Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Panasonic 100-400 Photo Show saga. Buyers warning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic 100-400 Photo Show saga. Buyers warning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Re: Panasonic 100-400 Photo Show saga. Buyers warning.

Sorry to hear that you had this problem; glad that your camera was cleaned again by Olympus and doesn't appear to have suffered any permanent damage.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Thanks again, Phil.

I had seen quite a few complaints of this kind last year and it seemed to be acknowledged that Panasonics QA wasn't all it should be, with some lenses being perfect and some displaying the problems you have had. I decided then that I would keep my 75-300 until Olympus brought their own version out.

Unfortunately (for me) Oly decided that their first venture into long zooms would be the most expensive one, the 150-400 Pro, too rich for my pocket or use. I will now wait patiently for Oly to bring out the long zoom which was mentioned on their latest Lens Road Map but I fear I will be waiting a couple of years or more.

Thanks again for the update

Keith

Comment

Hi Phill, given the last I heard regarding Panasonic's service history or lack of regarding that lens I think you may have had a fortunate escape.

To refuse to repair or offer service for a lens of that price when it's out of warranty beggars belief. Ok, they do offer a replacement at a cost only slightly less than the full price but that is little consolation if the lens is only 2 yrs old. It's an item I seriously considered buying until I searched the web and discovered the facts.

Maybe they have changed their practice now as it's a while since I looked but frankly it put me off anything with a Panasonic name on it.

Darkroom

Comment

Very sorry to hear this Phill. Hard to understand how the mount could be made wrong with all the fine tolerances inside the lens. At least the swarf was probably not from the critical butting surfaces. I've been very happy with my Panny f2.8 pair, but recent reports of service problems don't inspire me to get any more at the moment.
          Bruce

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

Comment

I bought my Pan100-400 soon after release and the 'fit' seems much the same as my other Oly lenses. Out of curiosity I photographed the mounts of both my Pan lens and my much-used Oly 12-50.

There are several visual differences in the two mounts, with slightly different profiles to the flanges but, in my case, it is the Oly mount, where it looks as though plating has flaked off, to show the brass underneath.

Mike
            visit my Natural History Photos website:
            http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I've had this lens from new and not had any problems with the bayonet fitting, but I have read about others having similar problems. I did have a problem with the foot coming loose which I fixed myself, but that is such a poor design. All other makes of telephotos have a foot which is part of a loop going round the lens. The Panasonic one just has 2 or 3 short screws into the lens body. With the lack of service and the poor foot design I would be reluctant to buy another Panasonic telephoto lens. Glad you managed to get a refund and no damage to the camera.
                Andy
                bengeo.com

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                  I bought my Pan100-400 soon after release and the 'fit' seems much the same as my other Oly lenses. Out of curiosity I photographed the mounts of both my Pan lens and my much-used Oly 12-50.

There are several visual differences in the two mounts, with slightly different profiles to the flanges but, in my case, it is the Oly mount, where it looks as though plating has flaked off, to show the brass underneath.

Interesting photo. Notice that it shows quite well the difference in the position of the screws that secure the mount. It transpires that the Oly sealing ring on the body slightly clips the Panasonic screws so probably means that the water proofing is compromised. So much for standards!
                  Paul
                  E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

Maybe this is one lens that is best bought second hand Mark.
                    I'm not sure what the main issue is I suspect it is corners that are too sharp on the flange machining and either they left slight burs on it or if it's coated, as I suspect it is, the coating just didn't take on the corners properly. In addition the seal ring on the 100-400 did seem to protrude more than the rings on any of my Oly lenses. I think that is what was making the fit very tight. It wouldn't help matters by pressing the flange faces together harder I guess. Sounds to me that Panasonic had a bad QA'd batch of lenses and maybe there are still some floating around. Or maybe the quality control is just not up to what it should be. Either way I'd have hoped both Wex and Panasonic would have been a little more interested in the issue than they appeared to be at the show.

Comment

It does make me wonder -

Given that it would appear the first batch of the 100-400 were suspect and caused many complaints but later many people are happy with what could be possibly new stock after Panny were made aware of the problem, maybe WEX were getting rid of some old stock at decent prices?

Just a thought.

Off line for three weeks now so will try to catch up on return

Keith

Comment

Yes i wondered that too Keith. Or it could be that they had another QA dip? Either way i dont feel like using my camera as a pass fail gauge

Comment

Maybe try out that 50-500 instead. Would be cheaper.
                          * Henry
                          * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Yes but a lot heavier Henry. No I think it's going to be the Oly x2 converter for me to use on my 40-150.

Comment

I am not too sure about that X2. First you loose 2 stops of light that means f5.6 Also that extra glass could lower that IQ. As for IQ, that 50-500 is not brilliant either
                              * Henry
                              * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X