Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howdo :)

Hi,

been lurking here for a few months since buying an OM-D E-M5.

love photography, but not particularly good at it

i've had a range of camera's over the last three years. started with
    a Fuji HS20EXR, then moved briefly to a Nikon D3100, then a D5100 before
    getting fed up with the bulk of a DSLR and moving onto a Panny G2.

a panny G5 followed, then "finally" the E-M5 which i think is fantastic.

recently got the bug for older OM series lenses... have an Auto-S 50mm f/1.8
    and an Auto-T 135mm f/3.5 (thanks timg ) which i'm currently enjoying
    immensely.

other interests (apart from wifey and kids) is playing guitar in my band.

hope to learn a fair bit from the more experienced contributors here
    Last edited by ste_p0270; 19th October 2014, 08:02 PM. Reason: typo's
    Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Re: howdo

Originally posted by ste_p0270 View Post
    Hi,

been lurking here for a few months since buying an OM-D E-M5.

love photography, but not particularly good at it

i've had a range of camera's over the last three years. started with
    a Fuji HS20EXR, then moved briefly to a Nikon D3100, then a D5100 before
    getting fed up with the bulk of a DSLR and moving onto a Panny G2.

a panny G5 followed, then "finally" the E-M5 which i think is fantastic.

recently got the bug for older OM series lenses... have an Auto-S 50mm f/1.8
    and an Auto-T 135mm f/3.5 (thanks timg ) which i'm currently enjoying
    immensely.

other interests (apart from wifey and kids) is playing guitar in my band.

hope to learn a fair bit from the more experienced contributors here
    G'day Ste. Good to see you here & hope to see some of your efforts. You can even post a selfie of you playing your guitar too.

Hope you enjoy your E-M5 kit.

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Welcome.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Welcome from me too. It would be great to see some gig images or even a video?
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

thanks for the warm welcome - much appreciated.

not quite a gigging level yet... we "reformed" about 8 months ago
          (had an 18 year hiatus!!) and are working on new tunes which we'll
          hopefully be playing just after Christmas.

guitar selfie? i'm too shy for that

there are a few pics of me and the band on our website... i linked it in the
          contact info bit of my user profile. have a look if you like, but turn your speakers down
          if you click on any of the song links
          Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

A warm welcome from me.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

Well Hello there - great collection of images on your Flickr - much enjoyed and a gift for you

http://www.studleygrange.co.uk/butte...ld/gallery.htm

Here at Studley Grange Gallery as you hover your "mouse" over the image it presents the Butterfly name

Looking forward to seeing more of your images here on the Oly e 4 M
              [I].
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

love it
                Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

thanks timg
                  Glad you're enjoying it!

not quite a gigging level yet... we "reformed" about 8 months ago (had an 18 year hiatus!!) and are working on new tunes which we'll hopefully be playing just after Christmas.
                  That's quite a hiatus! Had a quick listen, really like paper over the cracks... nice use of rhythm changes! I play in a band too... bit more mainstream that you though!

How do you find getting gigs? It's the bane of our lives as it's one of those jobs no-one likes doing...
                  GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                    Glad you're enjoying it!

That's quite a hiatus! Had a quick listen, really like paper over the cracks... nice use of rhythm changes! I play in a band too... bit more mainstream that you though!

How do you find getting gigs? It's the bane of our lives as it's one of those jobs no-one likes doing...
                    Some of my friends use an "agent for bookings" and have their own website and go to Wedding Fares the latter they get a few weddings; hen and stag do's and 21st ; 30 ; 40; and 60th birthday parties
                    [I].
                    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                      Some of my friends use an "agent for bookings" and have their own website and go to Wedding Fares the latter they get a few weddings; hen and stag do's and 21st ; 30 ; 40; and 60th birthday parties
                      We've contemplated using an agent, though recently the singer and I have been going out as an acoustic duo and getting a few gigs that way (people seem to be willing to take a risk for a duo when they might not for a full band) and then promoting the band to the landlords after that... seems to get a foot in the door.

I've not thought of wedding fares, though I'm always a little skeptical of playing at weddings... I've played weddings before where the bride and groom have seen you play before and love what you do, but if the rest of guests aren't on board it can be a looong evening, saying that we have had some great weddings too!
                      GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                        Glad you're enjoying it!

thanks for the kind words.

not quite at gigging stage yet tbh. we've had a few detours in the last month or so (health etc )
                        but would probably be looking at maybe Jan / Feb to do a few opening slots.
                        i think for our type of music, there are always places that will book you, plus
                        i know quite a few other in bands who would let us open for them

timg, have you got a link to your music?
                        Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

i think for our type of music, there are always places that will book you, plus i know quite a few other in bands who would let us open for them
                          Always useful to know a few contacts!

timg, have you got a link to your music?
                          We really do need to update our site but this has got some of our songs on it:

www.echoesonline.co.uk

These were all just recorded at home... unfortunately our second guitar player left last year and we've not replaced him and as most of our original songs were written with 2 guitar parts in mind we need to re-work everything which we still haven't done so we're back to being 99% covers again...

Comment

always a bind when people leave...

been through enough of that during our first stint during the early 90's :/

had a quick listen... quite a chilled vibe you have got there. impressive

do you have G.A.S with guitars / amps etc?

i'm quickly getting that way, much to my wife's dismay
                            Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

always a bind when people leave... been through enough of that during our first stint during the early 90's :/
                              He was also my oldest friend, and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be in the band but unfortunately he moved too far away to make it feasible...

had a quick listen... quite a chilled vibe you have got there. impressive
                              Thanks!

do you have G.A.S with guitars / amps etc?

i'm quickly getting that way, much to my wife's dismay
                              Thankfully for SWMBO my guitar GAS is nowhere near my camera GAS! I just use a Fender valve amp and a Les Paul Studio... I don't really consider myself good enough to warrant spending any more than I have!

My other favourite toy is my MIDI pedal though... I link it up to my laptop at gigs and use it to trigger synths in the background, can really help fill the sound out with just one guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X