Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all!

Hello,

I'm new here and have just traded my Pentax K-30 (plus many many pounds) for an E-M1 with 12-40 PRO. Very pleased with it, it feels nice and solid in the hand, and I would appreciate any critique of my first few images (in my album 'Misc').

I look forward to improving my photography with this camera, and learning lots from this forum.

Graham.

Re: Hello all!

Hello Graham. Welcome to the forum I don't have the O.M.D.-M1 I have the O.M.D.-M-5 my best camera love it. Look forward to seeing your Photo's regards John. P/S I used to live in Graffham you probably Know it.
    Olympus E3] [E300] OMD-M5 12.50mm] ZD [40.150] ZD [14.45] ZD 50.200] ZD [14.54] ZD [35macro] ZD [11.22] ZD [1.4x EC- 14] ZD [EX-25] [RM. CB 1] [FL-36] [FL-50]
    Manfrotto Tripod.

Comment

Welcome Graham We are just moving near to Chichester (well very close to the Pagham Wildlife Reserve actually, in Selsey East Beach area ) and we shall not be far from Arundel Castle ; Town AND WETLANDS I like "Nature/Wildlife photography" LOTS )

Nick and I already "frequent" Chichester and we like it more than Winchester (our now City) so are really looking forward to the impending MOVE and RETIREMENT YEAH!

I did take a look at your three images - love "the Street" in mono it looks superb Stunning infact and I hope to get into Chi for much "street" togging too - as well as Market days and ... shopping
      [I].
      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

G'day Graham.
        Welcome from downunder!

I wish I had a violin of your name sake (although the first one I made was modelled on one of his), but this one does me instead.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your welcome thread with this, but your forum name.......
        [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarneri"]Guarneri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Well, that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

I must add, your first 3 photos are nice interesting images. I will be looking out for more.

Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

A warm welcome.
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

Welcome aboard! I've had the EM-1 & 12-40 since January, and love them - I'm sure you will too.
            Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

Welcome from me, too.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Thank you all for your replies and kind comments, it's nice to get such a warm welcome!

Chichester does have some good photo opportunities, and I hope to be able to do them justice in the months to come. Maybe see you around town Chevvyf1!

Lovely looking violin Ross the fiddler. I play the violin myself (and cello, sort of) and also hope to build my own one day, when I can muster the patience. Good work!

Comment

And a warm welcome from me also
                  “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
                  ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Guarneri View Post
                    Thank you all for your replies and kind comments, it's nice to get such a warm welcome!

Chichester does have some good photo opportunities, and I hope to be able to do them justice in the months to come. Maybe see you around town Chevvyf1!

Lovely looking violin Ross the fiddler. I play the violin myself (and cello, sort of) and also hope to build my own one day, when I can muster the patience. Good work!
                    I thought you probably played & I sort of play the cello too being virtually self taught on that since high school (many years ago). I also have a cheats way of playing 'cello' with having 'octave' strings (Sensicore) on my viola. Also, thanks for the nice comment on my violin photo & I must say that your working life would be an interesting but challenging & possibly traumatic one at times.

Ross
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

That sounds interesting, what sort of results do you get with those strings on your viola? I might try some on mine. Yes my job has the potential to be traumatic. We are only tasked to people with life threatening/life changing injuries, which means we only see major trauma rather than broken ankles etc. There was a definite point when I first started which was a sink or swim moment, and luckily I was able to detach and treat it as just part of the job. From a photography standpoint, there are some amazing opportunities to be had, but one has to be careful as it is inappropriate to photograph people in compromising situations, and in some cases we are at a crime scene and are not allowed to take pictures anyway. I will start taking my camera with me, however, and see what I can (appropriately) come up with.

Comment

I have been "blessed" and met up with many Oly 4 m'ers here and had some great outings and chats - it is amazing how a "solo" not Team hobby can bring people together ! and I have learned much from Oly 4 m 'ers here Stourhead was a great meetup ... at dawn

We even go away twice a year with other friends who are also Togs (although not Oly kit) we forgive them
                        [I].
                        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

That sounds interesting, what sort of results do you get with those strings on your viola? I might try some on mine. Yes my job has the potential to be traumatic. We are only tasked to people with life threatening/life changing injuries, which means we only see major trauma rather than broken ankles etc. There was a definite point when I first started which was a sink or swim moment, and luckily I was able to detach and treat it as just part of the job. From a photography standpoint, there are some amazing opportunities to be had, but one has to be careful as it is inappropriate to photograph people in compromising situations, and in some cases we are at a crime scene and are not allowed to take pictures anyway. I will start taking my camera with me, however, and see what I can (appropriately) come up with.
                          The results for the octave viola are surprisingly good acoustically but I also have an L R Baggs pick-up bridge on it too & when put through amplification it is really quite good. I also bought Sensicore Octave Violin strings though haven't used them yet, but some say the octave E string is not as good as it could be & use a normal D string (tuned up) instead. The vibrations of the low C string (on the viola) is intense & a little disturbing under the jaw (I might have caused some damage to my ear drums at first or else it was just coincidental with an infection) & when I play it now I relieve the jaw contact while playing those low notes loud to be comfortable, but it is fun! I'll PM you with more details soon.

I look forward (I think) to seeing some of your photos that are suitable for public showing (the scenery ones perhaps).
                          I still recall when flying back home in the mid 80's (in a Focker F27) from Dubbo over the west of Sydney & looking down & realising I could see a derailed train below & then seeing it on the news that night. These things don't happen every day for most of us.
                          Ross

Comment

Working...
                          X