/disadvantage of each selection. It helped me no end. Don't know what the instructions are like on yours but the em1 ones are poor.

I'm guessing 90% of the menus cross over except the image stacking on your camera or he may even bring one out for yours. I'm sure someone else on here maybe better placed to answer that question.
        EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

Comment

If you search the forum for "Settings" you will find a lot of discussions about the various ways to do it:

THIS however is one of the better guides from one of our favorite users.

Just by way of interest, I often do a factory reset and make minimal changes and tweeks. But I do a lot in manual mode.
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

A warm welcome Dave.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

Hi welcome to the forum.

I recently got a EM 5 MkII and still learning how to use it the link in Grahams post is good place to start.
              You canít make a great musician or a great photographer if the magic isnít there. ~ Eve Arnold

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.

Comment

I have just ordered this book by David Thorpe seems to fit the bill for what I need.

The Olympus E-M5II Menu System Simplified
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Welcome from me too.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                    I have just ordered this book by David Thorpe seems to fit the bill for what I need.

The Olympus E-M5II Menu System Simplified
                    Dave would be interested in your review as I found both books I bought before (for previous cameras) only slightly better than the manual. And that isn't a great recommendation.

Welcome and thanks for posting your picture to the communal butterfly thread

regards
                    Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
                      Dave would be interested in your review as I found both books I bought before (for previous cameras) only slightly better than the manual. And that isn't a great recommendation.

Welcome and thanks for posting your picture to the communal butterfly thread

regards

It was David Thorpe's YouTube video review of the E-M5II that convinced me to buy the camera in the first place due to his easy and honest style.

His new book "The Olympus E-M5II Menu System Simplified" arrived today.

Its only a small book really a booklet and not over produced (not even got page numbers although the index does refer to them) But ... for the price £7.84 from Amazon, it certainly helped me set the camera up the way I need as a starting point. As I use the camera more I am sure I will tweak the settings.

Because its written by a brit its explanations of what each function does and examples of when you might use them is certainly better than the Olympus manual. If I was Olympus I would include a copy with each camera.

Its not perfect for everyone I am sure and you have to sit down and spend time to go through the whole thing. But thats because as David says this camera can actually be 4 cameras in one.
                      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                        It was David Thorpe's YouTube video review of the E-M5II that convinced me to buy the camera in the first place due to his easy and honest style.

His new book "The Olympus E-M5II Menu System Simplified" arrived today.

Its only a small book really a booklet and not over produced (not even got page numbers although the index does refer to them) But ... for the price £7.84 from Amazon, it certainly helped me set the camera up the way I need as a starting point. As I use the camera more I am sure I will tweak the settings.

Because its written by a brit its explanations of what each function does and examples of when you might use them is certainly better than the Olympus manual. If I was Olympus I would include a copy with each camera.

Its not perfect for everyone I am sure and you have to sit down and spend time to go through the whole thing. But thats because as David says this camera can actually be 4 cameras in one.
                        Thank you. I will have a look at that video and then check out Amazon. I have another guide in my basket, waiting which is a lot more money. so maybe Ill swap them

As a return did you see this set-up guide on DPR http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55564166
                        There is a video and the spoken words as text is also there.

My problem is even what I know gets forgotten when I am out and about. I set up things and forget the details (especially in my modes) I must keep a little black book.
                        Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
                          Thank you. I will have a look at that video and then check out Amazon. I have another guide in my basket, waiting which is a lot more money. so maybe Ill swap them

As a return did you see this set-up guide on DPR http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55564166
                          There is a video and the spoken words as text is also there.

My problem is even what I know gets forgotten when I am out and about. I set up things and forget the details (especially in my modes) I must keep a little black book.

Glad I am not the only one who needs a little black book to remember things when I am out ! It would be great if you could actually rename the Mysetup modes to something personal for you.

Yes thanks I have seen the set up guide on DPR. He goes a bit fast for me and it seems a bit more video use orientated where I really only do stills.
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na5D0VFI1AQ"]E-M5 II Overview Training Tutorial (Olympus O-MD) - YouTube[/ame] is another set-up guide to EM5 mk ii by Tony Northrup.
                            All comment and criticism welcome
                            OMD-EM5ii : OLY 12-40mm f2.8 PRO : OLY 45mm f1.8 : OLY 12-50mm : OLY 60mm macro
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/49831405@N06/

Comment

Working...
                            X