howdo :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: howdo

if it works for you, that's all that matters... i've seen some "amateur" bands with more
    gear than the pro's.

i run my guitar(s) through a zoom G5 modeller directly into an electro voice ZLX-15P
    (active PA speaker)... gives me exactly the tone that i need. i did originally run the G5
    through a marshall 150w combo but was never happy with the sound, even when i
    used the FX loop.

you'll have to let me know if you're ever in the Midlands gigging, i'd definitely like to
    hear your stuff live
    Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

so you're not using a traditional amp at all then? interesting...

We've not been further north than Newton Abbot so I doubt that will happen!
      GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

My Guitar, well its Black laquer right pertty ... and sits very pretty in a corner of the living room (hidden in the back room are my "learn to play Guitar" books and DVDs and notes from a lesson or two ... one of these days I shall have to get the amp nick bought the next year (to go with it) down from the loft

I find my hands are a bit small and fingers not long ... and its awkward holding the ? long bit ? headstock ? or I need to do physio to get my hand over my wrist and headstock ?

any tips gratefully received
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

lol @ Chevvy

practice practice practice. same as photography

no, tim... i opted for the FRFR approach. it's not to everyone's taste, but hey, life would
          be boring if we all like the same thing?

i used to use a "conventional" set-up years ago.. a marshall JMP-1 pre-amp, into a
          marshall valvestate 80-80 stereo power amp, into a marshall 4 x 12

i just find the new modelling pedals very appealing... they sound very authentic. you do
          need to run them through a non-biased amp / speaker though (hence the active PA) as
          you are effectively already emulating a speaker (the chain would be something like this
          for me - noise reduction>metal pedal>fender FD combi>fender 2 x 12 cab) - bear in
          mind these options are all software emulations. a conventional guitar speaker would
          "colour" the sound as it can't cope with the high and low frequencies generated by the
          emulated set-up. a keyboard amp could also be used too.

it's all as clear as mud :/
          Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

Originally posted by ste_p0270 View Post
            lol @ Chevvy

practice practice practice. same as photography

no, tim... i opted for the FRFR approach. it's not to everyone's taste, but hey, life would
            be boring if we all like the same thing?

i used to use a "conventional" set-up years ago.. a marshall JMP-1 pre-amp, into a
            marshall valvestate 80-80 stereo power amp, into a marshall 4 x 12

i just find the new modelling pedals very appealing... they sound very authentic. you do
            need to run them through a non-biased amp / speaker though (hence the active PA) as
            you are effectively already emulating a speaker (the chain would be something like this
            for me - noise reduction>metal pedal>fender FD combi>fender 2 x 12 cab) - bear in
            mind these options are all software emulations. a conventional guitar speaker would
            "colour" the sound as it can't cope with the high and low frequencies generated by the
            emulated set-up. a keyboard amp could also be used too.

it's all as clear as mud :/
            errr ? I have not a clue what your talking about

But yes I MUST practice ... and it is on my List for Retirement, when we have moved, unpacked and sorted out "Stuff" by the lorry load

I have to admit, with all the children we cared for, and all the paperwork that entailed and all the courses/training - I used my freetime for Photography or riding motorbikes things wot I knew how to do

ps I also have a beautiful V & H Clarinet and an amazing Keyboards ... the Clarinet to re learn ... and keyboards from when I was a kid playing piano and my brothers Electric keyboards/organ"

One day soon ... I will surprise you ... with a recording of me playing "Yesterday" or "coming Home" on the NAY MY GUITAR.
            [I].
            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

why put it off? a spare 30 minutes here and there can make all of the difference
              Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

why put it off? a spare 30 minutes here and there can make all of the difference
                i just find the new modelling pedals very appealing... they sound very authentic. you do need to run them through a non-biased amp / speaker though (hence the active PA) as you are effectively already emulating a speaker (the chain would be something like this for me - noise reduction>metal pedal>fender FD combi>fender 2 x 12 cab) - bear in mind these options are all software emulations. a conventional guitar speaker would "colour" the sound as it can't cope with the high and low frequencies generated by the emulated set-up. a keyboard amp could also be used too.
                All the recordings we've made have been done using a Line 6 Tone Port and I've been happy with the results, though to be honest I've never really contemplated using a modeled setup for live gigs... you've got me thinking now!!

p.s. I've 'paper' going around in my head for the last couple of days... good sign!
                GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                  p.s. I've 'paper' going around in my head for the last couple of days... good sign!
                  lol, we call it our "pop" song... little different to what we normally do tbh

back at ya... liking "bones" a lot... cool tune indeed. can we cover it?

the good thing about modelling and FRFR is that once you find your tone, it's
                  pretty much guaranteed consistent though PA, Monitors and a mixing desk.

much less messing about and tweaking between venues etc.

as mentioned, it's not to everyone's taste, there are still those who hanker
                  the "old" analogue / valve sound.
                  i just like the relative simplicity of having "one" sound wherever i plug in.

google FRFR... there's a minefield of information
                  Ste

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

Working...
                  X